classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mac or Windows?

Ethan Snow
This post was updated on .
People who have a Mac love their Macs. Do people who have a Windows based system really like their PC? Maybe they do, but I don't hear about it very often. I'm curious what you guys think.

The sterotype in the professional world is that Macs are for the artists, and PCs are for "real businessmen" or engineers.  Some of the engineering design software I use in college is made exclusively for PC. But you can get around that easy by running Parallells with Windows. In fact, the graphics on Macs are very good, and it seems like a 27" iMac, or a Mac Pro would be a great tool for running CADD software.

The big arguement that everyone makes, is that Macs are too expensive. I agree that $1000 is a lot of money for an 11 inch notebook with 100 GB of storage, and a 1.3 gig chip. Apple puts most of their effort into their graphics, and their display which is exceptionally pleasing to look at. When you get into the pro-models however, and you actually compare the hardware features, (solid state drive, awesome graphics, processor, ram etc) you will pay almost as much for a PC with comparable features. Sure, if high end graphics and super fast flash storage aren't a priority, then maybe a Mac isn't for you.

I also think what makes people love their Macs is the software. For some, it's just more intuitive, and that's worth the extra few bucks. I'm curious to know your thoughts.  
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mac or Windows?

Ethan Snow
Ps. I am not looking to debate, I am genuinely interested in knowing opinions from people who have been in the real world longer than I have.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
You answered a lot of your own questions. It mostly boils down to what you need to run on the machine. You state your apps are mostly pc based, but you  could run them on the mac with parallels. Why bother with that? With the pc you'll many more choices on hardware. Pc's are more of the standard in the business networking environment. More software options than the mac world. Easier to get replacement parts
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Maybe they are stereotypes but in our company, everyone, except those in finance, use Macs.  I think the finance people feel they need their PCs.

I used a PC decades ago and once I tried a mac I never went back.

Think about all the user friendly innovations invented by apple that have been adopted by the PC. You don't see any of that in the reverse direction.  I laughed when I first saw the "waste bucket" or whatever they called they trash.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I can't agree more with you Harvey. And that pretty much takes care of my reply to Skimore.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Maybe they are stereotypes but in our company, everyone, except those in finance, use Macs.  I think the finance people feel they need their PCs.

I used a PC decades ago and once I tried a mac I never went back.

Think about all the user friendly innovations invented by apple that have been adopted by the PC. You don't see any of that in the reverse direction.  I laughed when I first saw the "waste bucket" or whatever they called they trash.
Yeah, your web design business is more suited to the mac world. It completely depends on what you need to do with the machine. Many businesses don't need the graphics type stuff the Macs are better suited for.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Sure, but all I'm saying is why shouldn't the engineering world, or the Business world use them more? For me, I would much rather work with CADD software on a Mac with a 27" 4K display that actually has the power to give the screen 4K. I mean why shouldn't you have good graphics?  Macs have the capability to do everything Windows can do, it's just a matter of getting industry to admit to that, and start making their software available. I don't see it as a shortcoming of Apple, I see it as a shortcoming of software companies not being willing to diversify. Some are already doing it. I even have a professor who is a Mechanical engineer who strongly believes this.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Ethan Snow wrote
Sure, but all I'm saying is why shouldn't the engineering world, or the Business world use them more? For me, I would much rather work with CADD software on a Mac with a 27" 4K display that actually has the power to give the screen 4K. Macs have the capability to do everything Windows can do, it's just a matter of getting industry to admit to that, and start making their software available. some are already doing it. I even have a professor who is a Mechanical engineer who strongly believes this.

Purchasing 500 of those Macs is exponentially more for a business. So the industry produces more of their apps for the pc world
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
If businesses aren't spending at least 2K on a computer for professional use, then they are bound to break down easily which means they are going to need to replace them more often, and pay a full time IT guy to keep them running. Not to mention the cost of air conditioning the room they are in.  I know in the CAD lab I work in, each PC ran like 2500 each. They Break down a lot, get viruses, and heat up the room to ridiculous temperatures. We have to open the windows in January. The screens are crap. (not saying all are)

I guess I'm debating now, so I'll stop. I just like to challenge people to look at the whole picture. look at the cost of a PC with comparable hardware, and the longevity/ maintenance of the product.

For me, I guess I'm just in denial, so I have to run Parallel. Hopefully in a few years I won't be.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
and you never answered my question, Do you Like your PC? or do you just use it because you have too?  Mac users seem to have a special connection to their Mac that PC users don't have.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by skimore
For what it is worth, I have been a Mac user since 1988, work and home, currently run the only Mac in a retail business environment of any computers. Whatever, if you can accept the challenges of getting certain software, the Mac environment is easier, more intuitive, simpler and more stable then the PC equivalent. I have to work on Windows machines on a daily basis and my hatred grows with every experience.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Ethan Snow wrote
If businesses aren't spending at least 2K on a computer for professional use, then they are bound to break down easily which means they are going to need to replace them more often, and pay a full time IT guy to keep them running. Not to mention the cost of air conditioning the room they are in.  I know in the CAD lab I work in, each PC ran like 2500 each. They Break down a lot, get viruses, and heat up the room to ridiculous temperatures. We have to open the windows in January. The screens are crap. (not saying all are)

I guess I'm debating now, so I'll stop. I just like to challenge people to look at the whole picture. look at the cost of a PC with comparable hardware, and the longevity/ maintenance of the product.

For me, I guess I'm just in denial, so I have to run Parallel. Hopefully in a few years I won't be.
That's not true at all with the breaking down and the majority of users don't need a 2k pc on their desk. Yes the engineering and graphics guys maybe, but that is the minority. Its much easier from a networking standpoint to manage 1000 pc's or thin clients running windows
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Ok, now that is a valid point. But in a case where you have to spend 2k+ on a computer anyway, you might as well go Mac.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Ethan Snow wrote
and you never answered my question, Do you Like your PC? or do you just use it because you have too?  Mac users seem to have a special connection to their Mac that PC users don't have.
I can't say I really like either, but predominantly use the a pc. If obtain a special connection to a piece of electronic hardware I'm quiting
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Well At least "Mac" doesn't have the word "Personal" in it as in "Personal computer"
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Man, I'm not trying to pick on you, I just think Macs are very capable machines that are underrated my many people. In many cases, you are probably right about PCs being a better business option.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
, the Mac environment is easier, more intuitive, simpler and more stable then the PC equivalent. I have to work on Windows machines on a daily basis and my hatred grows with every experience.
For it being easier, that's personal pref thing. Give a mac to someone that hasn't used one and they'll say the same you do about windows. As for the stability I disagree. Don't' install a bunch a crappy apps on the pc and windows is very stable.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
But He's not the only one who thinks that. I even know people who own PCs who agree with this.

Interested in knowing what Snoloco has to say here.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Ethan Snow wrote
Man, I'm not trying to pick on you, I just think Macs are very capable machines that are underrated my many people. In many cases, you are probably right about PCs being a better business option.
I'm aware, just stating there are many reasons why the pc has an 90% market share. Mainly  being cost due to hardware availability, software availability and lower management costs. I agree Macs are very capable machines.

I guess my main point was why bother with the mac if the software you need run is just going to require you to run windows anyway
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I bother with it because of exactly what Harvey, and Sick Bird said. I seldom open Windows on my Mac unless I'm running a proprietary Windows only Software such as CAD software. I NEVER go online in Windows. Everything else, I do in the Mac atmosphere.

I'm only running one program in windows- Solid Edge. It's such a graphically intense piece of software that many of us wish Siemens would just make it available for Mac. I Just can't justify buying another 2k piece of technology, to run the program,  that I am ultimately going to hate anyway.