Nordic Area Conditions

37 messages Options
Hudsonhiker Hudsonhiker
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Nordic Area Conditions

Cross country skied Mt. Van Hoevernberg Wednesday with my daughter and grand kids. Homeschool gym class for them. Just plain great ski for me. The crisp blue sky, cool temps and packed powder on the 1st of April (not April fooling either). They had an orienteering type ski that I did with them to start it was just close in easy trails but fun. I think there were a couple kids trying skiing for the first time ever that was nice they seemed to do well. The ski area is just like alpine areas this time of year mid week deserted. The whole thing was groomed to world class cord and track set. I go x/c skiing all the time never ever in super conditions like that. I hadn’t been there in probably 20 years so I got a map and asked a nice gal from there to direct me to an hour tour that she thought would be good for me. She directed me to the East Mt. Loop. Great ski open woods through a sugarbush up to height of land then cruise down to the stadium area. I ended the day with another easy loop with the grand kids and a big smile on my face. I doubt if conditions have ever been better there.
Peter Minde Peter Minde
Reply |

Skied Prospect Mountain, 9 miles east of Bennington VT today, Easter Sunday April.  You know that it's spring, there's dirt in the snow.   But 100% coverage.  Awesome.  Come get some.
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

Skied at Lapland Lake today with the fam.  A few rough spots but generally good coverage, their entire trail system is open.  New owners are doing a good job, Olavi is still doing a significant amount of the grooming.  Saw him while we were out skiing and chatted for a couple minutes.  He's 85 now but could easily pass for 25 years younger, a real inspiration.
Peter Minde Peter Minde
Reply |

Skied Lapland on Sunday, 21 February.  Most of the trail system was open, two of the double black diamond climbs on Karhu Polku were closed.  There were sections with really good coverage mixed with really dirty sections.  A few ice patches and three exposed rocks.  More like spring conditions than winter.  Overall a good experience in this winter of our discontent.
Cadence Lodge Cadence Lodge
Reply |

Mt. Van Hoevenberg Keeping Hope Alive!

Mt. Van Hoevenberg Keeping Hope Alive!

Reopen to be Announced
Rain changing back to snow tomorrow night, look for a possible reopening for the
weekend! Public skiing at the jumps all day today, 9 am to 4 pm. Purchase a day
pass at the ticket booth, or show your season's pass please. Intermediate or better
skiing ability required - these are the trails that our World Cup biathlon team train
on!
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

Re: Mt. Van Hoevenberg Keeping Hope Alive!

The 4 inches that fell in Saratoga yesterday made for excellent XC conditions out the back door.  Beautiful snow, no annoying clumpage, great coverage.  Went out after work for about a 90 minute tour with the kids, got back home in the dark (we brought headlamps).  

It has stayed cold all day today, so I'll probably go out again this evening.  The fact that the best snow of the winter came on April 4 seems like a fitting, ironic ending to this lousiest of winters.
playoneontv playoneontv
Reply |

Re: Tri Lakes Nordic 11/23/16

Peter Minde Peter Minde
Reply |

Re: Tri Lakes Nordic 11/23/16

On Friday and Saturday I skied Mt van Hoevenberg.  Wet packed powder, as the temperature was above freezing, even at night.  Some great coverage and some thin spots.  It took us longer to descend Ladies 5 than it did to climb it, the downhill were really sketchy.  Apparently it was much better earlier in the week.

Scuttlebutt is that Prospect is the place with good coverage for now -
playoneontv playoneontv
Reply |

Re: Techno Alpin @ VanHo

Chris Chris
Reply |

Opdahl Farm- Gansevoort

Did some moonlight XC last night at Opdahl Farm in Gansevoort (Just off exit 16, Northway)

Headlamp only required 50% of the time.  

A few skiiers had been through already providing a nice clean, fast track to ski.  Found this place two autumns ago, wasn't able to ski it last year due to such low snow.  Excited to get back as it's only 5 minutes from home.

Lots of deer track, had a barn owl scare the hell out of me with his loud & long call.  Being out at night, in winter with a big moon at your back is a great thing.

Alpina Blazer toe is ripped up about 25% back-- had feet to close to a fire a couple years back and forgot to fix them.  Shoe Goo to be applied tonight.

Ain't snow grand?
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.