NYSkiBlog was spotted too!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: McCauley Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by greyMoose
greyMoose!  Can you post link to that base cam?  Want to add it to the weather page.

EDIT: Doh! Found it thanks.  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I love the way they call cord that is made from compressed blower "machine groomed."
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
This post was updated on .
I think they got around 2 feet since last weekend.  Pretty much powder everywhere...trees, bumps, groomed trails.  Yesterday was another fun day!  

chairlift over skyride
chairlift over Skyride

chairlift over Helmers
chairlift over Helmers

(apologies in advance for these pics showing up sideways.  I can't figure out why except to say that's not how I took them...honest  )
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Skied McCauley today to avoid the holiday crowds and not drive too far on account of staying up a little too late last night...

It was awesome. Ungroomed was firm until about noon, then the corn harvest began. Great bumps and coverage. Even the boilerplate and blue ice lurking beneath all that snow on the backside of the bumps finally softened. It was busy but thanks to the T-Bar no lines.

I love spring skiing but hate to see snow melt like it did this weekend. I was out in an ADK chair sitting in the middle of 4th lake yesterday watching the sun set in a t-shirt with a beer after a great day at Gore. I shouldn't be doing that until at least the beginning of April!
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
Got 10 runs in today.  Hard pack and ice in spots but pretty well groomed so that runs like SkyRide and Sidewinder were fast and a lot of fun.  Helmers and Olympic were open but with plenty of rocks exposed and ice...not for the faint of heart, definite experts only.  Glades were closed too.

Overall, not bad and what you might expect after the warm/rain/cold of the past 10 days.  If they can make it through the next two days of warm weather and chance of rain, there is snow in the forecast on the 10-day <insert praying emoji>
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
My <insert praying emoji> worked and Stella delivered to McCauley with 35 inches on Tuesday!  Went up yesterday for the St Patty's Day fun and Citizen's Downhill Race and the whole mountain is back in play and skiing great.  

Sun and temps around 35 made for soft snow and a fun day.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Bump!

Anyone have any scoop?
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
McCauley will be open tomorrow (Dec 16th)!  List of trails open will be announced later this afternoon.

Old Forge has had some good snow this past week with 3-6 more inches in the forecast for tonight/tomorrow.  Snow guns have been blazing all week too so it should make for good opening weekend.

The lodge had a renovation over the summer.  Not on the scale of Gore's Saddle Lodge renovation but they knocked some walls down to open it up and the make the big fireplace accessible to all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sweet thanks for the update. If someone sees the site updated say hello in this thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
How was the weekend?
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
My son and I were there yesterday.  It was a most excellent start to the season and most of the mountain was open (though the website listed only a few trails).  There were plenty of huge bumps from snowmaking to navigate around but I'm sure those will be groomed this week in preparation for the holiday weekend.

They did a really great job on the chalet renovation too.  Really opens things up and gives everyone access to the fireplace.  I do think they need to add back in some shelves for gear storage but they'll figure that stuff out as the year progresses.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
greyMoose wrote
My son and I were there yesterday.  It was a most excellent start to the season and most of the mountain was open (though the website listed only a few trails).  There were plenty of huge bumps from snowmaking to navigate around but I'm sure those will be groomed this week in preparation for the holiday weekend.

They did a really great job on the chalet renovation too.  Really opens things up and gives everyone access to the fireplace.  I do think they need to add back in some shelves for gear storage but they'll figure that stuff out as the year progresses.
Thanks for this. I thought about driving out Sat am, but for me it's added driving (and less sleep) on a short weekend.  Sounds like the site did undersell it.

Can't wait to see McCauley again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Anyone have an update?
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Arrived to 28" of nice powder this morning. It felt like it was bottomless at times, especially in the woods and Olympic. Needless to say this snow opened up the entire mountain. The 28" was definitely a legitimate number as they got pounded in Old Forge.

Only one pic because it was cold and I was having too much fun. Top 10 day in my book.

Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
In reply to this post by Harvey
Another fine day at McCauley yesterday! Pretty much no wait at the lift and the whole mountain is skiing great.
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
The Little Mountain That Could just keeps delivering.  Had another fun day up at McCauley yesterday with my son before he heads back to school and before the arctic blast hits us.  Can you believe it, for just $15, my son gets the mid-week, all-day college rate.  

The whole mountain remains in play.  One small negative was SkyRide which had snow guns going and you had to work your way around them.  No big deal though...

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks for the update, really appreciate it.  I may drive up from Plattekill Sunday night and ski Big Mac on Monday.  Love to connect with anybody who is up for it. Looks like a heat wave and a good chance for snow.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-74.96238044122384&lat=43.6907100445778#.Wk96CLSpnOR

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Whenever I see this thread pop up I get this parrot squawking noise in my head.  Just sharing.
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
Harvey wrote
Thanks for the update, really appreciate it.  I may drive up from Plattekill Sunday night and ski Big Mac on Monday.  Love to connect with anybody who is up for it. Looks like a heat wave and a good chance for snow.
Wish I could but my car is in the shop ... your birthday too on Monday?