Administrator
A classic case of Greif Grief.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Snow Gone!

JTG4eva!
Things will pick up, hang in there.  Looking forward to Placid/Whiteface next weekend, whatever it brings!  

The snow’s out there.....

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
This is has happened for the last 3 years in a row - good start, total melt in late Dec/Jan then great finish.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
It will be back

We seem to always hit our avrg snowfall each year. We're in the do fer mode right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowBound
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Friday at Whiteface was great for snow, not so good for actually to see where to ski.  Saturday at Titus was also great for the terrain that was open.  Skied great with no one there; excellent grooming for what they had to work with.  Sadly, the Sunday stop at Snow Ridge was canceled (they closed).  Emergency trip reroute to Bromley.  Best boiler plate that I have ever skied on, and again we had the place to ourselves.
Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User
Can't wait to get back out on some primo boiler plate.  Way better and not to be confused with your normal everyday boilerplate in the east.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Looking for cheap flights to SLC.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Benny Profane wrote
Looking for cheap flights to SLC.
Does that exist?  Best Iast week was $800 round trip.  Lodging isn't cheap out there either.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Cheap (ish) flights to SLC = The Great White Whale....but it can happen.  My success was late in the season though.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
My brother is flying to SLC tomorrow.  Don't know when he bought his tix but he got $227 RT direct...
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Southwest. Albany - SLC Dept 2/4 return 2/19 roundtrip $360. Ski bags no charge, can't beat that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
And AirBnB for lodging, Mexican food down in the valley. Of course you need a car, but, skiing is expensive, I guess.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Are you staying in Salt Lake, or near one of the mountains?

I've always wanted to go to Alta but it's like $350+/night to stay there.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
TheGreatAbyss wrote

Have you ever looked at the rates for a dorm bed at the lodges at Alta?  Get the same food, just have to share the room and no private bath.  I did that at Alta Lodge during a trip where my ski buddy and I had the choice of driving to JH or staying in SLC at the end of a trip after our friends had to fly home to get back to work.  The snow was better at Alta . . . I even extended my trip a couple days by changing my SW flight home to catch a snowstorm.

Or just stay in the Motel 6 in Midvale and take the bus.  I know a bunch of SkiSE guys who used to do an annual 5 day trip to SLC.  Four in a room at La Quinta Midvale (free breakfast, indoor pool and hot tub), use public transportation so no rental car needed.  That was in the days when the SLC SuperPass was the way to go to cover lift tickets.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
TheGreatAbyss wrote

I did the dorm bed thing at the Rustler.  It was fine.  My trip was late season, so I only had to share the room with one person, and only one night, but even if you are in with more the rates are decent considering you get nice meals.  Guy I met was nice, we ate together and had beers.

Very late season at Snowbird they offer pretty decent deals on hotel rooms.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I got frustrated and book RT to SLC for week after next, staying at GMD in a private room. Expensive but I’m worth it.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
I have stayed in slc twice. If your an early riser driving up to Alta mid week is not bad. There is also something to be said for sleeping at low elevation . There is also some great Mexican food in slc. That being said. If they get an ass kicking storm and u can’t get to mnt u May regret this move.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
The Ikon pass gives me 25 days in SLC, with five at Deer Valley, so a car in the valley makes sense. And, yeah, the mexican is good and cheap.
funny like a clown