The Decline of Online Forums?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Decline of Online Forums?

Jamesdeluxe
The NY Times posted this piece about how message boards are allegedly going the way of the dodo bird.

From a skiing perspective, we could argue that forums are alive and well. In addition to this one (which is relatively new, but growing), TGR, Snowjournal, Alpinezone, and the French-Canadian Zoneski are all alive and well.

Are message boards like TV shows -- do they all have a limited lifespan?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Decline of Online Forums?

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Maybe. I belong to an ATV forum that I mostly lurk on. Even though it's a noncontenious forum and this is it's prime season, it is slowing down.

I suspect the forum members just simply get talked out on the subject material. After awhile it's the same old blah blah blah even for the hard cores.

My Dad says " Every 7 years, you need a new hobby ".

Are hobbies/forums/mtns like signifacant others? Every so often you want a new one?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
NYTimes writer wrote
It took my husband and me eight months to conceive our first child. Much of that time was passed in bored agitation, like a long wait at a Verizon Wireless store. To pass the time, swap information, and quiet my mind, I turned to an online message board for women who are Trying to Conceive — TTC, one of the first message-board acronyms I learned.
LOLZ. Maybe if she did a little more snugglin, she could have achieved her goals early, with less bored agitation.

I may be kidding myself because I spent half of last summer trying to get this thing up and running, but I think skiing forums may be a bit different.  I like ski forums for the pics.  I want TRs for conditions and pics.  I also dig a good story.  There may be a better format for presenting that kind of info than a forum, but Facebook and Twitter aren't it.

Be interested to hear what others think.

I guess if you are reading this thread, by default you must think forums have some remaining relevance?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Still here and enjoying the forum
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
ZoneSki is still operating a robust website with tons of articles; however, they pulled the plug on their forum a couple years ago. Props to Harv, who's a ski forum version of Billions' Bobby Axelrod ("I am a survivor and I am willing to do whatever it takes to avoid my fate!").
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
T4T just closed its forum this past week. The software was out of date and the forum was little used. When a recent issue happened, the owner decided to just pull the plug and I can't blame him.

Since this thread was started years ago, AZ (while still running) is a shell of its former self. I stopped posting there before the mass exodus. But SJ, NMS, and HR still going!

I'll echo Jamesdeluxe with a hardy "rock on" to Harv. Definitely a thankless job. Still a great place to chat about skiing! I think that is significantly because of Harvey's enthusiasm for the site. Things fall apart when forum owners disconnect or sell out.

For me, it comes down to this: Long form posts > Status updates

Most people don't feel that way, but that is my take. Which is probably why I hardly post to social media.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
riverc0il wrote
The software was out of date and the forum was little used. When a recent issue happened, the owner decided to just pull the plug and I can't blame him.
Nabble is a piece of crap with two guys running it, who could quit at any time.  Every morning I wonder, will it still be there...  

I know I say this every year, but we are moving to bbPress which is a part of WordPress. We have made some progress recently, but my developer is now out of action for two weeks. I always wanted to make the switch in July, which is the bottom of the dead zone but if my guy tells he is ready in November, we're going for it. I want it done.

Everyone is going to have to rejoin, if they want to continue.

bbPress is very stripped down and what it lacks is the ability to shut down trouble makers. I'm going to take way less shit after we switch, and may consider an invitation only model.

The one advantage I have is that I don't give a shit about making money. If we had 50 members who loved to ski and post stoke, and the site shrunk, I don't really care.

Sincere thanks to those of you who have supported me and NYSB. You are the reason I put up with you know who.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote

I'll echo Jamesdeluxe with a hardy "rock on" to Harv. Definitely a thankless job. Still a great place to chat about skiing! I think that is significantly because of Harvey's enthusiasm for the site. Things fall apart when forum owners disconnect or sell out.

Echo, echo

Thanks for what you do Harv
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Harvey is the man!!

Ski forums do seem to be going by the wayside.  But, I'm perfectly content with the smaller pool... between NYSB and Snowjournal I get what I need..
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks guys.

Forums have long been the place for an older crowd,  and now facebook seems to be filling that role.

The thing i like about the forum format is that its a kind of publishing or blogging for the OP, but easier.  I love reading your TRs. I get a kick coming to the tr forum after a big day at Plattekill  or Gore or Magic to share good feelings.

For me, I love to blog but I also feel some pressure to "do it right" with a coherent story and good photos.  When I  come to the forum to post a TR, I'm  free to let it rip a little,  make some bad jokes or whatever.

Also the OT is fun for me.

It's  a bit of a relief with the political stuff gone. No one emails me saying so and so was mean to me etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Like to echo the others : Harv you do a great job with this  site .   The people here are fun , have interesting and diverse backgrounds and skiing experience . There is no only skiing stoke but lively commentery on interesting issues .

ROCK ON HARV , u da man !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.