classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Saratoga arts center question

Z
I have lawn tickets to SPAC to see Zac Brown Band in a couple of weeks.

Need some info on the lawn seating.  Not sure if it's on a hill or not.  Do camp chairs work?
What time do we need to get there to stake out our seats?
Can you bring food drink in?
Where do you park and what does it cost to park?

Thinking of doing the track then concert double play
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Saratoga arts center question

Chris
If you want a view of the stage, you'll be on the hill.  I think the show is sold out, or close to it so expect the lawn to get crowded, especially the further down you go.  If you're looking for Real Estate get in at least 30 min before they take stage to claim your spot.  Collapsible chairs are permitted, people do put blankets out, but in large crowds they often get thrashed just FYI.   It's an amazing venue, plenty of room to walk around, lots of porta jons and many great vantage points

I think you can bring sealed containers (Non alcoholic) in, maybe small snacks?  You can find free parking in the park (I prefer parking over by the auto museum, it's free).  There is paid parking anywhere from $5+.

That'll be a great day between the track and Spac.  Make it a TriFecta and ride SMBA, Moreau or Gurney Lane or Luther in the early mornin'.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I have lawn tickets to SPAC to see Zac Brown Band in a couple of weeks.

That should be a great show!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Chris
Chris wrote
Make it a TriFecta and ride SMBA, Moreau or Gurney Lane or Luther in the early mornin'.
I second that suggestion!

Sold-out shows can be quite packed, so I'd get there even earlier than Chris suggested, like an hour plus.  Pretty much anywhere on the slope is good.  You'll think you've got some pretty good elbow room staked out on the slope, but then people will start packing in and you'll slowly get squeezed from all sides.  If it's really crowded, the entire slope will be filled and people will be setting up on the flat lawn area above the slope.  You don't want to be up there as the sound and the view will be marginal at best.  Personally I think a blanket is a better option than chairs - you'll probably be on your feet for the whole show if you want to see anything. And those chairs are a pain in the ass to carry.

The parking near the Auto Museum is good, but be prepared for a long wait exiting after the show.  You can also park in the two lots on either side of Route 50, but they can have long waits getting out as well.  Probably the easiest in-and-out parking is near the Avenue of the Pines entrance off South Broadway, in the vicinity of the Dance Museum. It's a pleasant spot for tailgating as well.  The drawback is that you'll have a long walk (15-20 minutes) to and from the show.

You probably won't have a ton of time between the track and SPAC for eating, plus all the restaurants in town will be crowded.  I'd suggest packing a picnic ahead of time and bringing it with you into SPAC.  Arrive early, stake out your space and enjoy your picnic dinner on the amphitheater lawn.  Rules vary from show to show about what they'll let you bring in, so check their website or call.  Classical performances are the best (ballet, orchestra) - you can bring in bottles of wine, beer whatever.  Glass containers are a no-no for all rock performances.  Plan B could be to just tailgate it at your car before the show.  Beer and wine are available inside but it's a ripoff, it'll make you think the track was a bargain.

Good luck and enjoy!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
I'll rain on the parade a little. I've been to about a dozen shows there and won't go  if I don't have seats inside. Unless you're down and jammed in the closet possible spot to theater its like standing around listening to background music. You can hardly tell what's happening on stage
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
I would split the difference if you are looking to both track and do the show on the same day.  Park on/near crescent street.  There is some free on street parking there.  Grab your stuff, walk to the track.  Do the track thing.  FYI, final stretch is that weekend so downtown gets a bit crazy, they shut down most of the streets around Broadway.  Also, it is a giveaway day so expect they track to be a bit crazy as well.  After the track walk back to your car, eat something (five points deli is in the area and has good food).  Then, walk to SPAC.  It will be a bit of a hike but not too bad.  Crescent puts you at the top of the avenue of the pines.  Otherwise, you are going to be driving your car about a 1/2 mile and paying for parking both times or having to walk forever for free parking plus getting stuck in traffic.  After the show hike back to your car, hit the secret exit onto 87... and your gone.  No traffic.  No paying for parking.  If you are into the bike thing throw your bike on your car and go that way.  Granted, I'm in town but the only way I will go to either place is on my bike.  

For Spac rules... http://www.spac.org/venue/ground-rules.  You are seeing a Live Nation show so pay attention to that.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
I'll rain on the parade a little. I've been to about a dozen shows there and won't go  if I don't have seats inside. Unless you're down and jammed in the closet possible spot to theater its like standing around listening to background music. You can hardly tell what's happening on stage

I don't agree. I went there three times when I lived there, twice with excellent seats paid for by my company, fifteenth row center. First was Dave Matthews, who I don't like a lot, but, hey, it was free with pre concert party. I left my seat, never to come back, because it was just way too loud down there (Matthews! And Benny was/is a big Ramones fan, back in the day). I found the lawn more comfortable, because the sound was fine, and there were four large screen TVs out there, so you could see the stage. That place was not designed for loud, amplified music. More like small orchestras with the ballet. Rock is too much.
If the big screens are up, take a walk and get some fresh air outside. Nice experience.

American Pharoah rockin' the Travers! Man, I miss that town.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Benny Profane wrote
skimore wrote

I don't agree.
But you actually did confirming you were either watching it on tv or just walking around.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Sure. Lots of hot chicks out there doing the same. Hard to carry on a conversation down on row 15.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Agree with this these days. The crowds at that place are ridiculous and it's true that you really have to get low down on the lawn to get any sort of view of the stage (and then they'll kick you off the landing if you try to stand closer). I guess the people watching is okay, but I don't like to pay lots of money to watch people when I can do that for free in a lot of other places. If you don't have a seat, it's almost better to just not buy a ticket, save your money, and lay a blanket outside the gates in the park.

The exception to the no-lawn rule is the Jazz fest when they let you bring in wine, beer and tents and you just hang out and go between the stages listening to great music and walking up as close as you want.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
 Hard to carry on a conversation down on row 15.
What did you go to the show for Just go to Caroline st for the other stuff
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
skimore wrote

Like I sorta said, Dave Matthews sucks. But, the tickets were free. And his audience is something out of Abercrombie and Fitch world. Hubba hubba.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Benny Profane wrote
skimore wrote

Like I sorta said, Dave Matthews sucks.
Which really has nothing to do with the lawn kind of sucking
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Pack a cooler and drop the family at the main gate off nelson avenue. Find a spot for your cooler and chairs near the paddock. No glass. After you drop the family drive back down wright avenue towards town. There's a place off madison that charges less than $5 for parking. You'll probably be able to find others for $5 too. Don't pay more. Pay for clubhouse admission and take the escalators to the top level to watch the races from up high. Don't bother with buying seats. You can also get right up on the rail if you mosey up 10 minutes or so before a race starts.

Zac Brown is a pretty big show. Not Phish/DMB big but I wouldn't count on being able to see anything if you bring chairs. You will most likely be standing for the show anyway unless you get there way early. If you are early and bring chairs make sure to set up right next to one of the walking paths down to the lower level. Parking inside the park is $10-$20. Another option is to park at the YMCA and walk the bike path over to space. Its a 15-20 minute walk.

Grab some shake shack burgers before you leave the track or hit up the esperanto's booth at SPAC. Most of the regular food at SPAC sucks. You can also hit leons if you like mexican. Its between the track and spac and won't be too busy since its outside of town.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The family has decided that adding the track to the day is just too much.  Just going to the show.  Does that change where to park?  Maybe tailgating is a possibility.  Can you do that in the SPAC lot?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Get of exit 15 head into town. Follow signs for route 50. Going down 50 spac is on your left. When you see the sign pull in the parking lot and park. Easy.  They put a lot of work into the parks golf course. It's s really good track. Really good. And it's like 34 bucks. Or just hang out at the pool during the day. They have a fancy name for it.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Saratoga arts center review Zac Brown Band

Z
The good

We picked up Hattie's chicken and got into the Hwy 50 parking lot by 4:45.  We got off at exit 13n and took old post road to northvale to 50 N.  I'd go that way again for sure a little longer but seemed to avoid the worst traffic.  Got a nice shaded spot in the tailgating section where the cars were not parked nose to end.  Despite the no booze signs everywhere I read elsewhere that as long as you drank from a red Dixie cup  you were good and that played out.

Two of our group went in right when the gates opened and got us a good spot about 50 feet up from the front of the lawn.  We had a good view of the  video screen sitting and standing a good view of the stage.  Zac Brown Band put on a great show and he sounds just like his recordings.  It was my sons first true concert and they rocked it out.  Best song for me was the Allman Bros Can't you see which was almost 20 mins long.

The bad
They way over sold the lawn section and we're still selling lawn tickets that day.  It was crowded to the point of not being safe.  There was not enough security either.  Tons of drunk off thier ass 20 something's that were there to drink not watch the show that all seemed to wander around thru the maze of the dark lawn all show long.  

There is not anywhere close to enough bathrooms for that many drunk kids.

Walking out to the parking lot was truly unsafe.  We stood in one spot for like 10 mins on the Concourse before I decided to go back to the lawn and sit down and wait it out.  Then the high school dropout ushers harped on us that we had to leave when there was no where to go.  What moron designed that place with a single 30 foot wide bridge that 20k people need to walk across all at once to leave?

The parking lot all funnels to 3 lanes at a stop light but the cop who was not directing traffic was blocking one of the three lanes.  We had the kids play bocce while we had a drink and soda for the DD while we waited for the traffic to go down.  Got back home at 1:40.

We had only paid 100 bucks for a 4 pack of lawn tickets but I would pay for seats in the future.  Who manages Spac?  It is a $hit show of the highest order?  The venue just can't handle that size crowd and it is not well laid out or managed.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
NJ Performing Arts Center is the same basic set..They always over sell the lawn and have inadequate facilities..

The most important rule : Always leave 20mins before the end of a concert.. It makes the experience so much more enjoyable..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
cant you see is Marshall tucker band....
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I've been to the NJ venue and this was so much worse.