I admit I haven't been paying attention to Tebow.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I admit I haven't been paying attention to Tebow.

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I've been getting Sports Illustrated from my sis for YEARS.  I finally admitted to her last year that I hadn't opened it in five years. So she cancelled the subscription she given me as a Christmas present for the last 35 years.

Yet it still comes!

Tebow is on the cover, so I cracked it but still couldn't figure out:

Why is he so fascinating to people?

I admit I didn't read it very carefully.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I admit I haven't been paying attention to Tebow.

Sick Bird Rider
News arrives very slowly to the Hinterlands. Lately, the dogsleds have been mired in mud. That and we only get three channels on the TV. Seriously. Anyway, this Tebow thing has been coming up a lot lately and I was under the impression that it was a verb. Looked it up on Google and everything. As in, this is a Tebow:

Am I missing something?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Tebow is the worst quarterback in the NFL, but he somehow wins games despite being totally inept (the Broncos defense has been insanely awesome lately).  Tebow is also very religious - Every single interview he mentions how Jesus Christ, his Lord and Savior is responsible for looking after him and allowing him to win (and if was ever to lose, I'm sure Jesus would be behind that too).  Whenever anything good happens (TD, Game winning FG, etc.), Tebow does that kneel thing to pray to his Lord and Savior.

Lindsey Vonn did it as a tribute (and because it's kind of an internet thing now - celebrating everything by Tebowing).  And now there's a rumor that she and Tebow are dating.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
mattchuck2 wrote
Tebow is the worst quarterback in the NFL, but he somehow wins games despite being totally inept (the Broncos defense has been insanely awesome lately).  Tebow is also very religious - Every single interview he mentions how Jesus Christ, his Lord and Savior is responsible for looking after him and allowing him to win (and if was ever to lose, I'm sure Jesus would be behind that too).  Whenever anything good happens (TD, Game winning FG, etc.), Tebow does that kneel thing to pray to his Lord and Savior.

Lindsey Vonn did it as a tribute (and because it's kind of an internet thing now - celebrating everything by Tebowing).  And now there's a rumor that she and Tebow are dating.
Excellent summary, Mattchuck2, thank you. I am now completely up to speed.

Carry on.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Excellent summary, Mattchuck2, thank you. I am now completely up to speed.
I envy your hinterlandian lack of pop culture knowledge. Sadly, even I know about this Tebowing thing and I don't watch football, don't have cable TV, and plain ole' just don't care. Sometimes, you just can't escape it.

Yet you've come looking for enlightenment on what so many wish they could avoid all together. The quest for knowledge is often much more fulfilling than the actual education.

Sidenote: Am I the only one baffled by any athlete believing in divine providence for winning a sports game? Their deity of choice has nothing better to do than pick winners of all sporting games and thinks so little of self determination and the best man/team winning? Inevitably every team loses. Tebowing whenever a fumble or a sack happens... that would be truly following such beliefs to their logical conclusion. Counting hits, ignoring misses...
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Why is he so fascinating to people?
Plain and simple ... Marketing!!! His strong Christian faith is a great marketing tool.

In a sense, he's no different than say Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian (except for maybe a few things!). He is, at this point, a mediocre talent at best, however, the NFL is doing a tremendous job of marketing him, resulting in more money for the NFL. They're selling Tebow jerseys like crazy, ka-ching.

With the current NFL television contracts up for renewal in 2013, anything they can do to keep viewership up means more money for the NFL!!! If you want to get really cynical and conspiracy minded, you might even think that the NFL has become the new WWF(E) ... World Wrestling Federation (Entertainment).
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

BigDogMom
I know Harvey has a No Politics/No Religion clause – so I understand that my post might be removed.  

As all things spiritual, “Tebow” will be different things for different people.  I do believe that God is present in everyone, everywhere.  The mere fact that we are all talking about Tebow is a testament to the work of God.  Tebow, and many others honor and praise God for their accomplishments.   If you see this as the hand of God, then you feel blessed to be a witness.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
BigDogMom wrote
I know Harvey has a No Politics/No Religion clause – so I understand that my post might be removed.  
I'm not removing it.

I'm as responsible as anyone here. If I'd read the sports illustrated article, I'd probably know much of the discussion of Mr Tebow seems to be linked with religion.

The real point of that "rule" is to discourage prolonged discussion of articles of faith (not just religion).

Maybe that's too vague. To be honest it's a little vague in my mind. It just seems like a good rule.

Just sayin ... my own personal god wouldn't take sides in a football game, but that's just me. And if he did he'd be an NFC guy.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

BigDogMom
And this reply is probably why it’s best not to talk about religion or politics on a skiing blog…. Sorry I commented on the post because I certainly did not wish to elicit this type of response.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Tebow just took the field in Syracuse for the Syracuse Mets.

Opening Day at NBT Bank Stadium.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Question becomes....with each level he moves up will he continue to put more butts in seats.  He did it at Single A, he did it at Double A, will he do it at Triple A?  He’s been average both defensively and at the plate at the lower levels, and has maybe better than average power?  He’s going to see much better pitching in Triple A, we’ll see if he can make the necessary adjustments.  I like him, and his story, and appreciate his faith....but I don’t think he’ll make the Show.  Good on him for trying, though, and getting as far as he has.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm curious as well. I too like him, all the guy ever did on the football field was win. Guess time will tell if he makes the Bigs or not. Regardless I'll be looking forward to watching him in Cuse --- buddy of mine is a big shot banker with NBT to we get the box