Mad River Glen Difficulty

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mad River Glen Difficulty

LostCosmonaut
I'm thinking about going to MRG next weekend (also considering Sugarbush), and I was curious about how difficult it is compared to places like Gore/Whiteface. I know about the reputation it has, but how does something like Rumor/Lies compare to the average black diamond at MRG? Want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mad River Glen Difficulty

Brownski
There is plenty you'll be able to ski. If you get there and feel like you're in over your head on the single chair side, just move to the other lifts. The "Ski it if you can" istickers are just brilliant guerilla marketing. There's plenty of intermediate terrain
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
What Brown said
I can't ski half the stuff there, but i had a fantastic time.. Go , you will have a blast
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by LostCosmonaut
I have the opposite opinion.

I think MRG is hard, especially for someone that skis at "normal" mountains. Even if some trails get groomed on the double side, there's a lot of vertical, and it will tire you out. Antelope is a tough ski when it's snowy and bumped!

Rumor and Lies are like nothing at MRG. They're way wider and way more manicured, with man made snow, not natural. Every diamond at Mad River is like Gunbarrel or Lower Steilhang with 4 headwalls instead of 1. The Glades at MRG are like the first path on Chatiemac glades (the one with the frozen waterfall on skier's left).

It's a tough mountain. You can ski it, sure, but don't underestimate it. It'll tire you out and beat you down. Then you'll go back for more because it's also awesome.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I have the opposite opinion.

Shocker

It's just a ski hill

anybody can ski it

some just ski it better than others
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I just didn't want to give him the impression that it was like a bunch of trails like Rumor or Lies.

Yeah, people can ski it, but I want to make sure he knows what he's getting into, so he doesn't "get in over his head" as he said.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Well, imo, if he has to ask if he will be in over his head then he already is

I just wanted to argue
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
I just wanted to argue
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yeah, the hard stuff is harder for sure, especially if you're not used to skiing natural conditions but we can agree that if the hard stuff turns out to be too hard he'll be able to find other easier stuff to ski. It's not like the whole place is off-the-charts dangerous.
Also, Sugarbush is awesome as well
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Scruffy
How's your bump skiing? There's always a groomer down, but to really enjoy the mountain you should at least be able to ski bumps at some level. Go regardless however, it's a skiing mecca and a right of passage.  Be careful though, it's addictive, be prepared to jones to go back.

Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I always thought "Ski it if you can" meant because there was minimal snowmaking.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I always thought it meant ski it if you can get off work, and it is open.

I think the beauty is it means all those things.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ka2kci
“Ski it If You Can” refers to one’s skiing ability. Hickory Hill in Warrensburg, is the New York State version. (sorry but it is another NELSAP ski area).  Picture steeps, ungroomed, bumps with many drop offs that leave you speechless.  Skiing all natural bumps is a joy.  Even the intermediate trails can be challenging when bumped up. It has a vibe all it’s own that should not be missed!
Matt
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
There is a bumper sticker about that.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
MRG is awesome.  For all of the reasons everyone said. Though, I kind of agree with MC..it is hard and unlike any other (operating) ski area in the amount of natural, ungroomed terrain.  Not to mention a real 2000' steep vertical with no run out.

I'd be weary of Holiday crowds and liftlines at the single on President's weekend!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Harvey
I think you guys are answering to a bot. Bazinga
Reply | Threaded
|

LostCosmonaut
Thank you for the advice everyone. I think I'll try it and do some of the blues first and see how they treat me.

Also tbh I completely forgot it was president's day weekend (even though I'm a government contractor, I don't have that Monday off for some reason)
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
There are two different factors here: specific terrain versus overall difficulty. MRG has a wide range of terrain from mellow bumps to tight woods to cliffs. If you can ski bumps, you can ski most runs on map at MRG no problem. Paradise is the only on map run that is really steep. Paradise and Chute/Liftline (Gazelle Headwall in low snow conditions, too) are the only on map runs with difficult terrain obstacles that need to be negotiated. The rest of the on map terrain isn't super steep or technical and some of it (Periwinkle/Snail area, Lower Antelope) is pretty mellow for pitch... though darn long for the amount of natural snow you need to ski without a bail option.

The question is whether or not you can ski it well top to bottom all day. Unlike most other areas, at MRG you are often skiing natural snow and bumps top to bottom. You aren't skiing groomers +50% of the run to get to and from the good stuff. There is no relief unless you want to ski Catamount to Bunny all day, which isn't why most people go to MRG. One of the many great things about MRG is that it has really good blue square bumps for those that are learning bumps. But the hard part is the volume of bumps you ski in a given run without relief. There is plenty of mellow terrain, but it can still be difficult to ski if you are going top to bottom bumps every run all day.

Off map, things can get a lot more rowdy and technical...
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Scruffy
Scruffy wrote
How's your bump skiing? There's always a groomer down, but to really enjoy the mountain you should at least be able to ski bumps at some level. Go regardless however, it's a skiing mecca and a right of passage.  Be careful though, it's addictive, be prepared to jones to go back.
exactly . there will be bumps on narrow top to bottom runs. i compare it to jaws at mnt snow. narrow natural snow trail. after this weeks thaw/freeze it will be as hard as a rock. i recommend everyone ski it at yeast once. you don't often ski top to bottom at a mountain. if you get 7 runs off the single chair that is a good day. sugarbush south is one of my favorite mountains.  enjoy
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
If you can ski at Hunter you can ski anything in the world.