OH (as in OMG) and 4

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OH (as in OMG) and 4

x10003q
It is hard to get on the coach when there are a huge number of injuries leading to a severe lack of talent on the field.
The GM might deserve your anger.

I would guess Cowher is done. There are rumors that he has turned down $10mil/year.

By the way, the Eagles are tied with Dallas for first at 2-3.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The G men did run the ball well but Da Bears DTs were an undersized DE and a guy they got off the street who was working in a Walmart two weeks ago

The bears are going to need to trade for a DT
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In fairness, after the first quarter, the play calling wasn't awful, however, they passed too much on first down, which kept putting them in bad situations, and the final interception was not a good play call. There was no reason to be throwing the ball that deep in that situation. They should have been concentrating on short gains that would lead them down the field, burning the clock as they went. Had they scored a TD, they would only have been up by 1, and given that Chicago was chewing up yards, they probably would have been able to get into FG range had they gotten the ball back.

As for the 1st quarter, the pick-6 occurred on my "favorite" KILLDRIVE play ... Empty backfield on 1st and 10 ... I wonder what the success rate is on that play for the Giants since they've been running it ... I'd have to guess about 10-20% ...

They should just hold up a sign on the sideline:

HELLO DEFENSE ... IT'S FIRST DOWN AND TEN, AND WE'LL BE PASSING, SO LINEBACKERS, SAFETIES, YOU CAN JUST GO AHEAD AND DROP INTO COVERAGE ... DEFENSIVE LINE, YOU CAN JUST PASS RUSH, NO NEED TO PROTECT AGAINST THE RUN!

What a genius!

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
You know a lot more about your Giants than I do but I don't see a particularly badly  coached team.  In fact they always seem coached up well for whoever their opponents are.  (You just KNOW they'll be ready for the Vikes their next game.  They always are at home.)  And really, even though you might be telegraphing pass with an empty backfield (on first or any other down) when you have a future HOFer under center and the receiving threats the Gmen have - who cares?

As a Viking fan I know what uncreative play calling looks like:  Run, Run, Pass, Punt.  Muskrat's such a tool.

Soldier field sucks!  Players have been slipping around on that greasy mess for years - even when it's dry.  I didn't watch much of the game last night but I saw enough to see Jacobs lose his footing at least once.  I friggin' hate that place!  And I wish somebody would figure out how to slow down Devin Hester short of cutting off his legs.  Sick of seeing the Vikes burned by that freak twice a year.  Heard he sprung a good one against the Gmen last night - go figure.

/end bitter Viking fan rant
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Very simple...the Gmen of my childhood are back...sad, very sad
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
i'm no genius but I don't understand when the running game and short slants are having some success why you would keep tossing it up and hoping for the best on the big play pass  fucking randle pissed me off too
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
You know a lot more about your Giants than I do but I don't see a particularly badly  coached team.  In fact they always seem coached up well for whoever their opponents are.  (You just KNOW they'll be ready for the Vikes their next game.  They always are at home.)  And really, even though you might be telegraphing pass with an empty backfield (on first or any other down) when you have a future HOFer under center and the receiving threats the Gmen have - who cares?

As a Viking fan I know what uncreative play calling looks like:  Run, Run, Pass, Punt.  Muskrat's such a tool.

Soldier field sucks!  Players have been slipping around on that greasy mess for years - even when it's dry.  I didn't watch much of the game last night but I saw enough to see Jacobs lose his footing at least once.  I friggin' hate that place!  And I wish somebody would figure out how to slow down Devin Hester short of cutting off his legs.  Sick of seeing the Vikes burned by that freak twice a year.  Heard he sprung a good one against the Gmen last night - go figure.

/end bitter Viking fan rant
I've got to disagree with you. The Giants have WAY too much talent to be performing the way they are. Compare them to Jacksonville, for example, there's no way the Giants should be in the "same boat" as a team like Jacksonville. When players aren't getting things done, it's usually because they're not getting the proper instruction and/or motivation they need.

And of course, a coaching change won't always fix things, but in the case of the Giants, I believe that's currently where the problem lies.

Look at Kansas City this season, look at Chicago, look at San Diego ... all teams that were not very good last year, but are doing MUCH better this year ... that's not to say that they're going to win the Super Bowl or anything, but the teams are performing at a higher level than they previously did, and for the most part, with the same players.

Look back to when Coughlin took over the Giants ... they were in the EXACT same situation as they are now ... good players performing horribly. Tiki Barber couldn't hold onto the ball if it had a handle ... you change the coaching, give him some different instruction and look what happened.

The Giants are simply due for a change ... that's all there is to it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
I hear what you're saying.  But how did Coughlin go from being a genius two years ago to such a dud now?  I think  a better example of the effect coaching can have on a team is the Saints, no?  (Bounty-gate gangsters.  How I hate them so!)

I refuse to say anything positive about the Bears.  If I did I'm pretty sure the oceans would begin to boil and the sun would explode.  Can't take that chance.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Noah John wrote
I hear what you're saying.  But how did Coughlin go from being a genius two years ago to such a dud now?  I think  a better example of the effect coaching can have on a team is the Saints, no?  (Bounty-gate gangsters.  How I hate them so!)
If you go back and look at some of my posts in the past, regarding the Giants, you'll find that I've never really believed that Coughlin was a great coach, and I certainly have NEVER said that KILLDRIVE is any good. HPD can probably back that up ... he and I have disagreed on this point for years!

Honestly, if they just got rid of KILLDRIVE, that would probably be enough, though I still think they need a change at the top, just to shake things up.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Yep I can confirm that Face really really has always disliked the G-men OC

My take on NYG is that right now they a bad mix of too old and too young personnel with a head coach that has gotten really old and is way out of touch with his players with perhaps the worst OC in the NFL now that Mike Martz is gone.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Coach Z wrote
Yep I can confirm that Face really really has always disliked the G-men OC

My take on NYG is that right now they a bad mix of too old and too young personnel with a head coach that has gotten really old and is way out of touch with his players with perhaps the worst OC in the NFL now that Mike Martz is gone.

I'd trade Muskrat for Killdrive any day.  Straight up.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote
I've got to disagree with you. The Giants have WAY too much talent to be performing the way they are. Compare them to Jacksonville, for example, there's no way the Giants should be in the "same boat" as a team like Jacksonville. When players aren't getting things done, it's usually because they're not getting the proper instruction and/or motivation they need.

And of course, a coaching change won't always fix things, but in the case of the Giants, I believe that's currently where the problem lies.

Look at Kansas City this season, look at Chicago, look at San Diego ... all teams that were not very good last year, but are doing MUCH better this year ... that's not to say that they're going to win the Super Bowl or anything, but the teams are performing at a higher level than they previously did, and for the most part, with the same players.

Look back to when Coughlin took over the Giants ... they were in the EXACT same situation as they are now ... good players performing horribly. Tiki Barber couldn't hold onto the ball if it had a handle ... you change the coaching, give him some different instruction and look what happened.

The Giants are simply due for a change ... that's all there is to it.
What talent?

The giants O-line got old and injured and is pretty bad right now.

The D-line is no better. It  is populated by two ex eagles - Jenkins is 32 and Mike Patteson is 30 and the stinky Eagles released both in the offseason. JPP is still recovering, Tuck is 30 and now that JPP is not what he was Tuck gets more attention. Joseph is ok, but no allstar. The linebackers are average at best and the secondary is ok, but there is not enough pass rush which ultimately makes your secondary look good. Those Super Bowl teams had top talent on the D-line and O-line.

On top of this the Giants do not have a front line running back. This allows the the d to focus on getting to Eli. The Eagles d line is not good and they are now running a 3-4 with normal pass rushers playing LB and they still forced Eli to have 3 intentional groundings.

Eli can still do the job and he has decent recvrs, but w/o the a decent o-line and d-line the giants are where they are.

This is on the GM.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
At the beginning of this season I was saying the Vikings would build on their 10-6 performance last year and be a force to be reckoned with.  

I actually said that.  Out loud.  To people.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Noah John wrote
At the beginning of this season I was saying the Vikings would build on their 10-6 performance last year and be a force to be reckoned with.  

I actually said that.  Out loud.  To people.
Yeah ... they looked pretty bad, though the Giants are certainly not much better at all. And at this point, I will have to reign in some of my criticism of the Giants coaches, given the degree of injuries they've sustained, however, that doesn't change my opinion of their coaching ability ... and no matter what, KILLDRIVE still sucks, will always suck and has always sucked!

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
What were the Vikings thinking?  They paid that bum 3 million
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
For those who still think Coughlin and KILLDRIVE are good coaches, just consider ONE play in today's game against Philadelphia ...

With 3:54 remaining in the game, and an 8 point lead, you're faced with a 3rd and 2. If you get the first down, you pretty much have the game in hand ... you get into the huddle, and don't break the huddle until there's only 8 seconds to go on the play clock. You get to the line and boom ... delay of game!!!

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!

Was ANYONE watching the clock on the Giants sideline? Coaches CAN call timeout last I checked!

Stop with the excuses about injuries, the offensive line, etc, etc, etc ... This is a HORRIBLY coached team that is in DESPERATE need of a new coaching staff. Unfortunately for Giants fans, the rest of the NFC East is equally pathetic, so Couglin will end up getting 6 wins and he and KILLDRIVE will keep their jobs, leaving Giants fans to have to put up with their ineptitude for yet another season.

Go Broncos!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John

Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Well, skiing is in the crapper this weekend and for the next few days, but at least I can stay home today and enjoy the Giants on their playoff run ... oh crap ... never mind.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
I guess it's a Merry Christmas for Giants fans after all!!!!

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Kevin-Gilbride-announces-retirement-/39f3eaa8-3858-4d4e-8977-59fcaed839e3