Sort of a big deal

75 messages Options
1234 ... 8
JamesP JamesP
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Sort of a big deal

Is it me, why doesn't anyone announce their presence when they are going past you. In the last few weeks I've had a decent amount of "close encounters", you know when some one ski's past you or cuts you off, and not once has anyone seen fit to simply say "on your right" , I'm not talking about crowded weekend days, but mid week when you almost have to seek someone out to get close. Is it that hard when overtaking someone to simply let them know, Believe me if you are the faster skier a collision  can wreck your day too.
Z Z
Reply |

Re: Sort of a big deal

At Gore on Saturday twice I had poor skiing morons ski over the back of my skis.  Both times I  was way on the left edge of the trail making short turns and they were guys that were way in the backseat and had no clue how sucky thier skiing actually is and neither stopped.  I caught up to both and explained the error of there ways and existence to them.  One guy acknowledged that I had the right of way and other guy had no conception that the downhill skier has the right of way.  Gore gets a lower end segment of the skier population than WF is my take on that.  
"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Hoser Hoser
Reply |

This has become an issue at Gore last few weeks, especially on Sunday. Where did these happen?  My wife almost taken out earlier this month, and others I know very close calls.  Agree its due to the level of the skiers here.  They are in too deep.  Even on Sunway.
Z Z
Reply |

on chatimac and and the other I don't recall maybe sagmore

both of them bozos skiing on the tails of their skis that have no clue

with more sustained pitch like at WF they would not even be on the same trail as me because you you do that at WF and you become a human missile
"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
dmc_hunter dmc_hunter
Reply |

In reply to this post by JamesP
JamesP wrote
Is it me, why doesn't anyone announce their presence when they are going past you. In the last few weeks I've had a decent amount of "close encounters", you know when some one ski's past you or cuts you off, and not once has anyone seen fit to simply say "on your right" , I'm not talking about crowded weekend days, but mid week when you almost have to seek someone out to get close. Is it that hard when overtaking someone to simply let them know, Believe me if you are the faster skier a collision  can wreck your day too.
I'm dyslexic... I've actually turned into people.
I ski with a deaf person...   She can't hear the warning.. In spite of people yelling at her...

Audible queues cannot always be trusted...
SIAWOL SIAWOL
Reply |

In reply to this post by JamesP
yep--several of our crew have commented that at times it has been downright dangerous during portions of the last few weekends.

I certainly don't advocate ski patrol police, but a handful of them strategically placed at the usual pinch points would be a good idea.

And whatever happened to the mountain host program? They used to do that kind of work in years past. Haven't seen any at all this year.

typical pinches:
sunway/quicksilver intersection
potluck/sunway
2B/Arena/Wild Air
Sunway/Showcase
lower jamboree---after about 9a that is a serious learners' trail and folks just go bombing through there---my wife (as a learner) is getting pretty ticked at having to worry about that traffic while she's still trying to stay upright on her own...
Z Z
Reply |

In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
Says the guy from Hunter where people skiing poorly on the tails of thier skis and running into each happens nearly continuously
Hoser Hoser
Reply |

What did happen to the Mt Host program? right, seen zero this year....what's up?
green light green light
Reply |

Same color coats as instructors...
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by Z
Please share the data you are referencing.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1234 ... 8