New home in the Dacks!

38 messages Options
EastCoastChris EastCoastChris
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

New home in the Dacks!

Hey y'all...
Just wanted say hello as I am a new rider to the Dacks that just committed to Gore as my new home hill.

I grew up in Maine where Sugarloaf was my local hill - I love that mountain and it will always be dear to my heart. I majored in Sunday River in college. I moved to NYC graduating and rode Mt. Snow for a few years.

I took a few seasons off but found myself on the west coast (Tahoe) from Dec to April and rode like like crazy particularly at Kirkwood and Sugarbowl.

Upon coming back to NY, I decided I would commit to the NYS mountains sight unseen. Didnt grab the full pass but I got the Empire Card and some Awesome Packs for family. I rode Mt. Snow and Stratton on occasion because they were easy "big mountains" to get to from NYC but I was never really in love with either mountain.  

I got a a friend that does midweek personal day trips to Belleyare so that is what made me  start looking in NYS. But once I started reading up I started falling hard for Gore. Something about the place just calls to me. It just looks so right. Like everything I want in a local hill. I can't believe I defaulted to Southern VT all those seasons.

My brother lives in the capital region. I convinced him to join me and get back on the snow for the first time in maybe 15 years. So I will be watching the weather and I can be at his place in a couple hours if a storm is coming and we can wake up in the AM and make a game time decision on Gore or Whiteface based on on morning reports.  A perfect set up!

So I was thrilled to find this forum...looks like a great place to get updated condition and weather info. I am totally set up to move quick and get first tracks on the pow! Its gonna be a great year I think.  Liking the early cold for sure. Now we need a "tons and tons of precip" year.  I am declaring the 2013-2014 season the Year of the Glades!

By April I know I will be screaming MORE GORE!
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Re: New home in the Dacks!

Welcome Chris.  

As you've probably figured out by now, your posting privileges are enabled.

Sounds like you picked Gore without skiing there? Curious about how a snowboarder made that call.

Great stoke, hope to run into you on the hill someday.
"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

In reply to this post by EastCoastChris
Welcome to NY State skiing.

It's really a failure of marketing that NYS doesn't get the recognition of Vermont... Well, that and the relative lack of natural snow...
x10003q x10003q
Reply |

mattchuck2 wrote
Welcome to NY State skiing.

It's really a failure of marketing that NYS doesn't get the recognition of Vermont... Well, that and the relative lack of natural snow...
It is marketing.
Gore 150", Mt Snow 156", Stratton 180", Whiteface 198", Okemo 200", Killington 250".

Gore is not that far off the Mt Snow/Stratton number and the WF number is decent. It is just that Gore is not advertised at all in the NYC metro area. It is an unknown. Whiteface gets some ad dollars, but people think it is farther than Stowe from the NYC Metro.

freeheeln freeheeln
Reply |

In reply to this post by EastCoastChris
EastCoastChris wrote
Hey y'all...
Just wanted say hello as I am a new rider to the Dacks that just committed to Gore as my new home hill.

By April I know I will be screaming MORE GORE!
 we have all screamed that ,for various reasons , before  april
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
...failure of marketing...
LOLzer, doin the best I can
"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
SIAWOL SIAWOL
Reply |

Hail to a fellow 'Loafer! Now let's get this season going.....
Chris Chris
Reply |

Welcome to... The machine.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Winter is here! SIAWOL is back.

"Welcooooooooome to the Machine...."
Hudsonhiker Hudsonhiker
Reply |

Welcome Chris. Your enthusiasm is great. Hope you enjoy Gore as much as I always have. Harv your picture is super. Makes me happy just looking at it. Little guy just looking forward to another ski day.