8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Iowa Pacific Storing Railcars in the Adirondacks

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Some of you may know that Iowa Pacific is storing petroleum cars on tracks near the Boreas River in the Adironacks.  I've been trying to understand what they gain by doing this.

I was told by a friend who has followed this more closely, that the idea is to put the cars in a place that is legal but will also create a disturbance.  Then they will agree to move the cars for a fee. I didn't believe it.  But apparently they have done this before:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ori/ct-goose-island-railcars-ryan-ori-20170920-story.html

My concern is that they will get left for a long time, the tracks will degrade and then it would be incredibly expensive to remove them.

Does anyone know any more about this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/nyregion/empty-rail-cars-roll-into-the-adirondacks-stirring-controversy.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Iowa Pacific Storing Railcars in the Adirondacks

Milo Maltbie
It makes perfect sense to me.  Railroads pay to store cars when traffic is low.  Get one railroad to pay you to store the cars, then get Andrew the Green Governor to pay you to move them.  Win-win for me if I own some tracks with a lot of sidings I don't need to use.  It might piss a lot of people off, but apparently that's never stopped me before.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I dunno. They're railcars on a railroad. I expect to see railcars whenever I see a railroad.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Its a for profit company taking advantage of opportunities, that said just because you can does not mean you should.  Those tracks from Saratoga should have been ripped up many years ago for a trail.  I don't think the rail road planned it this way but they are certainly applauding themselves behind closed doors.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
They seem to be saying that the tracks are expensive to maintain and they can't find a market for the Tahawas tailings. So they are loosing money.

I'd like to hear Scotty's opinion.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
hind site being 20 20 it clear getting them to fix the lines was a deal made with the devil.  Now the hedgies see a way to extort the state and they are going at it full steam ahead.  I don't know how long it takes for those wheels to freeze up but I have to imagine if they are not removed within a few years it will take boat loads of money to get them rolling not to mention repairing any damage to the lines that has occurred.  The State is going to have to step in and pay these MF's  to get those out of there.  The sooner the better its never going to get cheaper.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
 Those tracks from Saratoga should have been ripped up many years ago for a trail.  
I remember you guys talking about that. It seemed like a really good idea then as well. Hopefully they still will.
Reply | Threaded
|

noip
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
hind site being 20 20 it clear getting them to fix the lines was a deal made with the devil.  Now the hedgies see a way to extort the state and they are going at it full steam ahead.  I don't know how long it takes for those wheels to freeze up but I have to imagine if they are not removed within a few years it will take boat loads of money to get them rolling not to mention repairing any damage to the lines that has occurred.  The State is going to have to step in and pay these MF's  to get those out of there.  The sooner the better its never going to get cheaper.
this is the long and short of it

it is sleazy