Quantcast

Mt. Baker 3/25-3/26/17

classic Classic
40 messages Options
Reply |  

Mt. Baker 3/25-3/26/17

JTG4eva!
nepa wrote
It's a whole-nother level of remoteness over in that neck of the woods...
Thank God!

So glad to escape the concrete jungle....at least I had 32ounces to aid the exodus!

Now that's a little better!  My solo exploits to date have gone well, praying the same holds true with my brother....

Reply |  

Re: Mt. Baker 3/25-3/26

nepa
2-4 over here turned out to be 6 to 8... I can only imagine what it's going to be like over there.  Good Luck!! Stay safe!

Reply |  

JTG4eva!
5" overnight, 11" the past 24, for a cool 30" since Wednesday.  Only 3.5 hours of sleep (plus a few fitful winks on the plane) and time to get at it.....

Reply |  

JTG4eva!
Did someone say snow banks?

Reply |  

JasonWx
There's those famous snow banks!!!

"Peace and Love"
Reply |  

JTG4eva!
Wow!  I though Tahoe had a lot of snow and Squaw had some sick lines, but this place....wow.  

Storming all day, and 36 inches since Wednesday skied like 36 inches, everywhere.  Visibility was terrible all day, so not much stopping for pictures.  This out of bounds cliff line brought the camera out tho....

Reply |  

JTG4eva!

Glacier, 18 miles down mountain and the closest town (if you can really call it that)/Lodging to Baker, is a sleepy looking town, but the bar is hopping.  Chair 9 (hill has Cairs 2-8) is a fun little place.

A few words about Baker......while it may only be 1,500 vertical t is NOT small. More so than any Western resort I've been to, not only can you ski anything you see...but you can actually get to it.  It skis bigger than it's statistics.  On top of that there is easily accessible side country, notwithstanding the ability to get cliffed out easily.

Fun place, surface only scratched.

Reply |  

JasonWx
how is the snow?

"Peace and Love"
Reply |  

JTG4eva!
Soft knee deep powder (closer to blower than Cascade concrete) in the morning gave way to heavy cut up with some warming in the afternoon.  Never got above freezing as it was snowing all day, with nice refreshing late afternoon.  Cat tracks and groomers, where needed, were soft and velvety early, turning to high water content packed late.  While the Canyon and Gunner Zones were closed due to risk of avalanche into the canyon (terrain trap), other than that everything was in play in bounds wall to wall.  Ventured one run under the rope into the sidecountry where it was steep and deep. Got myself into a dicey cliff zone on that one, a curving chute lookers right of the huge rock face in my picture.  45+ degrees, ski width wide, for 200 vertical feet.  My side slipping skills got a workout there. Incredible conditions.  Fortunately the avy forecast is moderate today at and below tree line so we should have some incredible conditions and fun in the backcountry today.  Considerable above tree line so it will be very conservative on the open slopes.

Reply |  

JasonWx
Man 3 for 3 this season on trips!!!

"Peace and Love"