Sno was dead wrong!

42 messages Options
Z Z
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Sno was dead wrong!

2 weeks after the Lookout pod opened it now is done toast finished for the season.  

Look out Below was open for what maybe 5 days total?  That snow should instead have been blown on the top of Skyward which he s now brown and close to needing the shovel brigade to stay open.

WT was open today but was rocky last weekend and after the rain today will be closed.  That snow could have been 4 feet more on all the key trails.  
"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Re: Sno was dead wrong!

I can see sno saying:

"I was right. Don't cut it if you can't get it blown by Christmas."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
evantful evantful
Reply |

In reply to this post by Z
Looks like quite a bit of snow coming down in the ADK's. Hopefully that helps out alittle. Wont doing anything for Lookout though.

Im very interested in seeing the Belleayre Webcams tomorrow.....
Face4Me Face4Me
Reply |

Coach Z wrote
2 weeks after the Lookout pod opened it now is done toast finished for the season.  

Look out Below was open for what maybe 5 days total?  That snow should instead have been blown on the top of Skyward which he s now brown and close to needing the shovel brigade to stay open.

WT was open today but was rocky last weekend and after the rain today will be closed.  That snow could have been 4 feet more on all the key trails.
Last weekend, when we had 6000+ on Saturday & Sunday, having Lookout Mountain open was EXTREMELY helpful in keeping the crowds on the trails and lifts at reasonable levels, and anyone who skied those trails (on Lookout) was very happy to have them.

We've had an EPIC meltdown over the past 8 days, with record temperatures on several of those days. This is not anything that anyone could have reasonably predicted, and to second guess the decision to open those trails after the fact is quite simply ... ridiculous.

D.B. Cooper ... Remember our conversation this morning? The above post makes my point perfectly!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Ethan Snow Ethan Snow
Reply |

Coach Z wrote
How do you know this is fact? I am pretty sure a little grooming can fix up Wilmington. There are still guns set up on Lookout Below, and Hoyts. I don't think either of those trails were considered "finished." I think they were hoping to make snow there again. Due to how severe this dumpster fire has been I think they would be smart to blow snow on other trails that are more important like Essex Mac or U Northway, or Skyward.

I think Whiteface did the right thing to open Lookout when they did. They had no way of knowing this disaster was coming and all they were trying to do was get all the mountain areas and key lifts open for the busiest part of the season. The fact that Mother Nature basically just told all us skiers to go fuck ourselves, well that's out of our control.

Coach Z wrote
the shovel brigade
It's called a groomer. There's a ton of snow on Skyward, it's just not in the right place. Take a look at the intersection with lower Sky and Niagara, and look at how much snow gets deposited there. What WF needs is a conveyor that a groomer can just that snow onto to cary it to the top.  A night's work with a winch cat can accomplish almost the same thing.

WF blew snow first weekend in March last year, and I think they should do the same thing again. In key locations. The rest of the month of March MAY turn out to be ok.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Ethan Snow Ethan Snow
Reply |

In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote
 This is not anything that anyone could have reasonably predicted, and to second guess the decision to open those trails after the fact is quite simply ... ridiculous.
very well said.
Z Z
Reply |

The long range forecasts all had this warm up in them weeks ago.  

WT is a dumpster fire trail that no matter how much you blow on it rocks come thru.  As I written many times that trail is in the wrong place.  It should be down in hollow where SVG is.  

If they do decide to blow again it certainly won't be on Lookout.  The reality is that now that the busy weekend is over they want to lay off lefties so not running that chair saves them over a grand a day between labor and electric.  

They had to blow WT I get that as much as I fricking hate that trail.  LBO should not have been blown - period.  At that point it was a certainty this warm up was happening and that snow needed to be blown at the top of Skyward.  They should be blowing a Superstar lite mini glacier there, on the spot on Niagara that always washes out and on the top of Mt Run.  
"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

Don't know if they'll be able to make much snow even if they want to. It looks warm for awhile and if a couple more weeks go by " warm " , then it gets cold, they won't blow, too late.

Hard rain today for hours. As Ethan put it, this has the feel of a disaster.
Ethan Snow Ethan Snow
Reply |

Next weekend looks like a great snowmaking window. That was almost exactly the same time they made snow last year in March.

I wasn't suggesting they make more snow on Lookout. Although, I suppose they could just leave the summit to rot and focus on keeping Lookout open. I don't even like Skyward. Would much rather ski LBO and Hoyts.
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

Snowsnookie hasn't posted in 10 days, likely his new friend Glade has convinced him to try another venue for his musings.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.