Plattekill 3-18-2017 Happy St. Platty's Day!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill 3-18-2017 Happy St. Platty's Day!

Junior

Today we got a late start for St Platty's day at Plattekill. We got there at about 10. When we Arrived we were forced to park deep in the lower lot, the furthest we've ever parked from the lodge. We went to the lodge and booted up there.

When we finally started skiing we started on the triple and skied down chute. My dad fell and I finally got a picture of it. When he fell I was very excited and started yelling "Brownski is down ski". The snow on chute was very bumpy and rough. On our next run we tried one of the bike paths off of Face. This time we both fell. After that we decided to start skiing on the double instead. We skied over there, hitting freefall, north face, and outlook a few times before heading in for lunch. The inside of the lodge was packed so we got our food and went outside to eat instead.

After lunch we both went back out to the double. We skied bumps, switchback, and freefall all in the same run. We got some good runs on north face and plunge after that. My dad skied ridge run and told me to take cat track. He expected to meet me after they intersected but I ended up taking cat tracks past ridge run all the way to north face and skied that all the way down. We met back up at the lift.

Near the end of the day we met up with The Hof on the liftline. We knew he was skiing at Platty and had been looking out for him but there are so many people in blue jackets and black helmets that we had given up. We just happened to get on line behind him and I recognized him from the workday we attended last fall. On our last runs we took a series of blue trails past ridge run. I fell twice and we decided that it was just a falling-down-kind-of-day but overall it was great. The snow was good on most trails but with just a few small exposed rocks in places. Towards the end of the day if started snowing. Hopefully they get a lot.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill 3-18-2017 Happy St. Platty's Day!

onscott
Great report and pics!  Glad to see that the snow is holding up at Plattekill...maybe a few more weeks are in store.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Very nice to see you guys again. I had two newbies with me that original wanted to go to Bell. Well I talked them into Platty and they Will never look back.  Resistance is futile. They both loved it. Conditions as you know are wonderful.We didn't last much longer after we saw you. My legs were toast. Looks like it will last another couple of weeks. What a godsend Stella was.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Brownski is down ski!  Love it!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Lateski
In reply to this post by Junior
Why do our kids find it so enjoyable when we fall?  My daughter cracks up whenever I take a tumble.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Junior
Lateski wrote
Why do our kids find it so enjoyable when we fall?  My daughter cracks up whenever I take a tumble.
1. It's a rare occurrence
2. It rhymes
3. He's gotten to see me fall enough times
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
I used to take my gal's niece skiing when she was in grade school. At Face, we'd be on the lift and the snow tribe would come bouncing down the hill sledding on their snow shovels, looking kinda like Keystone cops. She would laugh and laugh and laugh. It was funny.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Junior
The rhyming is key.  

Also it reminds of Howard Cosell in that classic Frazier/Ali fight:

"DOWN GOES FRAZIER!!  DOWN GOES FRAZIER!! THE CHAMP IS DOWN!!

Still gives me chills.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Snowballs
That's funny. Shovel riding is such a blast. One of my fondest memories of working at killington was zipping down the bottom of superstar on a shovel. I had already moved to another department but they decided to fire up the guns again in late march so they borrowed me back for a couple days to help dig out the guns. Those guys had a lot of fun on the job. About halfway down they slipped into the trees to "take a break" in a snow cave they had dug back there. Once we had gotten a bunch of hydrants, hoses etc dug out and it was time to head in we sat on our shovels and straight lined the bottom-accidentally went right past a couple of supervisors. Of course they have rules against things like that. One of them was like "if you tear those pants you gotta pay for 'em"  but I was wearing my own pants and it was late March so I figured our seasonal layoffs were coming soon anyway. What really impressed me were the guys that could boot-ski long distances. I could go maybe ten or twenty yards at a clip and I would either fall or have to run a few steps to kind of reset.
Of course Junior tried shovel-riding when we went up to Harriman park last time but the snow was too deep and the hill really wasn't steep enough. You need a decent amount of gravity to really get a shovel moving.
Fun memories
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Ha! Does that make me Ali? I like that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Brownski
Cool tale Brownski ! Once we were heading down from LWF summit to where it meets Paron's. Snowtribe came down Paron's on shovels bouncing along fast. Coming in hot. Lead shovel rider pull up quickly to stop realizing he missed his spot, he wiped out and this caused all his followers to do the same. It was like a train wreck. People tumbling everywhere, shovels flying, snow flying and tribe sliding on down needing to kinda self-arrest a stop. Yard sale ! So funny ! Hehehehe.

I imagine it set to the music from the Wizard of Oz where the old Lady on the bike takes Toto. They got around pretty good on those shovels.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ridgerun
In reply to this post by Brownski
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I love it. That guy has good form- extra points for one handing it
Reply | Threaded
|

Junior
In reply to this post by Ridgerun
One day....
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
that second pic is awesome!