I AM A SNOWMAKER Voting, Bristol & Hunter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I AM A SNOWMAKER Voting, Bristol & Hunter

marznc
The annual SAM I Am A Snowmaker voting period is open until Jan. 21, 2020.  Daily voting possible, no registration required.  The winning crew gets bragging rights.  The nominees include Bristol and Hunter this time, along with Gunstock, Pat's Peak, and Killington in the northeast.  The other nominees are Aspen/Snowmass, and Eaglecrest.

The Hunter video is good fun.  The one for Bristol starts with Ron Ratnik.

Hunter
https://www.saminfo.com/i-am-a-snowmaker?start=5

Bristol
https://www.saminfo.com/i-am-a-snowmaker?start=2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I AM A SNOWMAKER Voting, Bristol & Hunter

Brownski
Killington is the only possible answer.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Brownski wrote
Agree given the choices
Sunday River also has serious firepower
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Depends.  This isn't about firepower, it's about the snowmaking crew and what they accomplish for the given terrain with the available snowmaking infrastructure.  In past years the winning team hasn't always been the one working at a destination resort.  With daily voting, also makes a difference if there is support by people willing to vote daily for a couple weeks.

Sunapee was the winner in 2019.  The other finalists in the northeast included Wildcat and Mt Ste. Anne.  Taos and Mammoth were included from the west, as well as Panorama in BC.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Nobody in the west should be considered. C'mon.

Killington is awesome, but Hunter has to get a permanent prize just for the fact that they only get 80 inches of natural in a good year. And probably four inches of rain.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by marznc
Attitude, professionalism, expertise, quality of product... Killington wins on all counts. I’m also happy to see the daily plan is still being written in marker on a map on the wall.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Brownski wrote
Attitude, professionalism, expertise, quality of product... Killington wins on all counts. I’m also happy to see the daily plan is still being written in marker on a map on the wall.
I have no doubt that there are many snowmaking teams who deserve to be finalists.  There is a different list of finalists every year, no repeats.  I always learn something reading the descriptions and watching the videos.  Have to say that the Killington video is relatively boring, especially compared to Hunter and Bristol.  It feels like a marketing video.  The other two have far more personality.

This year one of the questions that the teams had to answer seems to be "What would your team name be if snowmaking were a professional sport?"  For Killington, the answer is The Water Hogs.  For Hunter, it's The Misfits. For Bristol, it's The Nucleators.  A much larger percentage of the Briston snowmakers ski/board than at Hunter or Killington.

I've never voted for a destination resort.  I don't vote for teams in the west.  Easier for me to pick a team to support as I've skied more places.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnny V.
As a Bristol homeboy, I've got to give credit to our crew-they've done a remarkable job this year of making snow whenever possible. Bristol ownership deserves kudos also for flipping the snowmaking switch at every opportunity. It's got to be disheartening to see the dollars flowing down the hill with every warmup.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Drumroll . . . and the winner is: Bristol!

https://www.saminfo.com/headline-news/9473-bristol-mountain-wins-2019-20-i-am-a-snowmaker-contest
"AM Magazine—Natick, Mass., Jan. 28, 2020—The snowmaking crew from Bristol Mountain, N.Y., emerged as the winner in this year’s HKD and SAM “I AM a Snowmaker” contest. More than 10,000 votes were cast for the seven resort snowmaking crews in a close contest, with Bristol coming out on top by only a few hundred votes. The 13-day voting period concluded Jan. 21. IAMWinnerHN

The Bristol crew will receive a break-room makeover prize from HKD and industry recognition for their dedication to and passion for the art of snowmaking.
. . ."
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski