Storm Speculation 3-2-18 (Riley)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
53 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Storm Speculation 3-2-18

snoloco
Windham is now back open after a brief power outage.  Hunter and Belleayre are closed due to power outages.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Not in NY, but the Berkshires are getting dumped on too.  Jiminy Peak got 12 inches overnight but had to close mid-afternoon due to power outages.  Berkshire East closed due to heavy wet snow, high winds, and power outages.  Presumably both hope to be open for the weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
Catamount looks like it got bullseyed too. They posted they were closed for high winds today so they ought to be pretty good tomorrow too
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Is a full on Blizzard at plattekill and seems like we're getting two inches an hour the wind is ripping the lift running and I think maybe we've had 20 in
So Platty stayed running all day?  At Belle everyone was saying all Cats ski areas power outage, including Platty...
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I don’t wanna hear about what other people thought might have happened here or there.........you had your skins, right?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
SO...

Plan kinda backfired...even though I knew that could happen...

Started out great, woke up to this:

Was down the street from the mtn and it was soooo crowded when we got there:

Snow was heavy...but not as heavy as I was expecting....it was deep and still nuking:

Then things started to go wrong...
While booting up in the Overlook lodge, power started flickering. Lifts stopped.  
End up overhearing that Gondola is running on diesel and Tomohawk is running...so we figure we'll deal with the deep snow on the flats to get to gondola-->tomohawk.
Get to gondola....ride that (first time I've been to Belle this year, it is a pretty nice gondola despite it's rediculous application).
Get news all lifts aside from gondola not running due to limited power.  Can only run gondola on diesel.   OK, not worst thign ever we can still ski.
So we take a ride up, ski back down.  Great snow. Heavy, but not as heavy as expected.
Down at gondola again we find out the majority of the county has a power outage so they are shutting the whole mtn down.

Take shuttle bus from Discovery Lodge to Overlook to get skins, everyone pretty much has left the place at this point.  Many unhappy ppl complaining as if it was Belleayre's fault there was no power.  People are fooking stoopid.

Skin about half way up outer trail, get stopped by patrol on snowmobile.  Guy was cool about it. but basically said they'd appreciate it if we don't do this because they have to sweep the mtn.  Convince the guy to let us keep going until we see the sweep guys, so basically we weren't out there that long.  Original plan was to make it to the Cathedral Brook trail and skin up and ski that zone but to do it and avoid patrol would have taken much more time and effort approach wise from lower down.

In retrospect prob should have went to Platty, but hard to pass up using my ORDA pass...

Oh well, it was better than going to work!

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Hey, it was an adventure, and you pushed the Belle envelope.......so a noteworthy day to keep in the experience bank. 

Riley.......you were there!!!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
ADmiKe wrote
Harvey wrote
Is a full on Blizzard at plattekill and seems like we're getting two inches an hour the wind is ripping the lift running and I think maybe we've had 20 in
So Platty stayed running all day?  At Belle everyone was saying all Cats ski areas power outage, including Platty...
All day and it was truly a great day of skiing by anyone's standards...for any location.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I did have my skins but didn't need them.

Platty lifts ran from 8:30 - 4:30 without a stop.  The wind was insane.  Mountain was 100% open.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Damn!  Two of my friends are still up there tonight...me and another guy had to come home tonight   Wish I could ski tmrw I'd def head to Platty.  Haven't been there in a looooong time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Wow. 40"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Just came across this from Riley:

P.S. TY, Yosef!