classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
51 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Opinions on Blizzard Quattro 8.4 Ti?

BMK10
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for some new skis and the Blizzard Quattro 8.4Ti has my attention.

I found them online for $550 and they come with marker Xcell 12 bindings.

Does anyone have any opinions about this set up? I've read some great reviews about the skis but I'm not finding a lot of information on the bindings. I noticed the bindings are DIN 4-12, does that mean they can be adjusted for typical trail riding?
I've been skiing since I was 7 years old and am now 24. If I had to classify myself I would say I fall somewhere in the advanced level which is why I'm looking to upgrade to these.

Last, I'm about 5'10" 180lbs so I was thinking around 174 cm would be ideal for me.. the next size they offer is 181cm but I'm afraid that may be too long.

Any help would be awesome!
Brad
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Opinions on Blizzard Quattro 8.4 Ti?

Z
I'm a Volkl / Marker Pro rep so I can't tell you much about the ski but can on the binding.

This is a system binding meaning that you only can use that binding on this ski.  Its a lower end version of Marker's X-cell race binding.  In Volkl's own skis at this width they use the Modified system version of the Royal family's Griffon.  It has a better set up for use with wider skis which is why they reserve it for their own ski family.

If you are looking for a ski in the 84mm width I'd also highly recommend the Volks RTM84.  I'm on my second pair of these I like them so much.  They are my everyday Whiteface ski and do everything well.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by BMK10
BMK10 wrote
I noticed the bindings are DIN 4-12, does that mean they can be adjusted for typical trail riding?

Last, I'm about 5'10" 180lbs so I was thinking around 174 cm would be ideal for me.. the next size they offer is 181cm but I'm afraid that may be too long.
Yes, the DIN (German acronym) is adjustable and is set based on your ability, weight, etc. and is set when the techs mount the bindings.  Your DIN is probably about a 6, but I'm not a tech.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I don't like System skis.

What did you do, quick Google search? Skis.com?

I think there are better skis out there, better deals out there, and better ideas out there if you're looking to "upgrade".

What are you planning to ski? Almost exclusively groomers?

Get some fun skis, man. Life is too short for boring frontside carvers.
Reply | Threaded
|

BMK10
In reply to this post by Z
Hey thanks for the response.
 I took a look at the RTM84's and wow those are sweet! however they may be a little out of my my price range. I was hoping to keep the skis and bindings right around $500.
Then again I do want to make a decent investment since I will probably have these for several seasons.
I guess what I'm asking is if this Xcell 12 binding is a piece of junk or not. Most of my skiing is done on groomed trails with occasional powder play.
Z wrote

This is a system binding meaning that you only can use that binding on this ski.  Its a lower end version of Marker's X-cell race binding.  In Volkl's own skis at this width they use the Modified system version of the Royal family's Griffon.  It has a better set up for use with wider skis which is why they reserve it for their own ski family.

If you are looking for a ski in the 84mm width I'd also highly recommend the Volks RTM84.  I'm on my second pair of these I like them so much.  They are my everyday Whiteface ski and do everything well.
Reply | Threaded
|

BMK10
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Would you mind explaining why you don't like system skis? What other kinds of skis are there that would be a better option?
Like I said before most of my skiing is downhill carving on groomed trails.
I'm really just looking for a new ski with some sharp edges that will let me carve hard and go fast, bottom line haha because the ones I have now are worn pretty good.

and yes here is the link I found the skis on..
https://www.skis.com/Blizzard-Quattro-8.4-Ti-Skis-with-Xcell-12-Bindings/429531P,default,pd.html

Thanks a lot.
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I don't like System skis.

What did you do, quick Google search? Skis.com?

I think there are better skis out there, better deals out there, and better ideas out there if you're looking to "upgrade".

What are you planning to ski? Almost exclusively groomers?

Get some fun skis, man. Life is too short for boring frontside carvers.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Bro,  you would be AOK on that setup for the type of skiing you listed.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
BMK10 wrote
Hey thanks for the response.
 I took a look at the RTM84's and wow those are sweet! however they may be a little out of my my price range. I was hoping to keep the skis and bindings right around $500.
MC will likely have more detail but system bindings are heavy and can't be moved to a new pair of skis.

If you are shopping online, take a look at some of the packages on Evo. Sort by skis > packages > men's > Highest Rating and you will see some interesting stuff. Like this, Volkl RTM 81 with bindings for $503.47, this week only. 170 cm though.

A friend of mine who likes to carve really likes the Head Supershape, they don't seem to be on sale though.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
BMK10 wrote
Would you mind explaining why you don't like system skis? What other kinds of skis are there that would be a better option?
I have broken 3 pairs of system skis in weird ways (usually shitty plastic pieces in important areas that render the bindings unusable).

I now prefer flat skis that I can just put bindings on.

For your intended purpose, though, Scotty is right, that ski is fine. I'd check evo.com & some other sites first before pulling the trigger.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote

If you are shopping online, take a look at some of the packages on Evo..
Haha, same thought.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Agreed about EVO and other websites. (And about system skis. I only buy flat, these days).  Also, IMHO, if you want a really good deal, see if you can find and buy new old stock... something 2 or even 3 years old will be discounted and not much will change in 2-3 years.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Back to my previous point.  If you get a system binding ski from a Ski mfr that does not make thier own bindings you don’t get the top technology as that would be reserved for thier ski partner brand.   as  Marker is the top binding company Volkl gets thier best binding designs.  

Flat skis are really only offered in race skis of fat skis over 90 mm in the waist.  For what you described you want you are going to end up getting a system ski becuase that is pretty much the only choice from any major mfr.  They also make it easy to share your skis with others and sell them later as they will fit any size boot without needing a remount.
Reply | Threaded
|

BMK10
I may throw you guys a curve ball with this statement but do any of you ski twin tips? Like I said a lot of my time is spent downhill carving at fast speeds but that being said I don't mind spending some time in the park. I'm really nothing special at rails or jumps but I still just enjoy kind of "ditch-banging" around the mountain.

MC, I'm assuming thats what you meant earlier when you said buy a ski thats more on the fun side? Not to mention I love the look of a lot of the twin tips. I guess my problem is I don't know enough about them and I'd hate to spend $500 or more and have them not perform well, or at least decent for carving.

What about something like the voklk karma twin tips? I'm assuming if I went the twin tip route I'd want something with a narrower waste and tighter turn radius to maintain a decent edge for carving?

Thanks dudes, I appreciate the advice.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Funny you should ask that!

You see, last year I dared to suggest something outside of the box in response to a post just like your original question, and somebody tore me a new one.  Even though that recommendation checked all the boxes for what the poster said they were looking for, it didn’t fit the profile of the 80something mm waisted carving ski the poster had originally inquired about.  That somebody told me this.....

MC2 5678F589 wrote
Come on, man. Listen to what the guy wants.
Advice I considered throwing right back at him when he tried to turn you off of the system carver you asked about.

But I digress!

If you are not tied to an 84mm waist, and you want something that likes to charge fast, that carves well in all conditions, something that was designed by the ultimate jibmaster and is not only a twin tip that is comfortable in the park but a ski which is actually designed to turn the entire mountain into your own ditch banging playground, on top of being a wider waisted ski that floats well in powder, blasts through crud, AND whose swing weight makes it nimble in the bumps and trees......check out the K2 Marksman.  It’s the most versatile, fun ski I’ve ever owned, and it happens to be a “fat” ski (106mm under foot) that carves better than any narrower ski I’ve recently owned.  Much of its versatility and carving ability is thanks to its asymmetric sidecut, but don’t worry....the edges (you can’t switch skis from one foot to the other) have proven to stand up to a decent amount of park use.

Check out the reviews, demo them if you can.  Even though your initial inquiry was about an 84mm waisted carver, this might be a ski you really like.  I do, and I can attest to the fact that it lays down rails!  Sorry I didn’t mention it sooner, but I get tired of a certain someone giving me shit every time I open my mouth, about anything.....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
My input is that twin tips are not designed for carving performance.  They have to be built to sustain repeated impacts and pounding of the park.  These are not performance related skis because that is not their intended mission.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Twin tips are for going backwards.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
What Z-TJF said....
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

BMK10
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
I'm glad you brought up the K2 Marksman, I talked to a friend last night who told me he has the same skis and highly recommends them or a similar twin tip.

I guess I always had the wrong idea about fatter skis because I just assumed they wouldn't turn well and not be as fast.

I'd love to demo them but I'm not seeing any demo's at my local mountains.
I'll keep my opens though and keep reading some reviews.
JTG4eva! wrote

If you are not tied to an 84mm waist, and you want something that likes to charge fast, that carves well in all conditions, something that was designed by the ultimate jibmaster and is not only a twin tip that is comfortable in the park but a ski which is actually designed to turn the entire mountain into your own ditch banging playground, on top of being a wider waisted ski that floats well in powder, blasts through crud, AND whose swing weight makes it nimble in the bumps and trees......check out the K2 Marksman.  It’s the most versatile, fun ski I’ve ever owned, and it happens to be a “fat” ski (106mm under foot) that carves better than any narrower ski I’ve recently owned.  Much of its versatility and carving ability is thanks to its asymmetric sidecut, but don’t worry....the edges (you can’t switch skis from one foot to the other) have proven to stand up to a decent amount of park use.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Eh!  When you turn the whole mountain into a terrain park the twin tips make getting into and out of certain turns pretty easy, fun!  There are a lot of fun skis out there, outside of traditional carvers, that carve pretty damn well, and do lots of other shit.  Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.  Z is a racer/teacher.  SJ....I guarantee you’d have a ball on the Marksman, twin tip and all.  TJ, too.  I’m skiing 10.5 boots.  If the size matches bring your touring shit next time we meet up at WF and try them out!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
F’ the naysayers.... the Marksman kick ass.  Gonna go get them out of the shop and put the El Capo in for a tune.

Time to swap the sole blocks!