332 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PNW Conditions

nepa
JTG4eva! wrote
That said, if I go PNW in 3 weeks it probably does make sense to keep it to the Crystal environs, as the added elevation there can squeeze out the extra degree or two to make the powder a little better.  Still, I'd be happy with fresh Cascade Concrete!
Ya JTG... the elevation is key... up high, it's still pretty reliable... about 1500 feet higher over at White Pass, the horseshit from yesterday transformed into Gold today.  We skied cold, dry, boot deep pow most of the day via easily accessible side country lines.  Another 4 to 6 on the way tonight.  More coming midweek.  March is off to a good start.

Lean on pix, my phone shit the bed early.

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
That said, if I go PNW in 3 weeks
Can you get here this week?  

There looks to be some potential Epicness
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
March Madness is full effect.

Now is the time.  The time is now.  Headed to Stevens tomorrow.  Hopefully it stays cold.  This time of year can be a crapshoot.  Looks like  a bit of a warming trend on the horizon.  

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Daughter is home on spring break, we are headed up to Whiteface Friday morning....so I'll leave the epic-ness to your enjoyment this weekend and hope the cold holds until the weekend of the 25th/26th.  We can always change it up if conditions out there or elsewhere dictate, but right now my brother and I are booked for Crystal.  New powder would be nice, but if it warms and we get spring-y conditions on all that base there will be tons of fun to be had inbounds and in the backcountry.  Dirtbag Ball is that Saturday....biggest party of the season at Crystal, I hear it's insane.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
nepa......not feeling too good about the PNW prospects for the weekend of the 25th.  Return to colder weather but no appreciable new snow.  Fast and firm groomers isn't what I want to go West for!  How do you see things shaping up out there?
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
If I were you, I would goto Tahoe... we've seen more Spring than Winter over the past 2 weeks... still plenty of snow, but your Pow chances appear to be slim.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
It's getting good up here again.  Some pass level snow in the forecast for next week... no big numbers, but at this time of year, anything is possible.

Nice late season pow day at the Ridge.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Go north!

Up around Baker it's spectacular, deep conditions, both in bounds...

....and beyond.

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This post was updated on .
Holding up quite well... Cool mornings with warm afternoons makes for a healthy corn cycle.  Mission's last day for lift service is April 30th... I just booked a trip to Banff for the 3rd week in April... Lake Louise has committed to spinning lifts until May 21st... I suspect there will be a few others out here that will go well into May.

The 04/01 snow dip shows average to above average across the region

The wider map looks pretty good too

There's still a ton of snow out here... It goes without saying...It aint over yet!!

Looking North (Cascades as the backdrop) at Bowl 5 from Lemolo

Late afternoon carvable crust under chair 3

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This post was updated on .
Undoubtedly, the best of my seven seasons at Mission Ridge.  We closed out lift service today with the latest closing date in our 50 year history.  Coverage was wall to wall... heck I think we could go until the end of May with T2B very easily.

There is one weekend of lift service left in WA state... Alpental will close it out next weekend.  South of our border, Batchy  will continue lift service until late May and there will be lift service on Palmer at Timberline through the summer.  I heard Squaw and Alpine, down in the Sierra, were going until 4th of July.  If you're Jonesin for snow, Summer turns can always be found somewhere in the Cascades.

Pics from closing weekend at Mission

Heading over to Microwave Ridge

North up the Columbia

Bowl 5 & Bomber Cliffs

Afternoon corn harvest in the Outback

On the porch @ Midway

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
you picked a good year to retire...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
JasonWx wrote
you picked a good year to retire...

Best season in my 38 years on snow!!
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
It's been a big year at Washington Pass...

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I hope that guy and the photographer have avalanche beacons.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
nepa.......looks like you have some May powder turns headed your way!
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
JTG4eva! wrote
nepa.......looks like you have some May powder turns headed your way!
Should be really nice at Paradise... there appears to be well over 10 ft of snow @5400 ft... you can skin from the car.

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Nepa's vid of the day made me want to check conditions.  This is from Mammoth Mountain's site today, 3 August 2017:

MM is open through this weekend.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Nice write up in Backcountry about WA state hut system efforts... Mike Rolfs is my neighbor.

http://http://backcountrymagazine.com/stories/washington-based-group-dreams-creating-hut-system-will-bureaucracy-get-best/
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
My old lady saw some snow on her way to Seattle this morning.... a few inches at pass level.... up to a foot above 6k.  They're running Pucci's @Timberline today... an early start in the PNW.

1 ... 45678910 ... 17