Open this post in threaded view

Rollins Pond: loons, eagles and lots of stars

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Re: Rollins Pond: loons, eagles and lots of stars

Looks like a lot of fun. Don't be embarrassed by the flotilla. You can never have too many options
Turd Ferguson Turd Ferguson
Reply |

Thanks for posting the pictures, it brings back a lot of memories.  We went camping at Rollins Pond one or two times every year from when I started walking, to mid-teens.  Coincidentally, so did my wife, although we don't recall ever having crossed paths there.  Canoeing through the 'special waters' spot from Rollins Pond to Fish Creek was always the highlight.
Hoser Hoser
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
Very cool report and looks like a great time. I need to explore that area of the park more.  Starting to see more eagles, beginning about 3 or 4 years ago, around the Piseco area while paddling, as well as multiple places on the West Canada here in the SW corner of the park.  Even one sitting on the Hinkley Dam every so often.  3 or 4 in that area of the reservoir, in the trees.
warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |

Nice photo essay , we too are seeing eagles along the St Lawrence , but our new big residents are the ospreys which are now coming back to the region . Their huge nests sit on telephone poles near the River . Beautiful creature supposedly mates for life . We see them from the Clayton to Massena Stretch of river  about an 80 mile range .
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

Good Dad!!
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by warp daddy
I can attest that both bald eagles and Ospreys have made a big comeback in the Hudson valley too. A lot more komorants around then in the past as well
sig sig
Reply |

i rent a camp on warner lake for the summer and two eagles regularly fly by.  three years ago i had never seen one in the wild. beautiful to watch.
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

Where's Warner Lake siggy?
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
. A lot more komorants around then in the past as well
Whoa. Where are you seeing komorants at ? I know lake Champlain has a rather large komorant problem. They'd like to see that population reduced by approx 75%. I  believe they're considered anuisanse species there as they can clean out the fish population faster than a chinese trawler.

I spent last Tuesday on lake george volunteering for the asian clam survey. I went around checking for clams with the Fund for Lake George and garnered some info in the process.

Champlain has 50!  invasive species. 50 ! OMG !!! Lake george has 5. It's so crucial to clean your boat canoe kayak and paddles etc !!!

Consider this....... Lake Tahoe spends $1,000,000.00 per year just to treat one invasive ( asian clams ) in one bay !  That's one species  in just one spot ! It's not hard to imagine these invasives completely overwhelming/ruining an ecosystem.

We saw an eagle and another very usual bird in the air. What appeared to be a C130 flew down the lake valley at an altitude lower than the mtn tops