Roller Coaster Thread

36 messages Options
Brownski Brownski
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Roller Coaster Thread

Any roller coaster fans here? Up until a couple years I could take 'em or leave 'em but then junior got obsessed some how, so this is really his thread. These are from our first Great Adventure visit of the year, last month.

This is El Toro, a nice old fashioned wooden coaster, but on steroids. The first hill is 76 degrees- may as well be 90 when you're looking down from the first car. This is junior's and my favorite. The key to getting a scaredy cat on this is to go first thing in the morning when there's no line. It goes by the waiting area at 70 mph, which is pretty scary. We got my wife and younger son on it this way, which turned out to be pretty amusing.

Superman tilts you forward before it starts (supposed to make you feel like you're flying). I don't really like this gimmicky crap but junior likes this one. It's way better then Green Lantern at least, which is a stand-up coaster and ends up being a ball-crusher most of the time.

Batman and Nitro . I swear to god I grayed out a little the first time I rode Nitro, on its last 180 degree turn. According to Wikipedia it does 4.3 Gs. That thing is sick.

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

Re: Roller Coaster Thread

I'm a season passholder there.  I always arrive early and get as many rides in as possible before the lines start to build.  My favorites are Nitro, El Toro, and Bizarro.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Hey Sno, have you been to many places other then Great Adventure? There aren't as many big coasters but Six Flags New England and Great Escape both have some gems as well.
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

I've also been to Coney Island, Great Escape, Dorney Park, and Lake Compounce.

The best coaster at Coney Island is The Cyclone, best at Great Escape is The Comet, best at Dorney Park is Talon, and best at Lake Compounce is Boulder Dash.

I think The Cyclone is like one of the most iconic roller coasters out there, I mean it's on the National Register of Historic Places.  It's a wooden coaster in a triple out and back layout (it loops around itself 3 times).  It was built using this compact layout because it is in NYC and space is always at a premium there.

The Comet is also a wooden coaster, which utilizes a double out and back layout that is more spread out than The Cyclone.  For this reason, it achieves a slightly higher speed, but isn't quite as forceful.  Although different, it's a very fun ride.

Talon is a steel inverted coaster (same as Batman at Great Adventure) in a twisting layout.  Unlike an out and back layout, it doesn't follow a predictable path one or multiple times, and instead loops in and out of itself in many ways.  Talon is somewhat similar to Batman, but is taller, faster, but with one less inversion.  It's also less forceful than Batman.  One added note is that more often than not, steel coasters use a twisting layout and wooden coasters use an out and back layout.  There are exceptions of course.

Boulder Dash is a wooden coaster built into the side of a mountain.  It follows the natural contours of the land and for that reason is called a terrain coaster.  Minimal tree removal was done around it, so when you are riding, you're having close calls with trees the entire way.  It uses a single out and back layout, going out to one location and then back, not looping around again.    
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Junior Junior
Reply |

Go on El Toro and Nitro, they're the best.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Harvey Harvey
Reply |

El Toro may be in the running for the Official Coaster of NYSB.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

elToro is pretty cool, even though it's in Jersey
JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |

Love wooden coasters!  El Toro is good.  Hershey has some really good wooden coasters.

Now, while it's not the tallest, steepest, fastest wooden coaster.....this would be a perfect choice for the official coaster of the NYSB!

https://youtu.be/B0pF75xFPqs

A fun wooden coaster, built into the side of a mountain.  What could be better?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!