Thehof
It's something!
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

Johnnyonthespot
Platty will be open on Friday with the beginner area and tubing.

http://http://plattekill.com/mountain-info/trail-report-weather
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
As Johnny has pointed out Plattekill is open with the Beginner Learning Center and the Tubing Park.

I spoke to Laz about what to expect by next Friday:

"We are planning on Sundown, Upper and Lower Face, Powder Puff, Mozzarella, Bunny Hop and Tubing, weather permitting."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Progress on Face:

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
A shame that Sunday will push 50 degrees with a lot of rain.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Plattekill had one way down from the top Sundown to Lower Face.  They certainly were't stopping anyone from dropping in on Upper Face, which Sean and I did at the start, but the snow was so good on the main run down that we stayed there.

Snow was carveable, and the groomer left a swath of never-groomed down skiers left on Sundown that was hoot worthy.  I looked through 200 pics and I didn't even has one shot of Sundown, couldn't bring myself to pull up there I guess.

Too few of us there.

Great day.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
In reply to this post by Harvey
40/ flex tickets for this sunday for Platty good deal double chair opening Friday. I bet powder lines will be around.  https://www.potterbrothers.com/shop/plattekill-mountain-flex-ticket-sunday-845-415pm/
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
I've never seen this happen,but does anyone know if they stop the chairs for high winds at Platty. What speed ?  The chairs are on the low side with trees. Just wondering cause i'am planning on going tomorrow if a can get "permission " from Coumo to drive on his roads.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof

This really blows
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
Skied Platt Jan 28. Conditions are good , decent coverage. One good snowfall could bring the woods in play as there is a solid coating of coral reef.Blockbuster
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
scottski63 wrote
Blockbuster
Yummy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
The guns went off at about 10:30-11 on Saturday morning and Blockbuster was just Deeee-licious all weekend long. This pic does not do the trail justice in terms of steepness or the size of the whales. Plus, I had the benefit of skiing with Ethan and Laz on the same run!! Nice to have finally met you, Ethan.

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Was there today; lots of good stuff, some hard crust. Blockbuster was great but I'm not sure I left much for the rest of you. They were running the guns on Face; lots of soft, high quality snow under the guns all day long. The trees were not in play at all. Blockbuster was accessible from the double but I ended up taking my skis off for a short walk over some rocks at the end of Just Do It.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow

Plattekill is gearing up for an amazing week., Today they did something a little out of the ordinary. Snce there is no snow on Buckle Up to access Blockbuster, they decided to run hoses to it and make snow. Yesterday I saw they placed a few guns on each end of the trail, and we're hoping to push the snow down from each end and meet in the middle. That didn't quite happen.

To finish the trail, they would have to run a LOT of hose and they did. The nearest hydrant was located about half way down Sundown, and on skiers left. That meant running a hose across the most traveled trail. That wasn't going to l stop them. The solution is simple. Burry it.

They really did run a lot of hose. I'm guessing probably 1000 feet or so. They split it off into two guns to maximize productivity. There were guns running all over the right side of the mountain.

Anyway, there is tons of snow on the mountain now, and it's in great shape. Come ski Blockbuster, and enjoy the fruits of the Snowmakers labor.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Wow, they really don't screw around in the snowmaking department.  Love to see that kind of dedication.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
snoloco wrote
Wow, they really don't screw around in the snowmaking department.  Love to see that kind of dedication.
Truth be told......I saw Sno was posting in a Plattekill conditions thread whilst he is at K town....I'm thinking 'why the F is Sno posting in a Plattekill conditions thread', but I have to say.........

I agree!  Great observation.  Plattekill kicks ass.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by snoloco
Sno, they really are beefing up the Snowmaking department at Plattekill. Its come a long way in the last few years. And it gets a little better each year!
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day