Quantcast

Lost Ski Area Silvermine 10-12-2016

classic Classic
13 messages Options
Reply |  

Lost Ski Area Silvermine 10-12-2016

Brownski

My kids had so much fun last year when we climbed the old ski hill at Silvermine Lake that we decided to go back and explore some more. We started out on the smaller trails that are hidden behind the trees to the right of that first pic. I was happy to see that somebody had mowed a lot more of the area then in past years. Just a couple inches of snow should make the mowed areas skiable.

We climbed up through the woods above the little slope and angled back towards the bigger trails as we climbed. The trees are actually pretty far apart in here. There's some dead fall so I would guess you'd want maybe two feet of base before skiing this but it looks like it would be fun with enough snow on the ground. There's a little stretch of a work road or maybe a connector trail back here too.

We explored around the top of the hill for a while, found some rocks to climb on and an old rusted trailer. We've hiked around here several times in the past and never happened upon the trailer before. Pretty cool.

We came back down the "expert slope" that is on the left side of the first pic.

You can't hike here without checking out the old lift shacks and machinery.

This is where I found the coolest potential line of the day. It seems to be the path of one of the old surface lifts that hasn't quite grown in completely. It's just a narrow little path right down the fall line in the middle  of the trees between the two wide trails in the first pic.

Reply |  

Re: Lost Ski Area Silvermine 10-12-2016

raisingarizona
Cool post Brownski. That's a beautiful area for sure. I've spent quite a bit of time in Harriman SP and my family has several generations working for the park. I used to spend a lot of holidays at my Uncles cabin along Seven Lakes Drive.

Reply |  

2000yearoldskier
Thanks for the great photos.
Silvermine and Fawnstock were the first eastern ski hills I skied after my family moved NY from Wisconsin in 1967.
I remember learning to ride the T-bar and J-bar, thinking how easier they were compared to rope tows.
On one group trip it snowed heavily all day, my first time in powder,I skied until closing, and was the last kid on the bus.
A slow trip home came to dead stop when a wreck on the Tappen Zee halted all traffic.
By the time we arrived back to school it was very late, and no parents were there. My sister and I walked home thru knee deep snow.

Reply |  

Marcski
Nice, Brownski!  I've never hiked around Silvemine, but I have rode past it many times on my road bike.  

Reply |  

Brownski
In reply to this post by 2000yearoldskier
2000 yr old skier
That's awesome feedback. I love those kinds of stories. Can you tell me if you guys utilized the woods above the kiddie slope back then? Looks like it would have been a cool spot.

Reply |  

Brownski
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Nice, Brownski!  I've never hiked around Silvemine, but I have rode past it many times on my road bike.
Yeah, that is a cool area this time of year. If you're looking for kid friendly nature walks, there's lots to choose from. The AT goes right through there and there's a really well constructed trail that I think was a CCC project.

Reply |  

2000yearoldskier
In reply to this post by Brownski
I wasn't much of a skier, just a fifth grader learning to love the sport.
It was'nt until I dropped out of high school and became a ski bum when I discovered the powder in the trees.

Reply |  

raisingarizona
2000yearoldskier wrote
It was'nt until I dropped out of high school and became a ski bum when I discovered the powder in the trees.

Tell us more 2000yearoldskier!

I think we might have a little in common.

Reply |  

Brownski
raisingarizona wrote
2000yearoldskier wrote

Tell us more 2000yearoldskier!

I think we might have a little in common.
I second that

Reply |  

2000yearoldskier
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
RA, I've read your comments on all the ski-webs.We both share the love of the ski bum life.
We differ in ability though, I've never flown off those Jackson cliffs like you have,  well not on purpose anyway.