classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1194 messages Options
1234 ... 60
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Golf Thread

MC2 5678F589
That other thread is too ADD for me. Golf AND Shooting Woodchucks AND Drinking beer? Should be 3 different threads, for sure.

So I decided to start a Golf thread. Put up pictures and reports, talk about technique, complain about bad bounces, etc.

I've got high hopes for this year after a few rounds of breaking 80 last year (something I did only once before) and shooting a 34 on the front 9 of my local course (Eagle Crest in CP) for my all time best 9. My league starts tonight, so I'm hoping I can keep getting better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Golf Thread

campgottagopee
 U haven't lived until you take a .22 out playing golf--u can blast those lil bastards but good!!!!

I quit playing golf league about 8 to 9 years ago. One of my biggest reasons for quitting was all the putts that people give, that's not good for your game. If you're playing in tourney and you haven't attempted a "gimme" all summer long your azz is gonna pucker for sure

Kinda getting the itch to get out myself, soon, very soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Maybe I can convince Pro2860 to put up tips from time to time. Not only is he an excellent player but he's a GREAT teacher.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Ehhh, there's definitely a lot of putts given, but you can always putt out if you don't want to take them.

I definitely was thankful to have them last night, and I still 3 putted 4 different greens. My short game was ugly yesterday for sure. 22 putts for 9 holes = 46 - not a good start. Greens were tough to gauge speed. Some were shaggy, some were fast. Oh well, next time I'll putt better (but some other part of my game will probably suck)
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
mattchuck2 wrote
Ehhh, there's definitely a lot of putts given, but you can always putt out if you don't want to take them.

I definitely was thankful to have them last night, and I still 3 putted 4 different greens. My short game was ugly yesterday for sure. 22 putts for 9 holes = 46 - not a good start. Greens were tough to gauge speed. Some were shaggy, some were fast. Oh well, next time I'll putt better (but some other part of my game will probably suck)
True, you can still putt out, but IMO, you shouldn't because what happens if you miss it?!?!? Yes, it was still given and your score wont change, BUT still in the back of your mind you missed it and that will screw with ya. At least it does with me. If someone gives you a putt ALWAYS pick it up.

I wouldn't give too much weight to putting right now. As you say, the greens are bumpy/shaggy/slow so your not getting a true roll on the ball. This time of year I try and concentrate on line and not speed. Speed control will come as greens get better, then worry about it.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
totally agree - putting is 99% mental

I've only been to the driving range a few times and hit it well with my new Cobra Amp Cell driver.  I'll probably ski only for a few hours in the morning this weekend and go over to P'burg to get in 18 one day.  I drove past the Lake Placid Club yesterday and there was still a good bit of snow out there.  It will all melt this week and then a week to dry out so they will likely be open by the end of the month.

I'm heading to NC for a business trip next week and will be playing a round or two down there so that will be great I hope but my game may not be ready for that.  I finished the year with my HCP too low so a few tough rounds will help get me back to where I belong somewhere around a 6 or 7.

The early discount for the Nysef outing is May 1 - I'm going to sign up today - Matt if you want to play sign up and ask to play with me.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
mattchuck2 wrote

True, you can still putt out, but IMO, you shouldn't because what happens if you miss it?!?!? Yes, it was still given and your score wont change, BUT still in the back of your mind you missed it and that will screw with ya. At least it does with me. If someone gives you a putt ALWAYS pick it up.

I wouldn't give too much weight to putting right now. As you say, the greens are bumpy/shaggy/slow so your not getting a true roll on the ball. This time of year I try and concentrate on line and not speed. Speed control will come as greens get better, then worry about it.
wow!  for someone who gave up golf 9 years ago you sure have a lot of advice to swel forth!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Hey, look!  there's a chciken!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Z
NYSEF tourny

I am about to register and I noticed that for the $75 sign up fee you also get a free practice round on Saturday (after 2pm) which for non members of the LP Club this makes this a great deal

I'm signing up today and if you want to play ask to join my team. Price goes up to $95 after May 1
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
 (yawn)... the golf thread was better with chuckin' and beer!

a few years back i was down in myrtle and looked up an old friend of my dad's who was a course pro to play a round. one hole he tells me to lay up or play far left away from the pond. i wasn't seeing the shot and when i asked him why he tells me that the groundskeeper feeds the gator hard boiled eggs to keep things interesting!  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote
mattchuck2 wrote

wow!  for someone who gave up golf 9 years ago you sure have a lot of advice to swel forth!
I gave up LEAGUE golf you dork---now I mainly play matches/skins games with my buddies and tourneys---got it??? good
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
 (yawn)... the golf thread was better with chuckin' and beer!

Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I played my 3rd round of the year yesterday. I hit 15 greens in regulation but managed to shoot 77 with 6 three putts! 

My putter which worked great my first 2 rounds was M.I.A! It always amazes me how something that works great one day can be gone the next.

In golf everything is temporary. Sometimes this is a good thing..sometimes not..
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
pro2860 wrote
I played my 3rd round of the year yesterday. I hit 15 greens in regulation but managed to shoot 77 with 6 three putts! 

My putter which worked great my first 2 rounds was M.I.A! It always amazes me how something that works great one day can be gone the next.

In golf everything is temporary. Sometimes this is a good thing..sometimes not..

I dunno how you guys play that game.  A good walk spoiled.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Noah John wrote
pro2860 wrote

Who the hell walks??? Cant even imagine carrying all that beer.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote

Yeah, these early season greens are so variable. I had another 4 three-putts yesterday. Still shot a 43, but it could've been way better. My irons are looking good, but I had a couple of erratic drives. Definitely feeling better this week, though (might have had something to do with the beer I brought - beer cart girl isn't out yet).
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
just got back from Myrtle.. 1st time in 10yrs I chased the little white ball..I can still hit em straight..I can't putt for shit..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
 Definitely feeling better this week, though (might have had something to do with the beer I brought - beer cart girl isn't out yet).

AMEN!!!!!

Let us not forget the game was invented by a bunch of drunken Scots

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
ohhh shit that was funny!
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
pro2860 wrote

LOL...I find it funny that Elmira, NY has a municipal course named after the person who originally quoted that..
1234 ... 60