NCAA

22 messages Options
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

NCAA

Anyone who follows college athletics has long known the corruptness of the NCAA. It's going to be interesting to see where this stops, or if it even does.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/9/27/16367814/ncaa-basketball-fbi-investigation-coaches-agents-adidas 
x10003q x10003q
Reply |

Re: NCAA

campgottagopee wrote
Anyone who follows college athletics has long known the corruptness of the NCAA. It's going to be interesting to see where this stops, or if it even does.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/9/27/16367814/ncaa-basketball-fbi-investigation-coaches-agents-adidas
No surprise here. Any system that seems ok with 1 and done is bent from the word go. By the way, Pitino was fired.
Reply |

Agree. I was only surprised because it took them so long.

And the AD was fired. I'm cool with it. Pitino seemed to always have our number here at Cuse.
warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |

No surprise with Pitino , glad he and AD were found complicit ., but complicity does not end there . It is part of the intitutional hierarchy

Frankly at D 1 this stuff has been going on for years to one degree or another. Look D One is a BUSINESS plain and simple always has been. In spiite of all the PIOUS PIFFLE , at the end of the day ,asses on seats pays the freight for many institutional activities at THAT LEVEL .

Admittedly i am an ole fart purist who coached collegiate level hoops as a young man . It was JUCO Or now known as NJCAA . There were no such arrangements , kids played because they could . Sure there was legit financial aid within the Federal regs that apply to all students, but students  actually graduated and transferred or went to real jobs  upon degree completion  . Winning was important but being competitive and expecting your kids to survive academically was a driving force too.

I am a supporter of D3 and D2 level expectations , ie student athletes not pro training camp recruits

DI is a pre professional minor league feeder system .....nothing more . Its all about winning , TV rights , alumni and booster contributions and all the other financial incentives that surround a for profit situation . It is right NO ! Not until the expectations are managed and the hypocrisy taken out of those expectations . THESE ARE NOT STUDENTS they are indentured servants at best or underpaid employees at worst  

But reality is such that until we recognize that , things will never change .

Oh dust ups will occur , people will get blacklisted and righteous indignation will occur .  So what is the answer ??

How can this environment best be improved ?? thoughts .. Reactions ??

Reply |

I'm just pissed cause when I was recruited to play hoops in the NAIA  nobody offered my a hooker

I think you hit the nail right on the head Warp when you called D1 sports a biz. Maybe the answer is to pay these athletes and not hide behind the word "student" athlete?  They truly are pro training grounds so maybe it's time to embrace that instead of trying to cover it up. Please don't misunderstand me I think there is and always will be the true student athlete but at that level it takes an amazing person to pull that off. Because let me tell you swimming laps at 5AM totally sucked ass!
warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |

Yes it is a very difficult expectation Camper ! I watched my son a 3 sport Division one athlete while earning a degree in the Medical profession .. ITQ WAS HARD ! He passed up a great deal at UCONN as a freshman because at that time we both thought D one was a stretch on his time given the rigor involved with his program of study .

So he opted for a D2 school , but that University ultimately ratcheted up to D1 level in his fourth year and it was difficult to do one sport let alone 3 ..

In his fifth  year of a medical education he still had one season of eligibility left in ONE of his sports BUT by that time with Externships, regular rotations in various levels of different organizations , hospitals research facilities in addition to course work it BECAME impossible  .

I think we NEED a totally different model for Division One that is all i am saying .  it is not a realistic situation as it is currently structured . I think the PROS need to ANTE Up for the cost of it  too
Reply |

warp daddy wrote

I think we NEED a totally different model for Division One that is all i am saying .  it is not a realistic situation as it is currently structured . I think the PROS need to ANTE Up for the cost of it  too
I agree! The thought of bringing the pros into it makes sense as well. After all they're the ones who will ultimately benefit. It's the least they can do being nonprofit and all.

Warp JR --- 3 sport D1 --- damn Big Daddy Warp that's some serious DNA you carry around
warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |

Camper thank you BUT , trust me. I sucked !!!

My  speech to the Athletic Banquet at the college usualy had THIS story in it :

Hell when i was a college athlete i was  a REAL STUD ,  there in RED n' Gold uniform  . Yep played THREE freakin positions END , GUARD and Tackle . Waiting for the usual response i d say " well thats the way i remeber it" but in reality I. Sat on the END o the bench , Guarded the water bucket  andTackled the first sumbitch that came near it .

Nah nuttin special like you WARHORSE ( you woulda been a damn aircraft carrier in the paint on one o my hoop squads )  

Reply |

warp daddy wrote

Hell when i was a college athlete i was  a REAL STUD ,  there in RED n' Gold uniform  . Yep played THREE freakin positions END , GUARD and Tackle . Waiting for the usual response i d say " well thats the way i remeber it" but in reality I. Sat on the END o the bench , Guarded the water bucket  andTackled the first sumbitch that came near it .

Too funny!
warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |

So Campy yer ole college coach ever give ya this line about using the triangle for  blocking out :  " i don't  wanna see nuthin but asses n elbows , use em boyz "       Hahahha loved my players , still do . great bunch o men