classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Killington 11/11/12 with pictures

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
The forecast was for nice weather and a trip to Vt to visit friends and check out the white ribbon of death at Killington was in order. Ski Magazine put out a two for one coupon, so half of $49 may be one of the best prices for a lift ticket this season.

Met my friend Derek, we redeemed our lift ticket vouchers and boarded the K1 gondola for the Killington Peak.

Arriving at the summit on a sunny day never disappoints. Getting out on the snow is always exhilarating.

You may recognize Derek from Gore

Killington offered more variety than I've seen before on the Veteran's Day weekend, typically the first weekend for Killington to turn the lifts.

Great Northern was open top to bottom.

They also put snow on the steeper pitch on Mouse Trap which boasted huge bumps.

Up top the skiing was on North Ridge (formerly called The Glades). Rime has the perfect even fall line and turns were effortless on the soft snow.

East Fall was a little more interesting with a tad more pitch.

They had Upper Double Dipper as well as Upper Downdraft covered, which enabled us to mix it up each run and we never got bored. The former lower West Glade (the new name escapes me) had great soft snow and added yet one more route to the Triple.

There was a terrain park on  Reason (former East Glade), which was great for keeping the teenagers mostly in one place and made room for us on the other trails.

When a pack of kids broke off from the park the trails swarmed with fast moving snowboarders getting air on every bump.

The line for the triple was about a 7-10 minute wait. It kept stopping too. The corrals were always full. There were a number of "Killington Moments" throughout the day involving city crowds and city skiers.

Crossing Great Northern to get to East Fall and lower Rime was often a challenge, like a game of frogger on the interstate.

Lower Bunny Buster was a mess with bumps and thin spots and too many people funneled in with noodley legs and little control.

The crowds were abundant, but we got in as many runs as our bodies would allow. The shadows got long very fast,+ firming up the soft snow. It never got crusty, but went from sticky slush to something more consolidated. The light got flat by 2:30. We were totally satiated and our legs were beginning to feel it, so we called it a day.

The Wild Fern is a funky little cafe in Stockbridge that serves quality home made food and the woman who runs the show, makes all the food and also plays bass with Rick Redington. Sunday is cigar box guitar brunch that starts at noon. We got there at 3:30 in time for the last song and a breakfast pizza which was quite delicious and really hit the spot.  

Fantastic day all around.

Pictures coming soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Killington 11/11/12

gorgonzola
nice report! looking forwrd to the pics
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Killington 11/11/12

patchrick09
it was a good day, think you caught me and my buddy in the last picture on Bunny Buster. Im dead center and my friend in the purple shirt on the board on the right side.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Killington 11/11/12 with pictures

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Man that looks good.  The bumps on Mouse Trap!

Did you spend a night in VT or somewhere in NY closer to K?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
We stayed at The Cobble House Inn  in Gaysville, Vt. It was a really sweet old B&B. Great host and hospitality.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Great pics and nice report , glad u guys got out and made some early turns and runs !!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Hickory Martha went yesterday (11/12).  It hit 50 degrees and all corned up.  She said it was the best spring skiing this season.  First time she has ever had first turns of the season before me.....
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Garsh, I wish I had known she was going to be there. I would've skied again if I had someone to ski with.