Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jay, Burke and EB-5

Harvey
Administrator
Dropped in the link Coach.

Coach Z wrote
Big question is how much money did Bill and Q give to Bernies various campaigns.
There are some big questions, not sure this one is at the top of the list. I'm curious about what is in the emails the gov deleted.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
This post was updated on .
Coach Z wrote
Big question is how much money did Bill and Q give to Bernies various campaigns.

With that question, you tell us you don't get it. Bernie does not accept large contributions, does not have a Super Pac. That is, essentially, the essence of Bernie.

That said, good for him to support this. Scam the international rich trying to buy green cards to bring jobs to nowhere. Good move. Feel the Bern.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Benny Profane wrote
Coach Z wrote

With that question, you tell us you don't get it. Bernie does not accept large contributions, does not have a Super Pac. That is, essentially, the essence of Bernie.

That said, good for him to support this. Scam the international rich trying to buy green cards to bring jobs to nowhere. Good move. Feel the Bern.
You don't think the closing of Burke is going to hurt a few? What about all the contractors getting stiffed? How about some small business's that were banking on this stuff to happen

They'll be plenty feeling the bern
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
skimore wrote
You don't think the closing of Burke is going to hurt a few? What about all the contractors getting stiffed? How about some small business's that were banking on this stuff to happen

Like it's Bernie's fault that some crooks stole some money, you're logic defies logic.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Coach Z wrote

I don't believe for one second that Bernie is not accepting BIG money from a Soros or Gates etc. but let's for the sake of argument let's say it's true.

5-10 years ago when he was just a crackpot hippie Senator from one of the smallest states when no one was looking or cared and he ponied up to support the Jay scam did he accept money from these crooks.  That is the big question.  These guys are going to jail that us for sure and not in question.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by PeeTex
At no point did I state it was Sanders fault
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
These guys are going to jail that us for sure and not in question.
Will be interesting to see if that happens.  I think it's likely Q will lose everything, but not as sure about jail.

This is amazing to read:

https://www.sec.gov/litigation/complaints/2016/comp-pr2016-69.pdf
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Coach Z wrote

I don't believe for one second that Bernie is not accepting BIG money from a Soros or Gates etc.

It's a matter of legally required public records. Look it up. Last pie chart I saw was a tiny sliver of some big money going to him. Rest is, average, 27 dollars or so from schmoes like you and me. How can you not like the guy for that?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Coach Z wrote

Of course they will. Or they'll blame Obama. Or their mothers. Nobody takes the blame themselves, when they make the bad decision, or, gamble. If they walked into it believing that it was a no lose, well, that's their problem. They got grifted. You know, like the people around Tupper, who probably still think that scam is profitable for them. Face it, Vermont is a poor place, and the NEK is the poor place in a poor place. Ripe for the grift.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
So is Burke really going to be closing down? Or was that just speculation?

Maybe they could turn it into a sort of hiking/skinning area in the winter and have a bitchen bike park for the summer. Or create the first lift served with a focus on fat biking in the snow. I saw a vid of a place in Minnesota that had some ski runs dedicated to fat bikes or at least I think I saw that. From everything I have read about that area it's more of a biking destination than a ski destination but I of course wouldn't really know.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Wait, you want Burke, a smaller mountain, but with two HSQ's and plenty of terrain to be de-modernized with the lifts and snowmaking ripped out?  It cost a lot to put in the HSQ's so why take them out?  If you want to hike, ski backcountry.  There's gotta be so much better skiing outside of a resort than in one of you're willing to hike.

I think Vail has a good chance of buying both of these up for a cut rate price and paying off all the debts.  This could be how they get into the east.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
. Or they'll blame Obama. Or their mothers. Nobody takes the blame themselves, when they make the bad decision, or, gamble. If they walked into it believing that it was a no lose, well, that's their problem. They got grifted. You know, like the people around Tupper, who probably still think that scam is profitable for them. Face it, Vermont is a poor place, and the NEK is the poor place in a poor place. Ripe for the grift.
Right Ben, nobody takes personal responsibility or admits they were wrong even in the face of overwhelming evidence.  It should be noted that the big Developer for the ACR actually made a trip to Jay to meet with Stenger not to long ago. They were hoping to get in on the free money EB-5 train. Had he obtained access he would make Stenger look like a saint.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by snoloco
No, I could care less about what Burke decides to do. It was a random thought since if sounds like the place doesn't make any money.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
If a mountain can't make money running lifts, they sure aren't making any money being a hike to ski area.  No one in their right mind will pay to have to hike half a day for one run when they can do it in the backcountry for free, and with better terrain.  

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
snoloco wrote
I think Vail has a good chance of buying both of these up for a cut rate price and paying off all the debts.  This could be how they get into the east.
That's an interesting idea - if your right it is an astute call.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
A managed hike to area can be run at a city park level. It has very little overhead and can still bring in visitors during the slow winter seasons. This model is being implimented in several different locations including an effort in Vermont.

Why do you believe back country skiing equates to 1 run? I know people that could do 8 laps in half a day on Burke.

Touring gear is the fastest growing part of ski retail right now, people want that experience but don't have any Avalanche safety skills so these managed bc light areas are perfect to facilitate that growth.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
snoloco wrote
That's an interesting idea - if your right it is an astute call.
Jay's already got the lodging development that Vail likes.  I bet they'd put in a bubble 6-pack to replace The Freezer and a HSQ on the Bonaventure line as well.  Not a fan of Vail in general, but if they get the upgrades done that are needed, they're definitely better than the scam artists that got run out of there by the feds.  I'm sure they would groom all the trails that need it so the waterpark gapers can ski those and leave powder in the trees for those who can ski it (unlike Z's story from last year).
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
snoloco wrote
If a mountain can't make money running lifts, they sure aren't making any money being a hike to ski area.  No one in their right mind will pay to have to hike half a day for one run when they can do it in the backcountry for free, and with better terrain.
The idea isn't about having a ski area that makes money, it's about getting money into the community with an attraction that barely costs anything to maintain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Somehow I hate seeing lifts moved, not sure why.

You might need some deep pockets and big vision to pick up both Jay and Burke, if that saves Burke I'm for it too.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
You really think that a ski area without lifts and snowmaking would bring in any crowd that's big enough to help a town?  I think the town of Tupper Lake is doing really well now (not).  They have a ski area with lifts, but no snowmaking, and it doesn't bring in any money because it's closed a lot and doesn't have a big customer base (if it has one at all).

Burke has 2 HSQ's, 80% snowmaking, 217 inches of natural snow average, 270 acres, and 2,100 vertical.  They will have a bed base if a new owner pays off the debt to the contractors that built the hotel.  The debt is less than a new HSQ costs, and a new buyer could easily pay it if buying the rest of the mountain at a cut rate price from the feds.  Their current setup is going to bring in much more money to the community than a ski area with no lifts or snowmaking where you spend 95% of your day going up.  It won't cost the community anything to maintain either, since the owners of the ski area would be picking up the tab on that.
1234567 ... 13