Midlife Crisis and Being a Skier

114 messages Options
1234 ... 12
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Midlife Crisis and Being a Skier

Mountain Journal published online this three part article about mountain town living and becoming a middle aged man. It resonates a lot for me and my experiences with trying to reinvent myself and let go of things that I used to define myself as. I've struggled with it over the years and have been lost at times in the bottle or other risky behaviors....I do enjoy some risk but I'm starting to come out on the other side of it all and starting to really enjoy this new part of my life. It's a much more comfortable and relaxed place and I can finally focus on some other things.

So I know that my story is a lot different than most of you guys on here but I'm curious how the transition into becoming middle aged had affected you? If you can relate it to sport and other youthful pursuits that's great but it can be about anything really.

Here's that series of three articles in case you're interested. I can relate big time to this story and so can a lot of my old riding buds I'm sure.

http://mountainjournal.org/when-peter-pan-reaches-middle-age

http://mountainjournal.org/mountain-town-midlife-crisis

http://mountainjournal.org/the-midlife-crisis-trilogy
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Re: Midlife Crisis and Being a Skier

I can certainly relate, RA. I was never really on this path but I knew guys that were. I only skibummed two seasons and never tried to stick around long term. I guess I’m probably lucky I wasn’t a talented enough skier to think I could do something with it. Also, I think we’re about the same age so I certainly understand the mid-life aspect of it as well.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

I never skied until mid-life so I have a different kind of crisis. I'm 59 (on Monday!) and I am in deep with this job of mine and family responsibilities.... how many more powder days will I get? Will I ever really be an effortless expert?

I kind of felt that maybe I've peaked, this is as good as I get. Last week at Gore when the upper mountain was shut down for wind (windchill) my buddy Zach took me through a passage he maintains. We had to huck a cliff (ok maybe it was a big rock) in a really tight spot. It was worth it when we got through.

Zach told me that he's been watching me this year, I've upped my game and he thought I was ready for that huck and the line below. #pumped

Someday I'm sure I'll be bummed I'm old, but that day ain't here yet.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

Great articles, RA. Thanks for sharing those ---- I can relate with Walt, not so much with being a bad-ass skier type but more along the lines of change.

This paragraph right here is what I went through. It's balls hard to accomplish, I'm not sure I have, but it's something I work on every single day.

"Men know how to fix things, a binding that comes loose, a chain wrapped around the gears, a sprained ankle in the backcountry. In mental health, however, there is nothing to “fix” within ourselves, only a change of attitude about what the perceived problem is.  It isn’t as simple as a prescription you take for a couple of weeks and a quick return to “normal”, because the old “normal” is what led to the need for therapy."

I was a big time "fixer", nothing I couldn't fix. If there was a problem I was your guy to "fix" it. Not sure how I got there but I did. I learned I needed to work less on fixing things and work harder on letting things be the way they are. In other words, mindfulness. Mindfulness is something I work on, as well as something I enjoy. It still feels wrong but that's how I know it's right.

Anyway, Midlife Crisis???? I bought a new sled. BRAAAAP
Reply |

Good quote Camp. That’s definitely explaining the changing of gears and outlook that comes with age for a lot of us. I think this thread was in part inspired by Sno’s posts in the WF conditions thread and how I can see his feelings compared to my own 20 years ago. I was into different things for sure but that need to control life or the world around me was very similar. For me a big turning point was being caught in a slide in 2006 in Telluride but it still took several more years for it to really set in.

My sled was going back to school and growing long hair!
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

You Rebel!!

I really think you are going to enjoy being a nurse.
Reply |

Thanks bud, I sure hope so. I’m filling out an application for a program right now and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared.
x10003q x10003q
Reply |

In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Thanks for the excellent articles.
Reply |

This makes getting older so much sweeter. This was Cody’s first time trying to make a Hollywood turn for the camera. She’s only ten years old, I started skiing at ten!

Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Sweet shot.

Hollywood turn? Is that making the snow fly so that 2 inches looks like a foot?

How do you do it? Like a half hockey stop?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1234 ... 12