NY Ski Area Closing Dates (2012)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
51 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NY Ski Mountain Closing Dates (2012)

Harvey
Administrator
Rumor:  Royal Mountain will re-open for 4 hours, from 9am - 1pm on Saturday 3/24.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by Jack the Ripper
Jack the Ripper wrote
Whiteface is closing this Sunday.  Got this info from management.

:(
still officially saying they will reevaluate for next weekend.  it would be tough, but cha never know.  no official decision has been made to close and nor re open yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Harv, do you have a working web address for Royal?  I can't seem to find one with info more recent than 2010.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
gebbyfish wrote
Harv, do you have a working web address for Royal?  I can't seem to find one with info more recent than 2010.
I don't.  I got a tip from Fahz (thanks bro!) that the way to get Royal info was to "Friend" them on Facebook.  They don't have a true fan page, but a personal page, so once you friend them you can see their post, and ask questions etc.

(I made the same mistake of having a personal page for NYSB. It's hard to get people to switch to your fan page, and you don't want to "unfriend" them - as it sends a negative message.)

Anyway if interested in Royal here's the page:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Royal-Mountain-Ski-Area/100000571885474

Send a friend request. They jumped right on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Harvey Road has help me complete the ugly NY pictures.

Here is the rest of the ugliness.

70 or less ski areas that are looking to open this weekend.

ON: 1 maybe
QC: 42 or less (wasn't able to confirm some of them)
NB: 2
NS: 1
NL: 1 or more
NY: 4
VT: 10
NH: 6
ME: 3

List of specific areas in my blog:
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/eastern-ski-disaster-and-winter-hating-heatwave/#comment-1406
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NY Ski Area Closing Dates (2012)

Adk Jeff
This post was updated on .
Excerpt of press release from ORDA this afternoon:

Media:

The 2011-’12 skiing and riding season is coming to an end. It’s official, Whiteface Mountain, in Wilmington, N.Y., will close for the season at the end of the day, this Sunday, March 25. Enjoy the last weekend of skiing and riding at the Olympic Mountain for $40 for adults, $30 for teens and $20 for juniors.

On Saturday and Sunday, catch some big air on the BagJump™.  Jump like the pros do, try new tricks, practice your style and get bigger airtime all while landing safely on a cushion of air underneath.  Prices for the BagJump are $20 for Saturday and Sunday and $10 for a one jump ticket.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Adk_Jeff just announced the official announcement. Whiteface' season ends tomorrow. Tomorrow it is the last New York ski area operating, March 25.

No liftserved skiing in the State of New York. I don't know about NYS, but some areas have closed earliest ever in their existence. Mont Sutton's last day tomorrow will be its earlier closing by one week dating back to March 31, 1981. It was also their shortest season in their 52 year history.

I started a draft of my next post on who's looking to open next weekend, the East (from Ontario to the Atlantic) will have lost approximately half its areas. There are a few maybes in those numbers.

* - indicates talk of snowmaking this week

Quebec : 24 ski areas are still hopeful for weekend or didn't mention that tomorrow is the last day.
Big names still open: Tremblant, St-Sauveur, Ste-Anne, Stoneham, Le Relais, Owl's Head, Bromont, Le Valinouet...)

Vermont : 5 (Jay*, Smuggs, Stowe, Sugarbush, Killington)
New Hampshire : 4 (Loon*, Waterville, Bretton Woods, Wildcat)
Maine: 3 (Saddleback, Sunday River*, Sugarloaf*)
Nova Scotia: 1 (no word on next week)
Newfoundland: 1 or more

This is one month early for the Northeast is the amount of ski areas open and roughly the probably the equivalent of Easter weekend for Quebec. Some Quebec have been more affected by the heatwave than others, also natural snow ski areas in the Charlevoix, Gaspe have been heavily affected. Quebec City areas are in the best shape right now.

Hoping to post an update around next Wednesday/Thursday with a detail listing on Ski Mad World.

PS. As I was working on my draft, Waterville Valley NH is offering free skiing from now until the end of the season; they are hoping to make it to April 1.
Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Here is this week update.

Around the corner : Surviving the Heatwave or the End of the 2012 Eastern ski season?
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/around-the-corner-surviving-the-heatwave-or-the-end-of-the-2012-eastern-ski-season/

29 still spinning in the East this weekend, none in New York, but elsewhere

Newfoundland : 1 or more
Quebec : 17
Vermont : 4
New Hampshire : 4
Maine : 3

Pretty pathetic if you compare with numbers from previous years.
Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The only NY closing date I wasn't able to find was Labrador:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/NY-Ski-Area-Closing-Dates-2012-tp3721525p3721525.html

(I did send email and post on their FB page.)

Any help appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Looks like Kmart is done today, Jay will reevaluate next weekend in a few days.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Harvey44 wrote
Looks like Kmart is done today, Jay will reevaluate next weekend in a few days.
Kmart is done. Great post on thesnowway.com by Riverc0il.

I've updated my Eastern Closing Post on Ski Mad World.

“May” not ski and ride lifts for long in the East – East Closing Thread 2012 – Part 6

Saturday update:

Killington has announced that Sunday April 22 will be their last day of the season.

Rain in the forecast where the three remaining ski areas.

Mt St-Sauveur was closed today with the rain, will open sunday is the forecast is better: 2 runs / $20. Open only on weekends.

Jay Peak is only running the Triple. 3 runs / $35. Will be evaluating re-opening the weekend sometimes midweek..

Killington is at 5 runs / $49. Last day on April 22.
So MSS, Jay and K are open today.
Who or is anyone going to spin next weekend? We know that K is done...maybe for the remaining two.

I'll post something on Ski Mad World sometimes midweek regarding of liftserved status. Oh yeah, we've suppose to get some snow over here.
Ski Mad World