classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill, NY: 1-11-2015

x10003q
This post was updated on .
Sunday was my first trip to Plattekill this season. I was joined by my son on winter break from college. I am always happy to be skiing with my long time ski buddy. When we got to the mountain it was about 10 degrees and cloudy with no sign of the predicted sun. The light was flat.

The wonderful view as we boot up  - snowmaking running on Plunge and Giant Slalom

There is a lot more permanent snowmaking lining the trails and slopes at Plattekill now. The conditions reflect this as the snowmaking trails have deep, full width coverage.

Blockbuster was covered with whales and they were still blowing snow at the bottom of Blockbuster

Snow cannons line Lower Face

My son trying to figure out his new skis

I actually think Bearpen is in the distance in this shot

The Learning Area with new guns

The skiing was excellent. There was a lot of powder over hard pack. It started to lightly snow - but it did not last

The views from the top are always amazing

Blockbuster

Looking for Bearpen

We did lots of high speed cruising on Northface

Mystery or not?

We had another wonderful day at Plattekill.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill, NY: 1-11-2015

Skiray
Looks like you had the place to yourselves.  So hard to think and so close to NYC.

Nice shots.
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by x10003q
Come clean what are we seeing in that last shot!

The progress on snowmaking is really significant.  I don't think I've seen Plattekill blowing on two trails at once in the past.

It takes stones to do what L+D do.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
The whales on Block were 20-30 feet, easy.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

The progress on snowmaking is really significant.  I don't think I've seen Plattekill blowing on two trails at once in the past.

The last shot is Highmount.

All that new snowmaking makes a huge difference vs recent history. As long as it is cold the conditions will be top notch. There is just not enough traffic to make it "scrapey".
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
x10003q wrote
Harvey wrote

The last shot is Highmount.
You can see the Deer Run trail at Belleayre in that picture too.  You can see how close they are to each other.  Connecting the two areas and revitalizing Highmont would be cool. Just not sure all that development planned along with it makes much sense.  
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q

I took this shot of the top station of the Highmount chair from Deer Run at Belleayre. It was maybe 100 feet from the trail.
Reply | Threaded
|

patchrick09
Highmounts a great spot to ski, whenever there is decent coverage I sneak over there from deer run. The brush is a little thick up top but once you get past it its a nice run, I dont have any of the pictures i took from inside the lodge there but i do have these from February 2013.