Nordic Area Conditions

37 messages Options
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Nordic Area Conditions

Mt. Van Hoevenberg Opens for Nordic Skiing

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. – Mt. Van Hoevenberg is open for cross country skiing, with day passes only $8. The mountain center will be open through Sunday, Nov. 23, and then re-open Friday, Nov. 28 (conditions and weather permitting). There are no rentals, food or merchandise being sold until the transition into fully-operational mode, but season passes are on sale now and are being sold at the mountain.

These world-class cross country ski trails range over 50 km of rolling Adirondack terrain. The following trails have been rolled and are setting up nicely: Beginner terrain - flatlander, bobcat, miniloop, campground, flatlander extension. More difficult - east Mt. cutoff, east hill. Expert - Ladies 5 inner and outer loops.

Season passes are on sale now, and prices will go up after December 1. Adults/$170, Teen/Senior/$135, junior/$95, 70+/$50 and children six and under are free. As an added bonus to get the whole family out enjoying the beautiful weather, when you buy two adult passes, all children in the family under 19 ski free.

New this season, the 12.5K Cross Country Ski Challenge is an abbreviated version of the rigorous 25K and 50K Loppet races traditionally held at Mt. Van Hoevenberg and is designed to be more suitable for the Nordic enthusiast. This event will be on Saturday, Feb. 28, at 1 p.m.

For more information, visit the Mt. Van Hoevenberg Facebook page.
"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Peter Minde Peter Minde
Reply |

Re: Nordic Area Conditions

Osceola XC in Camden NY on the Tug Hill Plateau has about 40 k of trails open., 30" of new snow.

Trap Family Lodge in Stowe to open tomorrow, 22 November, on ~ 3 km.  Craftsbury VT open with about 20 km.  Sounds like these have less base than van Ho or Osceola.  But don't quote me.  I'm homebound this weekend, this info is from the inter web.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Ski Day 4: Incredible conditions at Garnet Hill today.  12 inches of beautiful is enough to open a lot on the GHL trails.  15 or 20k (?I have no idea) of rolled terrain. More than we could ski after driving from the flatlands.

Zelda, Neve and I skied past this, but I circled back.

First slarve on liftline

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Michaeltokyo Michaeltokyo
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Went local today to Saratoga Spa SP to have the dog chase me on skis.  I avoided it yesterday because of the wet snow.  Figured an overnight freeze would fix it.  Still wet on the bottom today.  Ended up walking back on the road after a half mile of not being able to glide because of clumping on unwaxed skis.
OK. It's still November.
Maybe I'll visit Olavi over the weekend.  He says he got a foot on Wednesday.

Mike
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Olavi should be in good shape I'd think.

I'm poking around in the woods and finding it just a little to thin for my new Rossis.

Garnet Hill has a good amount of terrain and the snow is nice.
Peter Minde Peter Minde
Reply |

Mount van Hoevenberg, 12/29 and 12/30:  Surface ranged from frozen granular to hardpack.  Blue klister for kick = wicked fast conditions.  Most trails were open except for the upper section of Ladies' 5 and the far reaches of Porter Mountain.  On the trails that were open, there were bare spots here and there that you could navigate around.

There are flurries in the forecast the next few days, which would freshen things up.  But it's supposed to warm up again on the weekend.

Sorry, no photos.  Spent too much time skiing.
Peter Minde Peter Minde
Reply |

Prospect Mountain, Woodford VT, 3 January  2015.  About 15 k open, good fast skate conditions  - or blue blister for classic - on frozen granular.  There are some icy and dirty spots, and a couple of rocks that are easily avoided.  Overall quite nice considering the weather the last couple of weeks.

There's a new connector trail between Workout and Whistlepig, intended to be part of Williams College's race loop.  Nicely cut, and a lot of fun.

It appears that Prospect missed Saturday evening's rain down low and got a dusting of snow.  Hopefully they'll survive today's warm temperatures.
bob bob
Reply |

yo guys, both lapland and garnet hill are skiing GREAT currently and for the foreseeable future little to no ice or dirt. The backcountry trails around garnet hill are excellent no ice to speak of, a few downed trees but enough snow to give it a go. I can not speak for the steeper trails like the raymond brook run the snow depth may not be enough to ski out the steeper sections. One may find to much exposed rock. but with that said the more rolling terrain like the botheration pond trail run clock wise was a blast yesterday jan 14th. hey once again i am putting out a call for fellow backcountry skiers. i am not local so i am not tied into the groups of local skiers. and as we know going backcountry skiing by oneself is pretty stupid. i plan on being up in the southern adirondacks a few times a winter soooo if anyone is interested in skiing the backcountry let know. cheers and happy trails, bob
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Bob!  Thanks for that very precise and highly relevant (to me!) update.

Michaeltokyo Michaeltokyo
Reply |

For us Saratoga-Capital Region locals, I went for my usual dog walk at Saratoga State Park with my skis late this afternoon.  The golf course track was groomed this morning.  Very good conditions!  Plenty of skiable powder if you want to hit the walking trails as well!