classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Movies for The Whole Family

Harvey
Administrator
We're always looking for SOMETHING that we can all watch, ok for Neve (8) and won't drive me insane. We saw Maleficent last night and it was so good. Great story, effects, twists, emotion. A little violent/scary in parts, but wow. I woke up this morning thinking about it.

Wondered if anyone with kids has a hard time finding a movie good for all.

We also totally dug How to Train a Dragon.

Suggestions on this very welcome.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Movies for The Whole Family

MC2 5678F589
I saw Wreck it Ralph and was surprised that it was so good. (Maybe just felt that way because I liked video games).
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
My wife and I rented Chef this weekend, I don't recall any bad language and it was a really cute story. Definitely no sex or violence.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Harvey
Just saw Big Hero Six -- a good movie.  Not much in the theaters as far as family fare goes.  It gets easier when the kids get to be 12+.  You can see superhero movies (usually too much violence for younger kids) and some of the dystopian stuff lately (Hunger Games, Divergent) has been pretty good.

Other recommendations (some older ones that are on Netflix and cable, not sure what you've seen).  Leaving out the obvious Disney/Pixar stuff (HSM, Wall-E, Ratatouille, Frozen)

Blackfish (documentary about captive Orcas, somewhat depressing)
The Mighty Macs
The Truman Show
School of Rock
The Blind Side (some threats of violence)
A Wrinkle in Time
Boy in the Striped Pajamas (8 might be too young -- about the Holocaust; but keep it on radar for later)
Muppet Christmas Carol (Michael Caine is awesome -- plays it totally straight opposite the muppets)
The Game Plan
Escape From Witch Mountain (guns)
Bedtime Stories
The Iron Giant
Little House on the Prairie (a two-part miniseries from 2005 -- a great family movie, but hard to find)

Petronio

Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
Add Newsies to the list
That little house by Disney that was mentioned is great.  Historically accurate.
My girls LOVE Annie!
Sound of Music is more fun than you remember, especially when seen through your daughters eyes.
Apple Dumpling gang
The Ghost and Mr Chicken
Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein--a little late but still
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Gorefarmhouse wrote
Sound of Music
That is one of my yearly watch movies.
Now that we are coming into the xmas season (but you must wait until Santa closes the Macy's parade) the list of Christmas movies is pretty big. The ones we always watch as a family:
Miracle, both the original and the remake that was done back in the 90s
It's a wonderful live
White xmas (love to listen to Bing Sing)
and I am sure there are others that people can add - these are our annuals.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Elf and Kicking and Screaming are pretty good family movies, especially if you like Will Ferrel.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
The Night at the Museum Series is fun too.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
Ratatoulle - is great movie for kids and adults if you have not seen it.  
Despicable me and Despicable me 2 is also very funny for both kids and adults.  
Warren Miller's No Turning Back
We took Claudia to see the opener for WM No Turning Back....she is 7....she turns to me and says "Daddy this is so boring"...I turn to her like in the "How to be a skier movie" and say.....yo that was sooooooo sick.....a real daddy daughter bonding experience LOL :) (I would recommend skipping any WM with a 7 year old)
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This probably wouldn't interest the "whole" family, but mom & dad might like it.

It's all about the Liberal Media bias... I thought it was interesting... My father to some extent has followed the same path as the father in this documentary. I rented it on iTunes... not sure if it's up on Netflix.