So, Millennials.....Quibi?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

So, Millennials.....Quibi?

JTG4eva!
It’s targeted for you, so what do you think?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: So, Millennials.....Quibi?

campgottagopee
Had to look that up. No clue what it was. To be honest I still don't really knwo what the hell it is.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
campgottagopee wrote
Had to look that up. No clue what it was. To be honest I still don't really knwo what the hell it is.
I would have figured that!  

Heck, I stream video on my phone all the time and I didn’t know what it was until a couple of weeks ago, when my daughter told me she was meeting with Doug Herzog (former President of MTV and Viacom), the lead content/programming guy at Quibi.

If you ask Jeffery Katzenberg (it’s his baby) it’s the next evolution in (scripted and unscripted) video entertainment. To many, come April, it’s going to be another Streaming Video on Demand (SVOD) entrant vying for $5 a month of your money.

Bottom line, it’s a short form video streaming app dedicated to mobile devices.  What the heck does that mean?  They are going to produce original content designed to only be viewed on mobile devices, delivered in quick bites (Quibi) that are 6 to 10 minutes in length.  That will include full length movies shown in 20 short pieces, scripted series with 6 to 10 minute episodes, 6 Minutes (a shortened version of 60 Minutes) news programming, and unscripted lifestyle and reality programming with short episodes.  That kind of stuff.  

Katz has spent over $1b in original programming, with a truly impressive array of talent from Steven Spielberg to Alexander Wang, and everyone in between, clamoring to contribute.  It’s all primarily targeted at the 25 to 35 year old demographic, on the go, with phone in hand, who doesn’t have time to sit down and watch something for two hours, and will be willing to consume quality original content in small pieces when they have a few minutes.

The outside range for their demo is 44 years old, so they aren’t marketing to us old guys.

I’ll be curious to see how it goes off, but with the multiple power players on the management team to the A list directors and actors it seems to be a pretty big thing.

So, Millennials...are they barking up the right tree?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This is the first I’ve heard of it. I admit I don’t get it. Short form programming already exists on other platforms. Some of it is brilliant. I really enjoyed Garfunkel & Oates and F’cked. Junior has not heard of it either. He is educating himself now and will give you his evaluation presently.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Holy F!!
It's amazing what's available nowdays. Heck, I remember how I felt when the TV Remote came out, that confused me too
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski

What the heck does that mean?  

They are going to produce original content designed to only be viewed on mobile devices, delivered in quick bites (Quibi) that are 6 to 10 minutes in length... unscripted lifestyle and reality prog...  That kind of stuff. 

Who's gonna do the first Skiing Quibi of their fantastic run?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
 I didn’t know what it was until a couple of weeks ago, when my daughter told me she was meeting with Doug Herzog (former President of MTV and Viacom), the lead content/programming guy at Quibi.
So, Millennials...are they barking up the right tree?
Is this post... An ad for something your daughter is working on?

A feeler before you invest money in something?

What is the point of posting this on the NYSkiBlog? Is it gonna be a regular thing where you ask about every new internet company that comes along (do you guys know about Weebly!?? What about Nooklyn!?!?!)?

People who don't work in tech, even millennials, have better things to do with their time than stay on the cutting edge of every shitty startup. If it catches on, I'll check it out. If it doesn't, I won't. Hardly useful to be an early adopter in such a crowded space.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Geesh, who pee'd in your Cheerios this morning.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
campgottagopee wrote
No shit.  Did I somehow violate the Off Topic board???

It would appear this is just (the usual case of) MC acting like an a dick toward anything I post.   Seems he likes to assign some nefarious alternative motives to everything I post????  Yawn....

No, my daughter isn’t working there.  No, I’m not investing (or planning to invest if it ever goes public, which it currently isn’t).

I have a forum where I have “internet friends”, people who consume tv/video/film via apps and streaming, and a group that also includes Millennials.  So, given that some of the biggest players in Hollywood and the business world are involved with a relatively new (there have been a couple previous smaller failure on the short format mobile streaming front) take on a media form most of the group uses, one that is targeted at Millennials, I thought it might be interesting to talk about on the Off Topic board, since it’s, you know, off topic.

I guess I’m sorry that offends you.

FYI, you could have just said....

MC2 5678F589 wrote
I wasn’t aware of it.....If it catches on, I'll check it out. If it doesn't, I won't. Hardly useful to be an early adopter in such a crowded space.
.....without getting your panties in a bunch.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JTG4eva! wrote
campgottagopee wrote
No shit.  Did I somehow violate the Off Topic board???

It would appear this is just (the usual case of) MC acting like an a dick toward anything I post.   Seems he likes to assign some nefarious alternative motives to everything I post????  Yawn....

QFT

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Those with smart TV's, how do you feel about the spying on the news lately. I've been toying with the idea of going with Roku but I'm a bit apprehensive about it now.

Is this just the typical media hype?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
Those with smart TV's, how do you feel about the spying on the news lately. I've been toying with the idea of going with Roku but I'm a bit apprehensive about it now.

What are you talking about?

They're "spying" on what you watch? I've got some news for you: you're not gonna stop that.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
FYI, JTG, you could have just said this:
JTG4eva! wrote
Yawn....
if the post bored you.

But seeing as how you wrote a ridiculously long screed in response (that addressed my questions), I'm going to assume that you actually found my issues with your post to be worth addressing (and, as usual, camp did too).
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
He’s talking about recent statements from the FBI and stories in the media regarding newer smart TVs that have built in cameras that may actually be used to “spy” on what is going on in the rooms those TVs are in.  It’s not about tracking what you are watching.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yawn....
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote

They're "spying" on what you watch? I've got some news for you: you're not gonna stop that.
What JTG said

https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/01/fbi-smart-tv-security/
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
The bully is back and wants to fight
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
campgottagopee wrote
He had a good point.  It’s really only a “fight” if I feed the troll, so I’ll just ignore his childish nonsense going forward!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JTG4eva! wrote
campgottagopee wrote
He had a good point.  It’s really only a “fight” if I feed the troll, so I’ll just ignore his childish nonsense going forward!
I guess.

He's not a fighter, rather a bully.  He's looking for power, always needs to be right, and gets a kick out of when he can upset anyone. Kill him with kindness.

That said, I really like the guy
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Crazy how I'm a "bully", yet you guys keep attacking me.

If you're looking for trolls, fighting, and "childish nonsense", you guys need to look in the mirror.