158 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Kid Stoke!

Harvey
Administrator
denvervega wrote
Roxbury school canceled, GS race canceled, "The trees will just have to be my gates dad, w/ a rock drop after the transition." Plattekill Fri./Sat./Sun.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by denvervega
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I have a theory that there are only really about 100 kids speed suits in existence and they just keep moving from kid to kid as they grow out of them.

Watching a race just about every other kid is wearing the same red sypder suit
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
My point is why would any parent ever buy a new speed suit - they last forever and only get worn a few days a year.  You can buy used ones for $50 and kids grow out of them fast.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

denvervega

Got lucky w/ a suit at a ski swap for $50., but I know I would (and will) pay more.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
Coach Z wrote
My point is why would any parent ever buy a new speed suit - they last forever and only get worn a few days a year.  You can buy used ones for $50 and kids grow out of them fast.
Because we love our kids - they make life worth living.
I love my kid but I'm not going to spend $200 on a new speed suit that he is going to wear less than 10 days a season.  We bought next years speed suit for $75 with the training shorts from another family in NYSEF.  It looks like it never was even worn.

I need to get all the SL protective gear for next season - anyone selling any?
Reply | Threaded
|

Kid Stoke 2013/14

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Kid Stoke

Peter Minde
Massive LIKE.  

My daughter, I don't expect her to race.  But when I'm pushing up daisies, if in winter she goes, "Hmmm, great conditions at Mt van Ho this weekend" and gets out on skis, then I've done my job.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by DackerDan
Nice post

Got a good day in today with my son.  He is so coachable that I try to just shut up and enjoy skiing with him.  I wanted to smooth out his short turns but I waited until the last run and then I asked him to just follow me making some gs turns and he seemed to know exactly what I was looking for and started keeping his arc in short turns as well. Trying to let him figure it out fir himself with a little guidance.

He has the big dream of skiing at the highest levels and wants to be a speed event guy.  Yikes!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Droppin in on the North
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
On Tuesday those bumps and the ones on North Star were special. No one was skiing North Star so we had several powder runs before heading off to other terrain.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Harvey
Nice.  She looks like she is having a great time -- nothing beats skiing with your kid(s) when they are enjoying themselves.  Is this where we post pics of our happy kids?  The girls mid-way through the day last Saturday after getting off the gondola, ready for the afternoon runs on the North Side.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It was all North Star and Powder Pass(?).

Petronio wrote
Is this where we post pics of our happy kids?
This is the place you post pics of your kids that get you stoked bro!

Appreciate your comment on today's blog post Petronio.

Basically when I ski I take a bunch pics and try to figure out the story later.

On Sunday I realized that my pendulum is swing back towards a nordic skier.  More focus on snow quality, less on vert.

I was stoked because Neve, LOVED the soft bumps on the North Side. And she seems to thrive on the interconnect.

She may actually like Pipeline.

Got me stoked.

Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Got it.

I was certainly stoked on Sunday at the end of our first Gore trip when they asked, "When are we coming back?"

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
  Our ski season ended Sat but son Derek was out Sunday Getting ready for next yr.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Great 3 days with the kids.   Lange 8 and Grace 6.    Thought for sure my son would be bored as we would be unable to ski any of the double blacks and make but a few runs down some singles.    To my surprise, thanks to the sunny weather, soft snow and a week of strong, skiing out west, Grace stepped it up and brought her A game.    Know that I am the kind of dad who does not push kids or ever want to see a crying kid on the mountain.  To me, kids should ask to ski steeps or mildly be pushed to the next level.   I hate seeing kids ski steep stuff in a big wedge, it just reinforces bad habits, is not fun for the kids and frankly is not safe.     Friday, we start on Twister, my son's favorite trail---at full speed 3/4 of the way down, he leaps over the hump on skier's right clearing an unmarked blind bare spot that had to be 15 feet long.     My heart dropped and I skied in fear the rest of the trip as I began each run with "watch your landings or let me spot you, there are bare spots".   Run two we moved to Straightbrook.   Dell, Hawkeye, Chatty, Lies, Open Pit and then.....Yes,  Rumor.   Grace kept pushing us for more.    She had heard the stories about Rumor from her brother for the last two years.   It was her turn to shine.   She began on skier's right, the easier side.  She slipped the first 3 bumps which were boardered by rock and tree stumps. After turn one she yelled, "this is easy!"  She then proceeded to link turns, skiing the shoulders of the bumps down the fall line.   Traversing only to avoid an odd shaped bump that she knew she could not ski over due to snow depth or it's height.  Basically skiing down the fall line linking turns.    From her first turn until she hit the bottom, non-stop.     Amazing  endurance.     Her brother ripped the zip line, mocking me and several of the other well tenured skiers.  One guy was overheard yelling to his friend who was paralized near the top...."just do it like that little girl, you big puxxy!"   I think hearing that gave my daughter the motivation and energy to keep going to the bottom.    A big thanks to whomever you are.  Next time, watch your language though. And remember, intimidation does not replace skill or experience.          

Grace stopped just before the last drop to sit back and reflect on her accomplishment.  I snapped this photo.   Her first words:  "This should be a green!"  Her way of telling me, thanks Dad, I appreciate the 3 years of lessons.      Second words were, "Oh, we are doing that again!"     And so it began.....   Lap after lap.      I think Lies was skiing harder but Rumor has all the glory.    

Lange's favorite run moved from Twister to Lower Steil.     Grace found bliss on Tawhaus they perfect width and pitch for carving.    

Lift attendants were amazing, food court did a great job, as usual, Harvey Road friends pulled through, met new friends and have prospects of meeting others.  Add building an igloo, seeing the Muppets at Indian Lake, sledding one evening on a perfectly manicured course (wink),  blue bird skies for three consecutive days and awesome views of the ADKs, all added up to a memorable trip to Gore.     Oh yeah.....both kids placing 3rd in pond skimming did not hurt either, love free gear for next year!   If anyone got photos of the Grinch or Tutu girl, please let me know.    Grace at bottom of Rumor
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
My son Blasting thru the bumps at Jay yesterday

He is a tween now so maybe I need to start a new thread since he is outgrowing this one

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
A photo from a dad and daughter day at Prospect Mt in late March.  As we left the lodge, flurries turned into a no holds barred squall that dropped an inch of pow in 45 minutes.  This photo is on the new Al's Hill trail.  Laurel skied right up it.  Wicked proud of her.