Kayaking Hanging Spear Falls

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Kayaking Hanging Spear Falls

tBatt
Turns out even Red Bull thinks the ADKs are cool. So much, that they sent a few athletes there to run the Hanging Spear Falls in the Opalescent Gorge.

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/adventure/stories/1331686992409/steve-fisher-hanging-spear-video
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Kayaking Hanging Spear Falls

Harvey
Administrator
Holy cow that is incredible!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Yeah, that was a pretty crazy adventure. The logistics of that whole undertaking were crazy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Holy cow that is incredible!
Ditto. Good find TB.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Also, what a weird sport where you have to hike to scout out a section, hike back up, get in your boats, paddle the section, get out before the next impassable waterfall, rappel down, lower your equipment down, then go back to scouting the next section.

If skiing or mountain biking were like that, I'd quit.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Very cool, but too much slowmo
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
This video makes anyone that hangs out in the Adirondacks a little bit cooler
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
^ Much like you are a little bit cooler because you live in the same county as me.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hanging Spear

ScottyJack
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hanging Spear

CMR
This post was updated on .
Thanks tBatt.  Really enjoyed that!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Niiiice... Thanks for sharing that Tbatt
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I don't see what the big deal is, they have the kayak for protection after all. A real man would just jump in, sans wetsuit.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
The fist picture's caption must be wrong, the Ausable does not flow on that side of the high peaks unless they came in from Elk Lake and that would have been a miserable hike with the canoes up the shoulder of Skylight and Marcy although I don't recognize the bridge (It could be the new one at Marcy Dam, but I would think they would go in from Upper Works or get a ride on the private roads on the old mine property.

Pictures are great - that is a beautiful spot.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
PeeTex wrote
The fist picture's caption must be wrong, the Ausable does not flow on that side of the high peaks unless they came in from Elk Lake and that would have been a miserable hike with the canoes up the shoulder of Skylight and Marcy although I don't recognize the bridge (It could be the new one at Marcy Dam, but I would think they would go in from Upper Works or get a ride on the private roads on the old mine property.
I noticed that (and a few other minor errors).  It looks like they hiked in from Marcy Dam / Avi Pass, then paddled across Avalanche Lk and Lake Colden to pick up the Opalescent.  The top of Avi Pass is the watershed divide, with the Marcy Dam side being the Ausable Watershed (drains to Lk Champlain) and the Avalanche Lake / Lake Colden side being the Hudson Watershed.  The photo can't be the Ausable River itself, I beleive it's the new bridge over Marcy Brook (a trib of the Ausable) at Marcy Dam.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Adk Jeff wrote
PeeTex wrote
I noticed that (and a few other minor errors).  It looks like they hiked in from Marcy Dam / Avi Pass, then paddled across Avalanche Lk and Lake Colden to pick up the Opalescent.  The top of Avi Pass is the watershed divide, with the Marcy Dam side being the Ausable Watershed (drains to Lk Champlain) and the Avalanche Lake / Lake Colden side being the Hudson Watershed.  The photo can't be the Ausable River itself, I beleive it's the new bridge over Marcy Brook (a trib of the Ausable) at Marcy Dam.
That would be my guess as well, the hike up to Avi pass would be fairly easy although rather than coming in from the HPIC I would have come in from the South Meadows truck road, much easier with the boats. The shortest approach would have been to get access to the National Lead roads and then go in the trail, there is an old road that gets you just about to the entrance of the gorge. Would save miles of carry.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hanging Spear Falls

scottymac
In reply to this post by tBatt
Great new kayak film featuring the Adirondacks and hanging spear falls. Not sure if this is the right forum however the kayaking is secondary to the Adirondacks and the Hudson. I hope the link works,here it is;

Steve Fisher Kayaks Hanging Spears Falls in New York
Oct 28, 2014 ... Kayakers Conquer Adirondack's Hanging Spear Falls. Watch world-class kayak athletes take on New York's steepest mile of whitewater.
www.redbull.com/us/en/.../stories/.../steve-fisher-hanging-spear-video
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hanging spear falls

PeeTex
This was discussed in a previous thread.