I had a stroke

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I had a stroke

D.B. Cooper
This past July I had an ischemic stroke.  I’m fine now, fully recovered, in large part due to luck.

When my “event” hit, I was standing.  I saw a flash of light and was unable to move my right hand or talk.  I couldn’t talk because I was unable to find any words.  There was some weakness and one side of my face drooped a bit.  There was no physical pain.  I’m telling you this to encourage you to talk with your loved ones about “what to do if.”

I was able to get to the hospital quickly.  With my type of stroke, if you get to the hospital within the first 3, maybe 4 hours, you will probably be administered a clot busting drug.  I was, and shortly after was transported by helicopter to a hospital that had a neurology unit.  I was in ICU for 2 days.  My ability to construct sentences came back about two hours after the “event” hit.  My speech was back to 90% by day three.

The most likely cause was that a clot went to my brain via a hole in my heart.  Technically I think it’s that “a thrombus breached the patent foramen ovale.”

Here are some of my suggestions:

- Know your medications, names and doses
- If you haven’t yet, this Christmas ask about your family medical history.  You may find surprises.
- With your friends or loved ones, have a hand gesture that indicates, “I need to get to a hospital.”  Keep in mind that a stroke or similar event can happen when you’re driving.
- As 98.6 is the average body temperature, yours may be different.  Baseline your body temperature by taking a few measurements of your own.
- Ask your physician about other measurements, like cholesterol and blood sugar.  If you don’t know digits exactly, know at least whether your levels are high, medium or low.
- Have an emergency contact in your phone.  If you don’t know how to do this, do an internet search for “ICE” (In Case of Emergency) to get instructions.
- Baseline your speech.  You can do this my recording yourself (or loved ones) reading The Grandfather Passage (page 1) or The Rainbow Passage (page 6).  These writings are designed to measure speech intelligibility.
- See if your area 911 texting capability (in case you can’t talk or are in an emergency where you need to remain silent).  In the U.S., the Federal Communications Commission publishes a list of counties where you can text 911
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I had a stroke

Brownski
Holy crap, D.B. I am glad to hear you’re recovering well. My mother has experienced multiple strokes over the last few years with much worse results then yours long term. It’s certainly something you want to be on your toes for, as you say. Will it stop you from skiing this year?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Sorry to hear that DB.  Glad you got quick care and are recovered.  It’s easy to take good health for granted, but your experience and advice remind us that the unexpected can (and does) happen, and being aware and having some simple discussions can save a life.  Thanks for sharing.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Will it stop you from skiing this year?
F*** no.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
This past July I had an ischemic stroke.  I’m fine now, fully recovered, in large part due to luck.

When my “event” hit, I was standing.  I saw a flash of light and was unable to move my right hand or talk.  I couldn’t talk because I was unable to find any words.  There was some weakness and one side of my face drooped a bit.  There was no physical pain.  I’m telling you this to encourage you to talk with your loved ones about “what to do if.”
Use the F.A.S.T. acronym to recognize the symptoms of someone suffering a stroke:

F - Face Drooping: Does one side of the face droop or is it numb? Ask the person to smile. Is the person's smile uneven or lopsided?

A - Arm Weakness: Is one arm weak or numb? Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?

S - Speech Difficulty: Is speech slurred? Is the person unable to speak or hard to understand? Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence.

T - Time to Call 911: If the person shows any of these symptoms, even if the symptoms go away, call 9-1-1 and get them to the hospital immediately.

You may save someone's life or prevent them from suffering permanent neurological damage.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Strokes ain’t no joke.

I’m stoked yours was mild.

I was working as a cna up to a year  ago for a few years while in school. I took care of a partially paralyzed 43 year old that had half his brain removed. Forty fucking three. Makes me think, if there’s a god he sure can be an asshole.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
DB first of all thankful that you are well. Those of us that have faced life threatening events appreciate each day as if it were a banquet

Attitudes change and things that were formerly important may take on a different priority . That is normal , what matter s is for those who think it can't happen to me be aware IT VERY WELL MIGHT

Doc had the same astnishment when i had heart attack and required open heart , but. The quality of life was simply NOT theissue at all . I was then and still am in very decent shape BUT SHIT HAPPENS when you least expect it .

Thanks for sharing and also thanks for prescribing for others some very common sense precautions

Be well Brother !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Sorry you had to go through all that DB. Cool that you're 100% now. Ski on...
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
That is quite the tale, DB, and I'm glad to hear of your complete recovery.

Took some of your advice and came up with an emergency hand signal today.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Glad you're Ok Coop
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
DB -

Very sorry that you went through this.  Glad it sounds like the best possible outcome.  Godspeed.

Best,
Dom
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Whoa D.B.! Glad you are OK and thanks for the suggestions.  There is some history in my fam.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Holy shit, that's scary.

How old are you, D.B.?
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
<50 with almost no risk factors.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
D.B. Cooper wrote
Like, 48?

What is your diet like? Any history of heart disease in your family? What's your BMI?

You *say* you have no risk factors. Do you drink? Eat a lot of red meat or fatty foods? Smoke?
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
MC2 5678F589 wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote
Like, 48?

What is your diet like? Any history of heart disease in your family? What's your BMI?

You *say* you have no risk factors. Do you drink? Eat a lot of red meat or fatty foods? Smoke?
Not a lot of red meat.  Not much going out - we make healthy meals at home.  Cholesterol is good, blood sugar is good, no family history.  No cigarettes, never any dope.

I don't know how to calculate BMI, but I think I'm ok.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
How's your stress level?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Running from the FBI for as long as he has been I'd say it must be quite high.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
Running from the FBI for as long as he has been I'd say it must be quite high.
Lol. That was good, camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee