classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NCAA

D.B. Cooper
x10003q wrote
There is no such thing as a 4 year scholarship. The scholarship needs to be renewed each year. You can be dropped for many reasons including injury. The tuition cost to the University can actually placed at almost zero - adding a few more students into classes that are already scheduled costs nothing. The university owns athletes for 20 hours a week and that does not include "voluntary" practices, training/rehab/taping,  and no travel or only part of the travel. This is a part time job that sits on top of your academics.

Where do the basketball 1 and done athletes fit in? They are clearly not there to get an academic education as they are planning to leave after 1 season. They should be paid for their year of work.

Athletes are also not allowed to make money from anything having to do with their sport. A D2 pitcher I know was offered a job to give pitching lessons part time at a baseball training facility. It would have paid him $25 an hour for 20 hours a week. Because of NCAA rules, he was not allowed to take the job. He needs money to help pay for school so he had to take a much lower paying job flipping burgers for longer hours that cut into his summer training. These rules do not exist for any other non-athletic or academic scholarships like music, computer programming, art, and in fact you are encouraged to get positions in your scholarship field. Coaching sports seems to be a legitimate way to earn a lucrative living, yet those who are might be inclined to choose coaching as a vocation are not allowed to work in the field.
OK, I'll agree that scholarships should be 4-years rather than 4x1, that 1 and done is ridiculous and that maybe athletes should be able to work in their discipline at fair market wages (i.e. not $200/hour).

It's not "free labor."  It may be an incremental cost to the school, but there is a clear quid pro quo.  The cost of the education needs to be taken into account.  Just because it's pennies to Microsoft for your copy of Microsoft Office, that doesn't mean you should pay pennies.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NCAA

campgottagopee
D.B. Cooper wrote
 that 1 and done is ridiculous and that maybe athletes should be able to work in their discipline at fair market wages (i.e. not $200/hour).

Looks like it's about to begin. LaVar has already taken his 2 remaining kids out of high school and college  to go play in Lithuanian. Now he's marketing to the 1 and done's to come play in his new league. I give the guy credit because I think he will succeed in doing this.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/lavar-ball-starting-league-for-players-to-skip-college/ar-BBH5lCv?ocid=ientp