Sno was dead wrong!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sno was dead wrong!

Peter Minde
Back in the day - when I had the white Subie, so it would be 2000?  2001?  Mount van Hoevenberg hosted Junior Nationals.  They hauled dump truck loads of snow from either Intervale or WF to cope with a melting base in the stadium.  A massive effort.

This year, Mount van Hoevenberg is again hosting xc Junior Nationals.  Now they've got a great snowmaking device that will blow pow in temps up to 80 F.  They will go to the efforts necessary.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Just a week after the Gore ski bowl opened and it's now done toast finished for the season.

It was rocky last weekend and had to be worse this weekend and is going to be totally bare after the r*in this week.  They spent what like 3 days blowing 46er and it never opened.  Peaceful Valley is a dumpster fire trail that no matter how much speed you build up you'll lose it all and have to skate out.  That snow could've been used to have better conditions on the summit and connections to and from it for spring or resurfacing Sagamore so that Burnt Ridge isn't fully closed anytime there's racing on Echo.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Sags needs more love. Fustrating when its sister (or bro) Echo is so good but Sag left without the love this year.  Can spend hours on those two runs.  Not this year.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Now I'm not saying Whiteface planned their snowmaking perfectly.  They're far from it in fact.  But it's all on their failure to get a good base on the top of Skyward and connect upper and lower Skyward and has nothing to do with Wilmington, which is what this thread was started last year about.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Did Wilmington reopen last year after Z declared it finished? A lot of Gore trails looked finished, but then we got that March storm that saved the season.

I'm no expert, but I think mountains should try to open the terrain they have. I know that's controversial stuff.

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by snoloco
I’d expect that Wilmington will be toast by Friday if we get the high temps and rain that are forecasted.  That snow could have been on Skyward.  

Last yr it didn’t reopen.  It won’t this yr either.  It is very th8nnly blown and does even go the full width for about a mile of its length this yr.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Matt is right that it did open after Z said it was done, but only for a couple days before they decided to close it to save money and use the thaw as an excuse.

It is better covered this year than last year.  The first part to go is always that pitch into the first cliff section.  Last year it had rocks poking through the entire time it was open.  It was covered very well when I skied it yesterday and this year's thaw is less sustained than last year's was.  I think the snow there will last longer than they choose to run the lift.

Skyward and Mountain Run is what I'm concerned about.  The very top of both is very thin while the rest of the trails are covered well.  Lose both those spots and there goes expert terrain for spring and I will be skiing elsewhere.  And those would've been covered fine if they gave up on Parkway and didn't resurface Excelsior quite as many times as they did.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Did Wilmington reopen last year after Z declared it finished? A lot of Gore trails looked finished, but then we got that March storm that saved the season.

I'm no expert, but I think mountains should try to open the terrain they have. I know that's controversial stuff.
Sure but look at what the weather is doing these days. It’s like there is very little balance, it’s always one extreme or another and I’m not talking about politics here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Although I like the concept of the ski bowl interconnect, I knew from day one when they built it that they were spreading themselves thin. Literally. I've been to Gore dozens of times, and only once has the full on interconnect been open. Thankfully, Gore has plenty of other fun stuff to keep one entertained.  I've been to whiteface 6 times, and not one of those times was Lookout open. And 5 of those times were mid-season.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
Ethan Snow wrote
Although I like the concept of the ski bowl interconnect, I knew from day one when they built it that they were spreading themselves thin. Literally. I've been to Gore dozens of times, and only once has the full on interconnect been open. Thankfully, Gore has plenty of other fun stuff to keep one entertained.  I've been to whiteface 6 times, and not one of those times was Lookout open. And 5 of those times were mid-season.
E--I agree with you, but I won't give up on the bowl. No doubt they've had a tough battle with mother nature this season and given the total gore acreage "spread", it is tough to do everything they want to do.....right now.

But I'm optimistic for the future. Some positives I've noted this year:
-Saddle and summit building redos....those are major improvements.
-leaving a few trails ungroomed for extended periods (surely they're in trouble now)...it was nice to have Topridge whales for a solid week, Hawkeye bumped, Rumor gnarliness
-a slightly more--shall we say--"accepting"--woods policy
-increased staff...anyone else notice more folks maintaining the base, summit, saddle? Though I wonder if this came at a cost to snowmaking staff (I don't know enough to say one way or the other).
-Ski bowl activities--the commitment again this year to have the nordic trails open and groomed plus all the races they've been hosting is a good thing, and as a downtown property owner is a source of some pride

And yes--there are some negatives that need to be corrected still....but it takes a long time to turn a big machine like Gore...I can't help but feel we're on a positive course.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Skyward and Mountain Run is what I'm concerned about.  The very top of both is very thin while the rest of the trails are covered well.  Lose both those spots and there goes expert terrain for spring and I will be skiing elsewhere.
The top of Mountain Run is usually sparse because of the wind.  I'm surprised they don't do any snow farming just under the M.R. chair.

Riva Ridge is tough to get snow on as the winch cable scrapes it (or so I'm told).
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
If they can’t blow extra on Riva ridge they could blow a huge whale just off the top of parsons on the left and push push it up and then over the side into Skyward
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What was Sno dead wrong about originally?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
The meaning of life
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
That Whiteface should open Lookout Mountain last season.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
The meaning of life
His choice of major?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
The list is long.   Maybe start a thread!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
The better thread is who gives a rats ass what  that entitled little brat spouts off about ?  

But SJ ill play . Answer : Damn near everything !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
ScottyJack wrote
The meaning of life
His choice of major?
Where babies come from?
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Brownski wrote
ScottyJack wrote
The meaning of life
His choice of major?
Where babies come from?
OMG that was LARRY!