Ski Racing Kids!

classic Classic
274 messages Options
1234 ... 28
Z
Reply |  

Ski Racing Kids!

Z
Some Video of my son running Super G something I have never done and looks to be one of the coolest things a young ripper can do.

"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Reply |  

Re: Kid Stoke

x10003q
Coach Z wrote
Some Video of my son running Super G something I have never done and looks to be one of the coolest things a young ripper can do.<br/><br/>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WsFqi6sc9KA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><br/><br/>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yZBA3572LTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Great to see. That looks like a lot of fun. It would be nice if they had a speed camp for adults.

Reply |  

JasonWx
Coach
My buddy has 2 kids , that were big time racers during high school. They did the whole junior racing circuit etc...Once they got into college, they haven't touched their skis..
He admits he might have pushed them to much..
just saying...

"Peace and Love"
Reply |  

x10003q
JasonWx wrote
Coach
My buddy has 2 kids , that were big time racers during high school. They did the whole junior racing circuit etc...Once they got into college, they haven't touched their skis..
He admits he might have pushed them to much..
just saying...
Here is the other side of the coin: my son did not ski at all during high school due to playing 3 sports (soccer/basketball/lacrosse, no ski team). He is now a senior at SUNY Geneseo and this is his 4th year on the varsity ski team. He races both SL and GS and loves it.

GS at Labrador Mtn last weekend

Z
Reply |  

Z
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I'm aware of the burn out factor but this kid just wants to ski fast.  He is loving it - the Super G was an absolute blast for him.  He is scoring well and almost has a states invite locked up after just two of the 5 races.  For a first year U14 that is a really great accomplishment.  

We are trying to make sure there is time for social events and he really likes being in band at school.  He really wants to go to Northwood as its a much better academic environment with more freedom for the teachers to teach for learning and in a more engaging style instead of teach for state testing. They are starting a robotics program that really interests him there.

"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Reply |  

JasonWx
I was just passing on a experience my friend had with his kids.. I come in peace..
I wasn't passing judgement on how anyone raises there kid..It just saddened me to see two great skiers walk away from the sport...

peace and love

"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply |  

Re: Ski Racing Kids!

Z
I make sure I have a regular conversation with him to make sure he is having fun

I didn't race myself so I'm learning about this as we go

Harv I'm wondering if we should break this out into a kids racing thread

Z
Reply |  

Z
After my son got home from training at Pisagh tonight I checked to make sure he is having fun.  He told me skiing is THE thing that makes him happy.  

Reply |  

Gunny J
  Nice vids coach , ZZ looks fast. My son is in a race program at Elk. He loves and after the 5 hr program he still free skis some runs with me  .Good luck to his season.

Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply |  

DomB
In reply to this post by Z
Very awesome.  Congrats to your son, wife and you!

1234 ... 28