Quantcast

Slides Open

classic Classic View
102 messages Options
1234 ... 11
Reply |  

Slides Open

Chris
Whiteface Facebook says Beacon, Probe, Shovel =)

We'll be up there tomorrow

The day begins...  A mountain awaits.
Reply |  

Re: Slides Open

Harvey
Admin
Please be careful.

Facebook link:

http://www.facebook.com/WhitefaceLakePlacid/posts/10152375672300464

Scotty... what's the beta on the Dec 21 layer?

Reply |  

miker92
if anyone has extra avy gear i can borrow i 100% will go tomorrow.

Reply |  

Pants
There is no guarantee they will be open tomorrow.  

Reply |  

miker92
yeah, but given that they're open today i see no reason not to go up there and hope they are. i live far enough away that i cant find out whether theyre open or not before leaving my house and still get up there when i want to...

Reply |  

skimore
In reply to this post by Chris
Chris wrote
Whiteface Facebook says Beacon, Probe, Shovel =)

We'll be up there tomorrow
What's the point as they have no idea if the person knows how to use it

Reply |  

Coach Z
In reply to this post by Pants
Pants wrote
There is no guarantee they will be open tomorrow.
I agree with Pants - When they opened them this early in the past it was pretty limited so I would not count on Tuesday.  They want to get the layers cut up so the snow will be more stable later on in the season when we get more snow.  Be careful I'm been in them early like this and it can be pretty hairy.  May want to throw a change of clean underwear in your pack next to your probe and shovel.

"Life is like a snowball, the important thing is finding wet snow and a really long hill"  Warren Buffet
Reply |  

Pants
In reply to this post by skimore
The point of requiring avi gear is to weed people out...typically if you would invest the money in the gear, then you are at least an expert skier and able to handle the terrain.  No resort checks to see if you know how to use it.  

Reply |  

miker92
In reply to this post by Coach Z
1. i can deal with really hairy on one pair of underwear, thanks.

2. skimore's point never gets less true. i dont know how they could really enforce that without forcing you to demonstrate basic knowledge one way or another, but then there has to be a point where they're trusting you. the problem is you get SO many people who would never seek out that kind of terrain except for the convenient fact that it's lift served at whiteface and they want to be cool. look at the comment thread on whiteface's facebook post. "is avy gear really mandatory?" "anyone know where i can get a beacon?" if you dont know where to get a beacon you shouldnt get one and go skiing in avy terrain with it tomorrow.

Reply |  

skimore
Do they do a beacon check at the entrance

1234 ... 11