NY Ski Area Closing Dates (2012)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
51 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NY Ski Mountain Closing Dates (2012)

dmc_hunter
Hunter open all week... Heading out now..
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
This was posted on fb Friday so they didn't open this past weekend believe 3/11 was the last day there

Willard Mountain
And so now its the weekend and the weather this week has not been kind to our snow and you guessed it........we will remain closed and will most likely be calling it a season. Thank you so very much to all of you who came out to go skiing or riding with us this winter.
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
Posted yesterday on fb so they closed 3/18

Catamount
Last chance to hit the trails today, it is officially our last day of the season. The sun is coming out and it's going to be 70 degrees which makes for fantastic spring skiing and riding! Renewing passholders, don't forget that you save $20 off your adult junior passes if you renew before March 31st!
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

frosty
In reply to this post by MadPatSki
MadPatSki wrote
I'm pretty sure there is more than one family that has been affected and pretty sure they will not even take a chance to book one week of skiing in Malone next year or in the future if the hill was closed and it wasn't even raining. Oh yeah, it was pretty sunny with blue skies when I drove by Titus today.

I'm just happy I didn't book lodging in Malone.
Really?  Canadians actually book week long ski vacations to Malone, NY?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gore Closing Announced

adkskier
This post was updated on .
Posted on the Gore website today:
"We are closed Monday-Wednesday, March 19-21, and plan to reopen Thursday, March 22 with the Straight Brook Quad, the High Peaks Chair, the Topridge Triple, and the Northwoods Gondola.  We anticipate Sunday, March 25 to be our Closing Day."

All good things must come to an end.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
Places in VT & NY dropping like crazy this weather is bringing an end toooo fast!
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I heard an ad TODAY on WIZN saying Jay is still 100% open...True???
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
sudsnbumps wrote
I heard an ad TODAY on WIZN saying Jay is still 100% open...True???
It ain't easy to tell what's going on via Jay's website - lists 43 of 77 trails open, but that could be midweek? Somehow I doubt Jay hasn't lost any terrain. Possibly an out of date ad?  Been seeing ads here in the forum for Jiminy Peak President's Week packages.

In other news, Whiteface has decided to shut it down this Sunday 3/25, leaving open the slight possibility that they would reopen next weekend.

Windham is also done as of 3/18.

Thanks to all for the help provided... would love to complete the list at the beginning of this thread. It's easy enough to tell who's closed, but harder to tell when the last day of skiing was.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps

I can't imagine what will be left at WF by Sunday.  I told Duck last night to get there today if he can because this sun and heat is destroying everything quickly.  As luck would have it, if Gore is able to open tomorrow I will be there...giving my allstars one more day before they get sacrificed  They've served me well...
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
It ain't easy to tell what's going on via Jay's website - lists 43 of 77 trails open, but that could be midweek? Somehow I doubt Jay hasn't lost any terrain. Possibly an out of date ad?  Been seeing ads here in the forum for Jiminy Peak President's Week packages.
Unless they build an enormous dome over the mountain, Jay would have lost some serious terrain. We're having our overnight Lows beating our record Highs temps in Ottawa for days. (were talking about 60F overnight). The summit of Jay would have been above freezing between 50-60F for days for a couple of days.

Check out the stake at Mansfield...no good. Terrible in fact if you love skiing. Easily the shortest eastern ski season ever unless...

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=depths.php
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
I think Jay lost significant amount just since yesterday.  I get their daily snow report.  It went from 71 trails on monday to 56 on tuesday to 43 today.  Up until Sunday they had 70+ open daily.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jack the Ripper
Whiteface is closing this Sunday.  Got this info from management.

:(
A bad day of skiing is better than a good day of working
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
Killington went from 69 trails on Monday, 52 yesterday, and 23 today. I'm going up for one more weekend then it's time to get out the bikes, hiking equipment and say goodbye to the winter that wasn't. Hopefully next year is far better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Jack the Ripper
Jack the Ripper wrote
Whiteface is closing this Sunday.
I would think that's an optimistic date.

Does anyone know where they are setting up the Air Bag for this weekend?  Just curious...
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
In reply to this post by Funky Polak
Funky Polak wrote
Killington went from 69 trails on Monday, 52 yesterday, and 23 today. I'm going up for one more weekend then it's time to get out the bikes, hiking equipment and say goodbye to the winter that wasn't. Hopefully next year is far better.
Now 14, the mountain is melting!
Reply | Threaded
|

RosieSki
McCauley is closed, their last day was 3/18.  The snow is melting way too fast!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks Rosie et al. Anyone have info on Royal, Labrador or Toggenburg? All closed just not sure when.

One thing cool about Facebook/Twitter - they make it easier to dig this kind of info up as they are more easily updated.  The above hills don't have FB pages or I couldn't find the info.

So we've got Whiteface, Gore, Hunter and Holimont in the game. Would love to see Holimont spin the lifts until 4:15 on whatever day and outlast the big guys!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Gore announced on their Facebook page that the snow is "disappearing faster than we can move it" and today is going to be their last day.  :(
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
Harvey - shared the FB page with you this was posted earlier today on their wall
The word from Jim is Royal will have skiing on Saturday from 9 to 1. We will have an update on trails Friday.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Everything is closing locally around Ottawa. Fortune and Edelweiss announced today that they aren't reopening. Ste-Marie, Vorlage, Calabogie and Parkenham closed this past weekend. No news yet from Cascades.

Not sure how many ski areas will be left once this heatwave ends. +26c (previous record today is +15c) forecast again today. Average High is +4c.

Eastern Ski Disaster and Winter Hating Heatwave
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/eastern-ski-disaster-and-winter-hating-heatwave/

Is my ski streak going to survive or died in the coming and continuing summer months?
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography