This post was updated on .
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Johnny Quest was awesome.

Sick Bird Rider
And Race was a good skier:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Sim Sim Sala Bim !
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
You're gonna love this:

http://vimeo.com/28278839

Jonny Quest Opening Titles from Roger D. Evans on Vimeo.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Spongeworthy wrote
You're gonna love this:

http://vimeo.com/28278839
That was fantastic, what a find! Love the way the guy combined modern 3D animation with the old-school sensibility. Too bad his Kickstarter project to fun the creation of a full episode was not successful. Which is kind of ironic, since the original show was cancelled due to high production costs, despite huge popularity.

Wikipedia wrote
Hanna-Barbera developed the technique of limited animation in order to cut corners and meet the tighter scheduling and budgetary demands of television. As opposed to full animation, this means that characters generally move from side to side with a sliding background behind them and are drawn mostly in static form, with only the moving parts (like running legs, shifting eyes, or talking mouths) being re-drawn from frame to frame on a separate layer.

This was particularly true of Jonny Quest. The series' visual style was unusual for its time, combining a fairly realistic depiction of human figures and objects with the limited animation technique .... The series made heavy use of rich music scores, off-screen impacts with sound effects, reaction shots, cycling animations, cutaways, scene-to-scene dissolves, and abbreviated dialogue to move the story forward, without requiring extensive original animation of figures. For example, objects would often reverse direction off-screen, eliminating the need to show the turn, or a running character would enter the frame sliding to a stop, allowing a single drawn figure to be used.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
He was alright.  His Dad didn't hit him enough though.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Noah John wrote
He was alright.  His Dad didn't hit him enough though.
LOL. That's funny right thar..
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Noah John
Ha ha ha. ^^^

Loved that show. They made a JQ movie in the 80's ish. It was true to form and the voices even sounded the same. I taped it and have it somewhere around here.

Bandit was badazz. Known to strike shear terror in hinterlandian doggies.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jonny Quest was awesome.

Harvey
Administrator
2 minutes for opening and closing credits... that's the way to save on animation.

The closing credits were actually far superior as they actually included the famous "Get this bucket moving Race" scene:

And of course the Jonny Quest stand up camelboarding at the very end.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Brings back memories, we got our first color TV and cable at the same time. I remember watching Johnny Quest, Speed Racer,Kimba the White Lion, Gigantor, and Fireball XL5.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
"Eh, What's up Duck  ? "

" It's Rabbit Season ! ".

" It's Duck Season ! "

Wasn't Bugs cool ? I've seen news stories where Bugs is perennially chosen as the most favorite cartoon character of all time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Cornhead wrote
Brings back memories, we got our first color TV and cable at the same time. I remember watching Johnny Quest, Speed Racer,Kimba the White Lion, Gigantor, and Fireball XL5.
Kimba was just a necessary requirement... watching with my sisters so I could convince them to watch Speed Racer.  

Gigantor, I remember the song but that is it..."GIGANTOR...GIGANTOOOR!"

Fireball XL5?  Never saw it.

Ultimately Speed Racer was very cool. (I loved the race car that could go 100 mph while harvesting old growth forest!)

But...

Speed wishes he was half as cool as Jonny.  No way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Harvey wrote
Cornhead wrote
Kimba was just a necessary requirement... watching with my sisters so I could convince them to watch Speed Racer.  

Gigantor, I remember the song but that is it..."GIGANTOR...GIGANTOOOR!"

Fireball XL5?  Never saw it.

Ultimately Speed Racer was very cool. (I loved the race car that could go 100 mph while harvesting old growth forest!)

But...

Speed wishes he was half as cool as Jonny.  No way.
Ha, I have a younger Sister too, Kimba was a gateway toon! Fireball XL5 was a space puppet show. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireball_XL5 

Snowballs, Bugs is the best! Who's cooler than Bugs? Definitely written with an adult audience in mind. Jessica Rabbit has a smokin bod, however...for a toon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Yea CH, Jessica was packin !

Side note, she was patterned after Veronica Lake a film noir actress who pioneered that " peek a boo " hair style. I've been into TCM for the last year or so. I found out I love those old movies. Last night Sun Valley Serenade was on. In the lodge scenes some people had skis that looked almost 8 ft long.

Almost Glen Plake length.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
  I tended bar while I was in college, neighborhood bar. I worked Fridays, 7PM-4AM, Saturdays 11AM-7PM. Everybody at school was happy when Friday rolled around. I was not, up at 6, school all day, tend bar all night, back in the bar at 11AM. Bloody Marys and Bugs got me through those Saturday mornings. Old timers would come in and say, "What the hell is this on TV?" I'd say, "It's Bugs Bunny man, what rock have you been livin under? Drink your shot and beer and enjoy."

TMC is cool, my Mom enjoys reliving her younger days watching movies there. I watch some too. I like the interviews with celebs. Drew Barrymore's was good. She is very bright, and knowledgeable about movie history.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Drew Barrymore,,,,,, she was on Leno a while back where she was very articulate and very smart. Impressive.

Get this, Leno had sometime years ago gave her some advice about how to land a hubby. They didn't say what it was, but she was " gushin " all over Jay because her helped her. She just loves him.

It was cool, She's cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Maybe she's just got a thing for talk show hosts?
Tried embedding, doesn't seem to work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F163XHK8NVs
Nice side boob shot.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
HAhaha. I forgot about her doing that ! Letterman looked genuinely shocked. You must be right, she does have a thing for talk show hosts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
I think her infatuation with late night talk show hosts started early on. Here's a clip from 1982 with Johnny Carson, she was promoting ET, adorable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZJGneGI_85w
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Not in the same league with Jonny Quest: