So Fast

19 messages Options
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

So Fast

Anyone watching the world champs (if you do, please don't give it away yet)?
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

Re: So Fast

unless you ride or ski
most can't comprehend the balls these downhillers have, the crashes are spectacular.. Love watching Gwin and Hill
"Peace and Love"
Reply |

Ballz, skillz, and incredible f'in strength.

Gwin is like a 5'-10" pile of muscle.  You can see his strength when he rides in how little the bike moves for the speed he holds.

And yes, if you were to see that shit up close that they bounce through at 30 mph, you'd definitely have a lot of respect.  Most riders, and even good one, would walk down sections of the WC course.

They used to have a WC DH at Windham  Part of me wishes Whiteface would get their shit together and build a WC course.  Would love to see one there.  I honestly think they used to use Windham because of proximity to NYC though.  Not sure WF would fly.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
That is impressive. Takes some huge balls
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply |

If you want to check it out, just check out Red Bull TV.  They cover all UCI races and the world champs.  It's taped so you can watch it on demand.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

This is cool. I embiggened the video, made it responsive.

Never really watched any downhill except for a few Aaron Gwins at Plattekill and the time his chain broke and he still won.

That wooden bridge is funny, I don't think a single wheel touched it.

I am in awe that those wheels can handle it and stay round.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

I went to watch one of the DH's that was held at Windham. They gap jumped a connector ski trail that went under a chairlift, landing in a narrow gap in the woods between 2 trees right before a gnarly section of trail with boulders and rock gardens. They were and are so much fun to watch.  IMHO, it is the mental commitment to the trail/obstacle/race on top of fitness and skills that makes DH'ing so impressive and fun to watch and sets those riders apart.
Reply |

Moar! Friday and Sat Practice. Race is today. Trying to get motivated to get out for a ride before the rain hits us and watch this later.

Editor: fixed video
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

When you crash are you DQ'd or do you just lose the time?

It seems like they don't get back on.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply |

Harvey wrote
When you crash are you DQ'd or do you just lose the time?

It seems like they don't get back on.
They have to get back on the course exactly where they went off if they go over the tape, which sometimes means hiking back up.

Usually after a crash you've pretty much lost it at that point, but most of the top riders get back on and rip it.  Usually the only thing that stops the big boys and girls is flats or broken bikes.

Thanks for fixing the vid.  This forum mystifies me.  I've never even heard of Nabble before I came here.  What did you do?  I'm using a Chromebook, so I see everything just fine posting using the embed tags.