Plattekill NY 1-11-2020

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plattekill NY 1-11-2020

Brownski
There’s no sugar coating it. Plattekill has been hit hard by the crappy weather.

It didn’t hold me back but I did make sure the old rock skis were in the truck.

There wasn’t much open but the diehards came out

I always chuckle when I see the kid-with-a-shovel go by. There’s lots of that at Plattekill.

Of course yesterday was the annual NYSB meeting so I got to meet lots of guys I only knew from the forum (Rob, Miskier, Jef...)  and say hi to a couple I already met.

Mandatory lunch pic. Chili from the upstairs bistro and Keegan Ales Mother’s Milk Stout.

At lunch Harv was all like, “ let’s hike over to North Face. I heard it’s good.” I normally will walk across for Blockbuster but not North Face but then I was like “yeah, ok”. I had layered with warm rain in mind so I did get a little bit of a sweat going once we hit the uphill part. Of course, we lingered a bit to cool off and enjoy the view.

And check Insta

Bearpen in the distance.

The Whales were the best snow I skied all day. It was worth the walk.

I was thinking I’d just take a couple laid back cruiser runs after that but when one of the guys we’d met at lunch heard that he proposed a “Chinese downhill”. So yeah, a bunch of middle-aged dudes raced each other down Powderpuff. I would have won too (most of my competition was on boards or tele gear) but I slowed down as I approached some little girls and their mom going slow. Jeff was more hard core then me and zipped right past the beginners and I took second. I had to be home early to go to a high school play so I didn’t hang around for the apres festivities but maybe somebody else can fill in those details....

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill NY 1-11-2020

Harvey
Administrator
I had a lot of fun. Thank you to everyone who came out:

Jamesdeluxe
Jeff Soule
MiSkier
Storm Skiing Stu
Skiology Matt
Robert
Ethan Snow
MC was there

and of course...

Brownski

Who else?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
I had a great time even with so so snow and limited terrain. Looking forward to next year
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I had a lot of fun. Thank you to everyone who came out:

Jamesdeluxe
Jeff Soule
MiSkier
Storm Skiing Stu
Skiology Matt
Robert
Ethan Snow
MC was there

and of course...

Brownski

Who else?
Me, but I didnt get to take any tuns  with you all. I also think you guys have been kind to the conditions. Let's hope the weather makes a turn for the better...cold and snowy! Pray to Ullr.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I was wondering where you were Marcki. I managed not to meet Jamesdeluxe and much of the rest of that list somehow also so I’m obviously not very good at this networking thing. Hope we bump into each other next time, hopefully after it snows.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Marcski
Hahaha Marcski... I was thinking of people who would be there otherwise!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
I've been to several Plattekill Harv birthdays in the past; however, I never realized that he not only buys NYSB people a beer, but anyone in the bar who asks for one -- very generous!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
Marcski wrote
I also think you guys have been kind to the conditions.
NYSBers in general, led by our webmaster, tend to be glass-half-full about conditions and that's cool to make lemonade out of lemons; however, Brownski's first sentence above was accurate as was mine from the conditions thread:
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Yesterday was the skiing version of going to the gym to work out
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Marcski wrote
I also think you guys have been kind to the conditions.
Brownski used the word crappy with regard to the weather.  

Somewhere I think I said scrapey, maybe it was in the NYSB Meeting Notes to be publishing at 9am.

Could be time for this, once again:

https://nyskiblog.com/harveys-disclaimer/

Pic from Robert, me on Northface:

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
I've been to several Plattekill Harv birthdays in the past; however, I never realized that he not only buys NYSB people a beer, but anyone in the bar who asks for one -- very generous!
It is supposed to be for anyone with a day ticket. But I don't like to discriminate against passholders, patrol and lifties.

The idea is to encourage people to come out. That's why I didn't mention Marcski or Ro or many others, they are they every day.  Very cool of course but not incremental revenue driven by NYSB.

The best part is people I don't coming up to me with big smile and shaking my hand and introducing themselves. Some know NYSB and make the connection, some don't.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Glad you guys had a great day, looks fun!

You can ask any of the A18 Gang and they will tell you one of our best days skiing was in the rain and fog, on a goat path of a trail, basically one way down. We too had a chinese downhill, and there was carnage, but that was drowned out by the laughter.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by Harvey
Happy Birthday Harv!  Great trip report Brownski!