Secret to not getting drunk?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Secret to not getting drunk?

Skidds
Read an interview someone did with Bill Koch (Boston Brewing Co.).  Obviously the guy drinks a lot of beer.  His secret to not getting drunk?  He ingests a teaspoon on dry active yeast per drink he has/plans to have.  The yeast includes the same enzymes as your liver uses to break down the alcohol, it just starts that process in your stomach, before the alcohol is absorbed into your bloodstream and makes you drunk.  Lessens the effect of alcohol, doesn't eliminate it.  I'll give it a try next time I party!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Secret to not getting drunk?

campgottagopee
Skidds wrote
   I'll give it a try next time I party!
WUSSY!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
Damn...and I've spent all these years just staying drunk so I wouldn't have to get drunk again.
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Skidds
Skidds wrote
Then what's the point?
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Wouldn't it be better to take something to maximize the effects of alcohol?  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
Skidds wrote
Then what's the point?
No kidding ----- that would be like kissing thru the screen door
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I am among those who are confused by this thread.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Good points, but let me clarify.  Notice I said party.  There is casual drinking, and there is partying, at least for me.  Casual drinking with the wife or friends, at home or at a bar/mountain when I don't have to drive....yes, drink to get drunk happy, no need for anything to slow the effects.  That is most of my drinking.

Then there are the days I know I'm going to party.  For example, 4th of July in our neighborhood, when the party starts about 2:00 in the afternoon and doesn't finish until the poker is done some 14 hours later, with a substantial fireworks display once it's dark enough.  If the yeast minimizes the effects enough that I can drink all day and keep a happy buzz as opposed to getting sloppy drunk.....I'm down for that.  Once a year I always seem to end up hard on the tequila on some occasion or other with my buddies, and that usually doesn't end well.  Maybe the yeast trick would be good for one of those benders.

Not saying I'm going to whip out the yeast every time a have a drink....but on occasion it might be useful.  Yeah, ok....you could say just slow down on the drinking if you know it's going to be a long day, but that's just the equivalent of saying 'I'll pull out, I promise!'
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
If I have to go to a wedding of something that will last a while I just alternate - every other drink is water. Works for me.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Yes, slowing it down in what is generally a more responsible environment, like a wedding, is a good solution, and easy enough to do.  Keeping it slow in a somewhat less responsible environment...maybe not so much.  When you lose at beer pong you can't just say 'nah, I'm not drinking those cups cuz I'm taking it easy'.....at least not after you've had a few already.  Then someone breaks out the moonshine or shots......it's those occasions I'm getting at.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
If I have to go to a wedding of something that will last a while I just alternate - every other drink is water. Works for me.
Reminds me of this one time.....at band camp.....no, I was out with some of the more responsible professional type friends of mine.  Dinner at Ruth's Chris, followed by drinking and dancing at a nightclub, 5 couples in total.  The waitress brings a round of drinks....hands them out....and there is a water left on the tray.  The nicest, most mild mannered, father of three type guy boldly asks "What pussy ordered the water!"  Of course the most uptight wife of the group proceeds to grab said water and throw it in his face.  That was good for a lot of laughs for quite a while!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
there's water in beer----just sayin
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Skidds wrote

Then there are the days I know I'm going to party.  For example, 4th of July in our neighborhood, when the party starts about 2:00 in the afternoon and doesn't finish until the poker is done some 14 hours later, with a substantial fireworks display once it's dark enough.  If the yeast minimizes the effects enough that I can drink all day and keep a happy buzz as opposed to getting sloppy drunk.....I'm down for that.  Once a year I always seem to end up hard on the tequila on some occasion or other with my buddies, and that usually doesn't end well.  Maybe the yeast trick would be good for one of those benders.

Just an FYI...you can't drink all day unless you start in the morning...beer is for breakfast, drink or be gone!

Could be we just party different than most

Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Holy A-Z Zone!
In honor of my recently departed friend, Ralph: If you chew your Qaalude, you'll get off faster.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Wouldn't it be better to take something to maximize the effects of alcohol?

this
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
I'm thinking Mr. Koch does this to save his liver from cirrhosis rather than to limit his buzz.

Not since my high school days have I had an issue putting down the drink if I felt I was going overboard.  Also if you are pulled over on the way home I wouldn't tell the officer: 'I had a few too many, but no worries. I ate some yeast prior to my drinking spree' ... Just a wild guess that wouldn't fly and you'd probably still fail a Breathalyzer.

And if you just like the yeast, like I do, drink unfiltered beer like Hefeweizen
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
MikeK wrote
And if you just like the yeast, like I do, drink unfiltered beer like Hefeweizen
...this...
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by lolkl
lolkl wrote
Holy A-Z Zone!
In honor of my recently departed friend, Ralph: If you chew your Qaalude, you'll get off faster.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by lolkl
lolkl wrote
Holy A-Z Zone!
Bottle of JD - a bag of shrooms..  
Let's do this thing...
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
dmc_hunter wrote
lolkl wrote
Holy A-Z Zone!
Bottle of JD - a bag of shrooms..  
Let's do this thing...
WOOT

Our 4th of July party last year started on a tuesday and ended sunday ...... this year?? Same thing....that's just how we roll