74 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NYS electricity costs

Z
This post was updated on .
Gov Cuomo has sold out the states consumers at a cost of $1000 per household in higher electricity and heating costs.  Plus this is costing the state manufacturing jobs.  He needs to put the welfare of the state ahead of his radical ideology.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/cuomos-energy-jobs-veto-1461712400

I'm ok with the fracking ban though I think it should be more of a county level decision.  Not supporting the Nat gas pipeline is visiting every one of us in higher electric costs and hurting job growth.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NYS electricity costs

PeeTex
The cost of energy today is lower than at anytime within my lifetime in real dollars. Whether it's electricity, gasoline or natural gas. I have no sympathy for this project. Why not wait until we need it. There are not that many jobs that will be created and it is likely going to be a financial bust.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Becuase it creates jobs.  NY has to compete with other states for mfr jobs and the other states offer much lower cost power and lower taxes.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Coach Z wrote
Becuase it creates jobs.  NY has to compete with other states for mfr jobs and the other states offer much lower cost power and lower taxes.
Look at your electric bill, what is the supply rate?
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
This is an incredibly short sited and clueless political decision by Cuomo. Now this will go to court and cost taxpayers more money. Not only is he giving the Southern tier of NYS a big FU on jobs, this pipeline would be able to supply natural gas to New England. New England's lack of natural gas forces high use of oil for heating and even electrical generation. Burning oil is way dirtier than natural gas. The price of natural gas is also less volatile and less expensive than oil, but who cares about the end users.  

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by PeeTex
6.49 cents per kw/hr

its not just the electric its heating too.  There is not much home heating with Nat Gas in NYS and New England.  I use propane but a big percentage use heating oil which is not at all environmentally friendly.  Lots of people still use electric in some towns to heat.  That is costs NYS consumers a grand a year according to the WSJ.

In the Midwest Nat Gas right now is super cheap giving them a cost advantage over North Eastern competitors.  

Cuomo is using the same flawed liberal logic as Obama.  He doesn't like where the energy is coming from (in this case fracking in PA and Ohio) so he is going to not allow it to be easily transported into NYS even though it would benefit the businesses and consumers of NYS.  Same liberal stupidity as Obama blocking the Keystone pipeline and even using the same BS method of environmental permits being blocked.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
So your electric rate is super cheap, more natural gas would likely not change that one bit. Industry mostly used electric unless you are an industry like paper where you have to do a lot of drying. So why don't you have big Aluminum plants in Lake Plastic? It's not due to expensive energy. There are much bigger fish to fry here.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
its not LP that I'm worried about - its the rest of the state and the Northeast as a whole which is my region I cover for my job.  I've had so many customers of mine move south over the last 10 years costing me millions in sales per year and god knows how many thousands of jobs lost for the state and region.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Coach did you say once that the cost of electric is artificially low or subsidized in your area?

If so who pays the difference?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I've always heard that this area gets low cost electricity from one of the hydro projects up on the St L River.  It was part of the deal during the Olympics and I don't have much more in the way of details as that predates me in the Daks.  I thought at some point is will end too but not sure when.  Maybe someone else can provide details.

Certainly my personal interests are pro mfr in the NE but that also means jobs for thousands of people which should be what our Gov is looking at and not some false religion against carbon.  Even then it would be much greener to be using nat gas to heat homes than heating oil so he is clueless even to his own agenda.  When a politician puts his ideology ahead of his constituents its time to get rid of him.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Coach Z wrote
I've always heard that this area gets low cost electricity from one of the hydro projects up on the St L River.  It was part of the deal during the Olympics and I don't have much more in the way of details as that predates me in the Daks.  I thought at some point is will end too but not sure when.  Maybe someone else can provide details.

Certainly my personal interests are pro mfr in the NE but that also means jobs for thousands of people which should be what our Gov is looking at and not some false religion against carbon.  Even then it would be much greener to be using nat gas to heat homes than heating oil so he is clueless even to his own agenda.  When a politician puts his ideology ahead of his constituents its time to get rid of him.
This is no special rate, most of the Northern part of the state has rates between $0.05 & $0.06/KWH. As far as Natural gas is concerned, we actually pay less than they to in PA where all that gas is. Our rate is around $0.3/Therm, there's is about $0.48/Ccf where a Ccf is pretty close to a Therm. We don't need a pipeline. It won't make any appreciable difference in jobs or economic growth in our area.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
PeeTex wrote
Coach Z wrote

This is no special rate, most of the Northern part of the state has rates between $0.05 & $0.06/KWH. As far as Natural gas is concerned, we actually pay less than they to in PA where all that gas is. Our rate is around $0.3/Therm, there's is about $0.48/Ccf where a Ccf is pretty close to a Therm. We don't need a pipeline. It won't make any appreciable difference in jobs or economic growth in our area.
Of course Ptex knows more about the economy than the editors of the WSJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Or he has a different political agenda.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Or he has a different political agenda.
Indeed. I am glad NYS has blocked Fracking and I am glad we are blocking this pipeline. Wait until we need it, we don't need either right now. What we need is a state government that is less bureaucratic towards business, and that does not have a ridiculous tax code and spends the money it takes in more wisely rather than paying off political allies and lining the pockets of political buddies. The pipeline would be just another opportunity for political payoffs and graft. I do not strongly oppose it for environmental reasons, except to say that building stuff we don't need is bad for the environment in general. Z and I are together on Solar - we are miles apart on this.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Since the tax rate is unlikely going down in NYS in my lifetime and as it takes years to design and build a pipeline the job one of you may lose in the next few years from now is due to Gov Cuomo with PTex's apathy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I believe smart phones and tablets are even worse.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
I'm not saying it is necessarily evil, but i sure as hell don't want it near the NYC water supply. Or any American's.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
You gotta love the self righteous logic of the wealthy extreme left liberals! Or.....maybe not. I think I'm very happy about trying to remain a critical thinking fence sitting skeptic!