classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1194 messages Options
1 ... 5657585960
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Golf Thread

tjf1967
I'll be there.  Couldn't hit squat today.  Lost 20.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
 Tried my new Cobra driver out , found all fairways but distance was weak at 9.5 degrees it was 210 at 12.0 degrees ramped up to 235 but early season you get no roll help especially after heavy rain yesterday . It'll improve as the club starts to feel right
interesting. i read an article last year that basically said get the ball in the air and let it do the work. my driver has always been at 10.5 degrees. i should increase the loft and see it it buys me any distance.  
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy

SIG:

Yeah at 77 now i decided to go with the 12 degree setting after the first 4 holes . My old Callaway was adjustable 12-14  but 12 was the optimal last season

This new club is 9-12 , i didnt  like 9.5 today as i said no roll . NOW maybe in mid summer when things are firmer ill give 9.5 a shot again butbfor now 12.is the money setting

For yrs i played 10.5
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
We all are better off with more loft.  Read when pros have added loft

I used to go with 9 degrees - now at 10.5
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I had a “foam in one” today on LP Club Links 9th hole
7 iron from 136 into wind
Clearly hit the foam and diverted the ball a bit
Counts as a 1 but probably won’t make it on the club house wall but I consider it my 2nd ace
Ended up with even par 71 with two 3 putt bogeys.  A couple greens are still way slower than others

I waited almost 50 years for my first hole in one last fall and now another
I really like how I’m hitting the ball.  Looking forward to getting some roll
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Z wrote
I had a “foam in one” today on LP Club Links 9th hole
7 iron from 136 into wind
Clearly hit the foam and diverted the ball a bit
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

I say it doesn't count. It's like a "I did it but nobody saw it" hole in one.

Unless you take it out of the cup and have a witness, it ain't a hole in one.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I agree that it is less special because of the foam
But I also know this would have went in.  It pinged off the high side of the foam At the slow end of its roll and based on playing that hole 500+ times and the break of the green being pretty strong it was going in
I’m glad this was not my first ace
Still it’s memorable in our current Covid experience
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I'll be there.  
👍
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
I agree that it is less special because of the foam
But I also know this would have went in.  It pinged off the high side of the foam
Maybe I'm just upset because I hit one the other day that was tracking right towards a raised cup (cup above the putting surface), but I couldn't make out whether or not it actually hit it.

Since I have never had an actual hole in one, of course I couldn't count it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Where we play the foam is cut a couple inches below the lip of the hole. The ball actually goes in so there's no question as to whether or not the putt was good. Too bad it's not that way for you guys too.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
Where we play the foam is cut a couple inches below the lip of the hole. The ball actually goes in so there's no question as to whether or not the putt was good. Too bad it's not that way for you guys too.
Yeah, my normal course it can go in the hole.... This was a little par 3 course (5 minutes from my house) that I go to to work on the short game.
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Z
Congrats on your foamer. If allowed, just cut the foam bitch down a few inches so the ball can be holed and still allow ball to be taken out of the hole with 2 fingers or putter tip.

Mentioned an idea I had regarding flag stick removal to folks yesterday at the course.
Use red white or blue wash cloths instead of the nylon flags and dip em in soapy water every now and then.
Folks already have golf towels. Kills bat poo flu and can use to wash golf balls if dirty.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Our cups at LP Club where the foam is more than the ball height above the grass so there is no way it’s going in.  With the foam the ball tends to deflect off it.

We have a lot of par 3s especially on the Mt course where you can’t see the green well or maybe just the top of the flag.  There are a few totally blind greens as well.

The 9th on the links is a raised green tilted back towards the tee so you can clearly see it.  It also has a big trap about 10 deep in front of it And a mound and trap behind so club selection is very important.  It is on a very windy section of the course so it can be anywhere from a wedge to a 7 iron.  It is probably my most birdied hole on the links course after the short drivable 17th Par 4 hole

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
https://www.wsj.com/articles/toilet-paper-hand-sanitzer-golf-pushcart-shortage-coronavirus-11589735390

I have a clic gear 3.0 which I figure I have 5000 miles on and was looking to gear a new 4.0 one for Father’s Day. Did a search this weekend and couldn’t find one.  Then saw this article yesterday.  Makes sense as people that never walk had to but that may change soon
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Nice shot Z !

No foam noodles in our pins at all, there is a metal ring insert with 4 prongs that allow the ball to hole in about half way then it easily is removed without touching the flag by either by a couple of fingers  or putter ..

Im wearing two gloves and have lysol in my cart bag even tho they are sanitizing carts before and after use , course is in decent shape but as per usual this time of year ....no roll outs  

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Pro got foamed today. His 3rd shot on a par 5 one hopped into the hole and popped out. Still cool to see 😎
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Nice Pro !!!

I shot a 37 , one over today  ..    BUT Played  a course where they put plastic bottles on the pole so ball couldnt drop .

Too damn easy , nice course but frankly that pin set up,sucks . Will go back to my reg course where the ball drops in was there twice this week  42/41
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That was a blast TJ. We will do it again 👍
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
My 87 year old friend who walks the course made an ace yesterday playing in the 4some ahead of us.
I won a dollar from the other "pretenders" as we won front back and all-day and had 1 birdie. I also got a free beer from the ace. The other team made 3 birdies with "only" 1 actually being holed as it hit stick and bounced straight back an inch away. We let em count it as it would have obviously sunk using "real" golf rules.
We have tournament today with distancing rules in effect. 2 man scramble. Flighted after first day. Partner is 93 or so, fun to ply with and plays great. I'll put him in some places he's never been as he hits em straight.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Where we played yesterday they had the cups in upside down. It worked great. Putts fell as they should and easily retrievable.
1 ... 5657585960