Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks - Reserve your copy!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks - Reserve your copy!

nelsap
Hi everybody,

I am pleased to announce that my new book, Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks, is complete, and will be printed soon. You can see the cover attached.

Kudos to the team at The History Press for the design, proofreading, and the layout of the book!

The book has 75 photos, 160 pages long, 44,000 words, and details the 38 lost areas, 3 restored, and 13 still open areas (in summary) of the Southern Adirondacks. Many photos have never been published before and will be sure to surprise you. There were far more lost areas in this region than you would have thought!

My book will be out at the end of the summer...if you are interested in a copy, please email me at nelsap@yahoo.com and let me know your email address. I'll then send out an email immediately once the book is available if you are interested in purchasing it. Thanks!

Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks

Jeremy-NELSAP
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks - Reserve your copy!

Harvey
Administrator
Reserved!  Looking forward to it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Wow..awesome! Count me in!
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by nelsap
Cool! Nice work.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

nelsap
Hi everybody,

The book is now in print, and I have copies! If you are interested in a copy and haven't messaged me yet, let me know your mailing address, how many copies, and if you want them signed and to whom. I can then let you know a total.

Think snow,

Jeremy
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks

adkskier
If anyone has followed the exploits of Jeremy Davis' "New England Lost Ski Areas Project" (nelsap.org), you should be pleased to learn that he has just published "Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks". I just received my copy fresh off the press within days so this is not a complete review. I've read a couple chapters and thumbed through to look at the photos. It's well written and entertaining without getting into the really nerdy level of history. 160pp including the blanks! It's a good read for anyone with a slight interest in the history of skiing in this region. Almost a must have for every Gore Mountain ski house! You may order it from www.nelsap.org. Maybe it will be available in some of the local shops at some point.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks

TomCat
I wonder if the ski bowl is listed as lost or restored as it was only open for ~3 days last year. Seriously, I hope the book is carried by the local merchants such as the gore shop, gear exchange, etc.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks

Harvey
Administrator
Got mine on Friday.  This book is very cool.

I highly recommend it.  More info, and a link for ordering it here:

http://www.nelsap.org/book.html
Reply | Threaded
|

jorgea
This post was updated on .
Thanks for informing about your book here at nyskiblog.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Nice article on Jeremy's new book with some cool historical pics in the Lake George Mirror:

Remembering Lake George’s Lost Ski Areas

For anyone here who doesn't yet own a copy, put it on your Santa list.  Locally (Saratoga Springs) it is available at the Alpine Sport Shop.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks book

snoloco
This post was updated on .
Just ordered "Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks" form amazon.  I am looking foreward to getting it.  Some lost ski areas that I know of are Big Tupper, Cockaigne, Mount Witney, Otis, and Paleface.  Hopefully these ski areas are in it.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks book

Harvey
Administrator
Pretty cool!

International Ski History Association wrote
Ski History Authors, Filmmakers to be Honored in Vail

The ISHA Skade Award is presented for an outstanding work on regional ski history, or an outstanding work published book form that is focused in part on ski history. This year’s winners are Van Gordon Sauter and Laurie Sammis (Mandala Media LLC) for The Sun Valley Story, a lushly illustrated history of the famed Idaho resort, and Jeremy Davis for Lost Ski Areas of the Southern Adirondacks, which documents the history of 39 ski hills in that region that have closed since the 1930s. Honorable mention: The History of Cranmore Mountain by Tom Eastman; Never a Bad Year For Snow! by Henry M. Yaple; Women of Vail by Elaine Kelton and Carolyn Pope.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Nice little book - glad to hear it got some recognition.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
i'm going to have to look for it.
Reply | Threaded
|

future
Oh cool, definitely going to pick up a copy of this. Always enjoy browsing through your site. Thanks for all your hard work!