11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Samnaun, CH 01/29/13

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
Day 3: Ischgl and Samnaun
Whereas the previous two days, I stayed in the middle of the ski area, I took advantage of today's clear weather to travel counter-clockwise around the perimeter. If you've never been to the Alps, that's the incredible thing that no ski resort in North America can offer -- being able to travel long distances on your skis and visit different villages. Salt Lake City *could* do it, and there are proposals on the table to connect the four Cottonwoods mountains with the three in Park City, but my money is on it never happening.

Here's the map again if you're interested in following along:

Starting at the Grand Central Station area at Idalp (where eight different lifts/trams/gondolas converge), I went looker's right to Höllenkar:

Then down to Fimbatal on the far looker's right:

Up one HSQ that ascends 3,100 verts to the top of Palinkopf:

Then down a long expressway that drops 4,000 verts across the Swiss border:

and into the village of Samnaun:

... which allegedly has 64 duty-free shops selling everything imaginable that you then schlep in your backpack to your hotel in Austria. Seems like a lot of work to save a few shekels, but duty-free is a huge racket there:

You then take a double-decker tram back up 4,000 verts to the Alp Trida section, which is still in Switzerland:

Alp Trida is like a huge volcano crater, easily a mile wide, with lifts going in every direction from its center. I spent the next 2.5 hours trying out the different terrain pods, which had beautiful conditions. Unfortunately, that is where the day's clear, sunny weather went poof as a storm moved in with 50 mph winds and stinging graupel, so no decent pix from Alp Trida, however, before that happened, I found this French couple getting zany:

I went all the way back to the Fimbatal section and had lunch at a lively outdoor restaurant/bar/cafe.

One thing you have to come to terms with in the Alps is Euro Disco. It's unavoidable and part of the scenery, so you just make do -- and goof on everyone who seems to enjoy it, like this lady who was shaking her bum to, I kid you not, a disco version of Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again."

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Samnaun, CH 01/29/13

JasonWx
views are breath taking..the double decker tram is too cool.

i know your a vegetarian, are there enough veggie choices on the menu?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
JasonWx wrote
views are breath taking.
The only way to convey the scale here is to stitch together a bunch of photos into a panorama. Still, I'm dying a thousand deaths by having no one with me to get action shots. Oh well, at least I know that I skied all these incredible lines.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
  Keep it coming that's some cool stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Jamesdeluxe wrote
I'm dying a thousand deaths by having no one with me to get action shots...
Yea I don't THINK so!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Those are great shots. The "touring" is so cool and not like anything in the US. I think I see some ashtrays (remember those?) in one of the shots. Is there much smoking?
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Thanks James...

Please keep the reports coming, so nice of you to throw yourself on the grenade for the team.!!!!

I'd gladly take your place if I didn't have to go wash some dishes... You'll just have to man-up and go ski some more...

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Loving it. This is awesome.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Spectacular stuff and thanks so much for sharing !! UR living the dream .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Jamesdeluxe wrote
One thing you have to come to terms with in the Alps is Euro Disco. It's unavoidable and part of the scenery, so you just make do -- and goof on everyone who seems to enjoy it, like this lady who was shaking her bum to, I kid you not, a disco version of Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again."

Did you get digits or what?

Looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing and enjoy!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Not sure if you are still there.  Since you are by yourself you should really hire a guide to get way off piste that you may not feel comfortably doing by your lonesome.

It looks great - I have not been to this part of Austria - it just goes to show that there is tons of great skiing over there as long as they are having a good snow year.  I've been to Europe many times and I've mostly been lucky with snow but a few times in a bad season or week had been faced with what amounts to good eastern groomers skiing and then eating and drinking super well.  It may not always be all Powder is my point but no matter what its super fun and a really great experience.  

Rumor has it next year PSIA is going back to Europe for the National Academy - Matt - start filling your piggy back now.  That is the trip you do not want to miss.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time