Snowbasin UT, 02/11/2019

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Snowbasin UT, 02/11/2019

nepa
We hit the road on Sunday.  Destination: The Wasatch.  The past week has been phenomenal in the Cascades, so it felt weird leaving... but it looks like our timing is good.  There have been copious amounts of snow down here over the past couple of weeks, and there is more to come.

It was a 10 hour drive from Wenatchee to Ogden.  We were initially going to Alta today, but called an audible when we saw there was a significant delay associated with the access road up Little Cottonwood Canyon.  8 inches were reported at Snowbasin, so it seemed like the next logical destination.  The area is an easy 30 minute drive up the road from Ogden.  It was a bit windy, but we found gondi accessible hippy pow all morning, and as side-country gates opened in the early afternoon, we lapped the John Paul chair and the Allen Peak tram for easy traversing to steeper untracked lines in the afternoon.   For my first day in the Wasatch, it was fantastic.  

Side Note:  A blessing in disguise.  I lost a ski (Icelandic Shamans) in deep snow at home on Saturday.  Currently I only have one pair of functional skis.  My other skis were a casualty of thin December conditions at Mission.... repairable,but not repaired yet.  I brought along a snowbard, but Alta is on the agenda so I am demoing  boards on this trip.  Today I rode the Salomon QST 106. Quiver Killer is the first phrase that comes to mind.  This ski made my day.  We didn't ski anything super deep, but it seemed to make everything else today seem effortless.  I have secured a pair of Rossi Soul7's for a trip over to Alta tomorrow.  It will be interesting to compare and contrast the capabilities of the 2 skis.

One of the many Hippy Pow offering at Snowbasin

Valley View

Front/Back View from the top of the Allen Peak Can

View from No Name peak
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snowbasin UT, 02/11/2019

JasonWx
A  Snowbasin report without a pic of the bathrooms?!?!?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Thanks for sharing.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Strong words from a guy who hasn't posted in a pic in... forever?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I remember a picture of a little fish a while ago
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
A  Snowbasin report without a pic of the bathrooms?!?!?
I was having so much fun, I forgot to take a piss!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by nepa
Good job man. Looks dreamy
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|